1 2
albino09
albino09 New Reader
3/4/20 12:46 p.m.

In reply to f6sk :

If a moderator has to approve my membership request, I'm not clear why they can't help me fix my login credentials so I can access my old account. 

bandit_03
bandit_03 None
4/3/20 9:39 a.m.

Hey I know this car! 

Also, needed a first forum post so free bump, albino.

orthoxstice
orthoxstice New Reader
4/3/20 11:29 a.m.

Very cool car, I'm excited to see what you do with it. 

I've always wanted one of the turbo first generation cars (known as the Piazza everywhere else in the world) because they look like the S2 Scirocco. I've seen exactly two in my life and one for sale (badly rusted and an automatic). 

albino09
albino09 New Reader
4/3/20 2:58 p.m.

After I got the car home, it sat for a while as I contemplated what the car needed. A 14-hour blitz on the highways gives you a lot of time to think about things you would change. The first priority was the exhaust. I couldn't bear to drive it for 30 minutes, let alone an entire day as I had. Fortunately, my old Champ Car had dual magnaflows on it before we went straight pipe, so one of them is now at home underneath the Impulse's rear bumper. The welds are terrible, but hey it was basically my first try at it. Boogers aside, the car is now bearable to drive for distance and you can actually hear the radio at highway speeds!

Before: Straight Pipes and Misery

After: Boogers, but quieter!

Next, tires were absolutely necessary. The Kuhmo all-seasons on the car were purchased by Me, the first time I owned the car, back in 2009 with 2007 date codes. I wasn't psyched to drive those on the pilgrimage from NY, but I had little money or choice in the matter. Fortunately, an old Champcar team I used to run with was parting out their car and had a set of 225/45/15 RS-4s for sale for a price I could not refuse. I hauled the lot off to work and learned how to use a tire machine over the course of 2 hours. The new tires on the same 15x7 wheels really fill out the arches perfectly. I can't imagine changing the stance at all. 

While I was under the car working on the muffler change, I noticed the rear sway bar had no end links. I'm not sure what happened to them, as I had installed some 13 years ago. Perhaps a previous owner decided they preferred more understeer frown. I went on eBay and scoped around for adjustable end links for more common platforms - like Honda Civics. I found a set I figured would work fine, and ordered them on Amazon. I'm not sure what I expected, but I was impressed with the quality of the pieces. They should do just fine.  

Finally, I had been gotten wind of a JDM importer near Nashville and they had an Isuzu Bighorn (Trooper) in stock. Turns out, these Bighorn came with a fantastic factory Momo/Isuzu/Lotus wheel. I had to have it.

I kept an eye on eBay and found a seller with the exact wheel for $80, plus $60 shipping from the middle east. I had no confirmation the splines would be the same on a Bighorn rack versus my Impulse, but I figured it was worth a shot to try for that price. 

Old airbag wheel for reference. Wasn't even leather-wrapped on the top-of-the-line model!

Fortunately, removing the old wheel was simple, and the airbag harness had an easy disconnect underneath the dash. Easily reversible for the future, if I decide to put my life in the hands of 29-year-old airbag. 

Imagine my surprise when the new wheel lined up perfectly on the spline! Turns out this wheel is just a typical Momo with a billet hub underneath a nice leather pad. 

I really liked the factory paint marks on the bolts and tidy tape for the horn wiring.

I mounted the wheel and popped the cover back on. Could not be happier with the look.

That's all for now. For a final note, here's a picture of my big cat sitting in the Radwood-approved factory front bucket seats.

albino09
albino09 New Reader
4/6/20 12:01 p.m.

In reply to orthoxstice :

I'm sure the community could find you one in decent shape (relatively speaking). Check out the Isuzone.org facebook group. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/6/20 12:33 p.m.

I miss having these and don't miss them so much at the same time. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3CW8fR18SOJ3KyHRcx3kent1YIS4gpm3jYlkp1H03RbNvHmz0HQIYOqO4UIWtLf1