1 2 3 4 ... 10
eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
5/7/22 6:03 p.m.

I can't wait to see a photo of it, alongside the CBX!

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/7/22 8:17 p.m.
eastpark said:

I can't wait to see a photo of it, alongside the CBX!

About that. It also means I have officially taken over the garage and the wife parks her Prius outside. Part of the deal is that I officially have to brush off and warm up her car every day in the winter now. Knowing I'm doing it because I have another Ferrari inside will make it worth it. Lol 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/22 8:19 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

Sounds like a good excuse to build a new garage?

5/8/22 1:14 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

Sounds like a good excuse to build a new garage?

That's next if I can get contractors to call.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/8/22 7:35 a.m.

Mondial coupes are very cool, this one is the perfect color and looks like a lot of fun. I was also a fan of the 308 GT4 but any Ferrari is really cool. Subscribed watching this one.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
5/8/22 8:35 a.m.
OjaiM5 said:

Brilliant! In today's world of Bring a Trustfund car prices this is an amazing car for the money! So happy for you. 

I love the Beverly Hills car Club website. I go there an turn the filter to price low to high. I usually stop looking around 30k. Super fun site. It's great when there is just a carcass of some epic classic for lots of money. 

Yes, I was checking out Mondails there, yesterday. They have a nice red one, coupe, non-runner for 30k. Seems a bit...optimistic?

5/8/22 9:44 a.m.

^ Their $30k Mondial looks pretty clean but without it running it's a huge gamble. It not a QV so they really are the least popular and least powerful. If it's a fuel pump then not a bad buy but if it's bearings, it's a mess even doing the work yourself.

It a pretty solid looking car in person and the original plan months ago was to have a PPI done on the 81 and if compression was good, then throw $5k at it bringing it up to speed and ship it up.

Mine came in the inventory a few weeks ago and being the better engine and about the same on a few cosmetic bits, I just shifted the plan to the 84. I had to have a runner in order to get it on the ferry either way so I was way ahead on unknowns. After driving it and letting it idle for 20 minutes, the oil pressure was excellent and the cooling system and fan worked great so I was sold. The Sammy Hagar listening experience on that Alpine deck also solidified the purchase. I wasn't going home without it.laugh

If I had a dealership, it would be like BHCC. I actually like their approach. Lots of antique semi to real exotics some in show quality shape and others in "it is what it is" condition. It's honest and isn't used car deception. They list all the faults they know, take 1000 pictures and don't discourage inspections. Also only a $85 dealer fee, no CA state tax since it's going out of state so no extra charges for me compared to an individual.

I have been a member on F chat for probably 12-13 years and after recently posting looking for a Mondial I got maybe 4 hits with leads. A couple basket case non runners and a couple cream puff late model T's closer to $80k.  If you know what you're looking for and what values/inventory are nationwide, sometimes you can find a reasonable deal there and I felt the number I paid was actually really fair.

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/8/22 9:56 a.m.

Well you are unique in that you like the BHCC and Mondials.

5/8/22 10:26 a.m.
maj75 (Forum Supporter) said:

Well you are unique in that you like the BHCC and Mondials.

Ok I'll bite and this is the last time I'll address weird negativity like this in this thread. I am detecting you don't like the dealer or Mondials so for you this thread is a double eye roll.

How I read that post was "Well you are unique in that you like a crappy car dealer I don't like and you like a crappy model of car I don't like either."

First the dealer:

I had a good buying experience at the place. That's my experience. I know what I'm getting into and know what to expect. We emailed for a few months and setup appointment and shipping quotes. Extra pictures and contact info to local respected technicians were provided. Super transparent and helpful. LOTS of their customers may not be "car people" or be buying on 100% emotion so they see some dream car that needs some work and then after purchasing it realize they can't afford it and are mad at the dealer for selling them a car with issues. That's why it was more affordable. If you are mechanically competent and run the numbers on every car they sell as a project to start on, you can find decent deals occasionally. This thread isn't about them.

On the Mondial itself:

Yeah I like them. They are rad.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
5/8/22 1:25 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/8/22 1:45 p.m.

Best autocross car ever. Plus a dog would fit in the back seat.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
5/19/22 10:43 a.m.

Even the "worst" Ferraris are still fun. Enjoy!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/19/22 10:56 a.m.

Congrats!  Looks like a fun car.  After following "briansquestionabledecisions" on Instagram, the idea of a daily driver vintage Ferrari doesn't seem so crazy.  

