1 2
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/3/12 5:21 p.m.

A former roommate and I decide that we would find a to co-drive in autocross and rallycross this coming year. In the process this '84 Scirocco popped up on the local board. It was built to FSP rules and has an SCCA logbook. So here are some pictures.

Only rust I have found so far.

Why is the floor mat under the roll bar?

Things that will for sure be done; there is a constant buzzing from the dash, remove the floor mats from under the roll bar unless someone can think of a reason not too, fix the lack of working water temp gauge, add second seat (for instructors), get the steering wheel put on straight and do a little bit of cleaning up of the appearance. Then drive the hell out of it.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/3/12 8:55 p.m.

Looks like a good start. Are the springs supposed to be compressed?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/3/12 9:00 p.m.
noddaz wrote: Looks like a good start. Are the springs supposed to be compressed?

Those are dead coils. You can cut them out to reduce the ride height without affecting the spring rate.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
12/3/12 9:14 p.m.

inspiration for you :)

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/4/12 7:08 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
noddaz wrote: Looks like a good start. Are the springs supposed to be compressed?
Those are dead coils. You can cut them out to reduce the ride height without affecting the spring rate.

Thanks I was wondering that too.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
12/4/12 7:31 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Why is the floor mat under the roll bar?

For SCCA Street Prepared it needs a full interior. Probably had more of the carpet when it was built and lost bits along the way. If you want to autocross it in FSP, you might see if there are some more carpet bits lying around.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/4/12 8:00 a.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: Why is the floor mat under the roll bar?
For SCCA Street Prepared it needs a full interior. Probably had more of the carpet when it was built and lost bits along the way. If you want to autocross it in FSP, you might see if there are some more carpet bits lying around.

Ok. I am getting street mod and prepared mixed up I think.

Edit: There are a couple pieces of carpet in the back for the front I think. But there is nothing for the rear of the car.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/4/12 8:16 a.m.

Also what the hell is up with that strange CIS setup?!?

noddaz
12/4/12 8:19 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:

Learned me something! Thank you...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
12/4/12 9:36 a.m.

Sweet ride, Scirocco's were high on my want list when looking for a car before I got Loki. I'm sure tossing in some junk yard back seats and carpet plus some kind of passenger seat would satisfy all but the most anal of SCCA autocross rule book weenies.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/4/12 9:38 a.m.

How is a back seat going to fit?

Adrian_Thompson
12/4/12 9:44 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: How is a back seat going to fit?

It can be in the folded down position and it can be cut or forced to fit around the roll bar. It just has to be there per the rule book. Don't question it, just accept that the SCCA is always right!

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
12/4/12 3:50 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
It can be in the folded down position and it can be cut or forced to fit around the roll bar. It just has to be there per the rule book. Don't question it, just accept that the SCCA is always right!

this is why I pray that nobody from the Solo rules committee ever gets onto the rallycross board.......

Adrian_Thompson
12/4/12 4:06 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
this is why I pray that nobody from the Solo rules committee ever gets onto the rallycross board.......

That's when indipendant rallycross clubs will start to thrive

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
12/4/12 4:54 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Also what the hell is up with that strange CIS setup?!?

I don't see anything strange?

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/4/12 5:01 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote:

Maybe that's just the way he refers to all CIS setups...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/4/12 6:53 p.m.
ransom wrote:
chandlerGTi wrote:
Maybe that's just the way he refers to *all* CIS setups...

I have never dealt with the CIS setup and at first I was like WTF. And then I read about it and I am still confused.

noddaz
12/4/12 9:21 p.m.

Only looks strange to me because the airbox is on the wrong side as compared to my 86 GTi...

noddaz
12/4/12 9:26 p.m.
I have never dealt with the CIS setup and at first I was like WTF. And then I read about it and I am still confused.

The thing I find strange is the fact that VW used electronic fuel injection back in 1968. How Bosch talked VW and other Euro makes to dump that and go with CIS I will never understand. (Ok, maybe I would. The manufactures were convinced by Bosch that CIS was cheaper...)

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/4/12 9:30 p.m.

Removed most of the stickers and magnets.

Random splash of primer on the car.

Dent on the A-pillar...

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/5/12 12:32 a.m.

Think of CIS as an analog AFM EFI solution. The more air that the engine sucks in, the more fuel the meter provides.

Vacuum leaks will cause all sorts of stupid issues. Use the proper CIS gauge set to keep track of the fuel pressures and you'll be fine.

If you have to rebuild the fuel distributor or replace major components of the CIS system, then take the money and move to EFI. Until then? Shut up and drive the car.

Enjoy! Older brother had one for a while, he loved it until he stuffed it. It was that pretty burnt orange color of the 1st gens too.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/5/12 7:47 a.m.
turboswede wrote: If you have to rebuild the fuel distributor or replace major components of the CIS system, then take the money and move to EFI. Until then? Shut up and drive the car.

That is plan. IF something goes wrong, we will probably swap away from the CIS.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/5/12 7:53 a.m.

Bumper Stickers from Racer Parts Wholesale cause rust. Swap with GRM stickers that increase horsepower.

lastsnare
lastsnare New Reader
12/5/12 8:10 a.m.

are there 'live' coils below the field of view in this photo ? or are they all dead coils ?

banzaitoyota
banzaitoyota New Reader
12/5/12 12:16 p.m.

Do you have an extra front lense

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5rTxLT6G6yAlI8NyRbiHBL5hFRxAPzOosXO0RLec06GYw0KiDROi9jf1TA1fSFLl