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/19/22 11:03 a.m.

Install remote start on the Prius

golfduke
golfduke Dork
5/19/22 11:33 a.m.

I love this so much.  I was sad when you sold your Z, but this makes up for it.  Can't wait to see this car in front of some amazing Alaskan Hardscapes. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/19/22 12:02 p.m.

Aside from the fact that I've never seen a Mondial auto-x before, my favorite part of the video is that one backseat passenger is watching the line and the other just has their head flopping around like a doll. 

5/19/22 4:59 p.m.
Placemotorsports said:

Oh it's already installed but still brushing and shoveling will be involved.

And bringing coffee and breakfast in bed and other chores to keep her happy. As I look at building a set of HRE 505s, I have to factor in the additional amount of laundry and dishes I would need to do to keep the peace if I made that decision. 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/19/22 5:23 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

I have been a member on F chat for probably 12-13 years and after recently posting looking for a Mondial I got maybe 4 hits with leads. A couple basket case non runners and a couple cream puff late model T's closer to $80k.  If you know what you're looking for and what values/inventory are nationwide, sometimes you can find a reasonable deal there and I felt the number I paid was actually really fair.

You mean there are actually Ferrari basket cases out there? This could lead to some really bad decisions. devil

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/22 5:42 p.m.
Placemotorsports said:

I thought they had this standard.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
5/19/22 8:10 p.m.

What will it cost to ship from Washington to Alaska ?

5/19/22 8:49 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Placemotorsports said:

I thought they had this standard.

Nope!

5/19/22 8:51 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

What will it cost to ship from Washington to Alaska ?

$4300 covered from LA to Anchorage. $3200 of which I believe is covered and climate controlled on the water. Gotta keep the rust and seagull poop to a minimum.

5/19/22 8:52 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

You mean there are actually Ferrari basket cases out there? This could lead to some really bad decisions. devil

Uh yeah buddy. I have a past build thread on here with one of those basket cases. Pretty sure photobucket killed the pictures though. I still have fun with bad decisions. Some people call them learning opportunities and I call them adventures.

MaxC
MaxC Reader
5/20/22 4:18 p.m.

Awesome car!  It's been a life-long dream to own a Ferrari someday, and for some reason I keep settling for Nissans.  I acknowledge that the Mondial might not be the "coolest" Ferrari, also not sure I care that much.  Is it fun to drive?  Does it still feel fast and fun to drive, despite being slow to today's standards?

6/1/22 2:20 a.m.

The other 5-6 AK Ferrari guys have sent over a couple pictures from last year's meet in Portage and it was driving me crazy. Pretty sure this is a scan of a print which makes it look like it's from 1988....

It's been 75 and sunny for week straight and I have been so bummed the car isn't here yet. BUT this afternoon, I got the call that the car has made it off the boat. I ran home, got a jump box, tools, and phone charger and took a cab to the port.

Super industrial area that was not flattering at all among the rusty ships and barbed wire. It stood out.  

I filled up with $100 (dang!) of ethanol free premium fuel and drove it straight home for a wash, touch up paint, and interior clean out. It was filthy and I had to get this thing semi-churched up immediately. 

Taking inventory and it looks like the side marker lens I ordered is gonna work:

Black paint pen 99% of the black trim:

Local color (i added) from the car's home state. A little period memento.

Official:

Ignore my hard water spots from my wonderful well. 

Interior slightly cleaned up but nowhere near detailed yet:

We're gonna go through all this later:

golfduke said:

I love this so much.  I was sad when you sold your Z, but this makes up for it.  Can't wait to see this car in front of some amazing Alaskan Hardscapes. 

Grab the good camera and lets tour the neighborhood for some of those good 'ol Alaska Hardscapes. I like that phrase.

How you'll know it's me:

And my favorite spot at the base of McHugh Peak in the Chugach mountains. In hindsight, I should have popped in that side marker first. wink

This is seriously wacky stuff even for the weird things I try and it checks ALL my boxes. Unloved models, gated shifters, Alaskan hardscapes. A project car in the same timezone again. 7500 rpm, 4 cam flat plane crank V8 noises..... I'm berkeleying thrilled that I was able to pull this off.

This weekend is a deeper detail, some maintenance, and then finding out what I really have gotten myself into. laugh

1 2 3 4 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U1kgSS8jHXZ57fWGgpn58IXhIG8qcjcjrKJhRaoimQTPVuy0nWHFKMHgl9eCtMIm