1 2 3 4 5 6
Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman New Reader
3/5/19 2:08 a.m.

Pseudo Sport...

Don't know if you'd be interested (I noticed you said you were doing an ABS delete) but I have an ABS unit (computer and ABS block) from a 93 Blazer that I have never used.

Originally it was for a Sy-CLONE I was building, but after realizing how bad the intended recipient was, I kaboshed that plan before I got in too deep.

I'd let you have it for the price of shipping. If not, anyone else is welcome to the unit for the same deal.

These trucks have been on my bucketlist since I was a teenager. 

I'm liking the direction you're going with this one.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
6/27/19 11:01 a.m.

Thank for the offer gingerbreadman but I dont plan on putting the ABS parts back in. 

It's been a while since I've posted an update and forget some of the little things I've done. Mainly I've been driving it on weekends and to work a couple times and have put almost 1000 miles on it. So far it's been great and I've been easy on the truck.

One big upgrade I had to do was swap out the motor mounts. Turns out the driver side mount separated and the engine torqued over far enough that the fan cut the upper radiator hose. Mounts are a pain in the ass to replace and took me 3 night after work to swap them out. Fortunately I was able to use my friends lift.

Alot of syty guys go with solid mounts but I decided to go with JTR mounts which are still rubber. They adapt over 2.8L mounts which are encased in metal and can't separate. They also sit further away from the manifolds which should help them not melt.

I havent had much time to work on the body so now that its summer I just want to keep the truck drivable. In an effort to make it slightly more presentable I buffed out the paint so that it's no longer pink. The single stage came back better then I expected. From 20 feet it's hard to see the missing paint and rust.

I've started hoarding some other parts too. Ended up buying another front bumper and support since a deal came up on ebay. The one I've been working on is still slight distorted and has been a time suck. I've also decided I'm going to paint all the cladding red. To me the gray cladding works with all the other colors but red. Since the truck has been stolen and is kinda beat I'm not worried about keeping it original. Someone can always paint it gray again someday.

Another project is going to be swapping on later 4.3 Vortec heads. Already picked up a second lower intake manifold so that I can modify it to fit the heads. I'll post some more updates once I start working on that.

Since 2 wheels on the truck are bent I've been trying to figure out what else to go with. Corvette ZR1 and sawblade wheels are popular choices but I've decided I really like the look of the vett Magnesium wheels. I found someone selling a set near me and plan on checking them out tongiht.

This is the look I'm going for but in typhoon form.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
6/27/19 11:51 a.m.

^ that's a great look.  

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/27/19 1:03 p.m.

+1 for magnesium Vette wheels. They come in a staggered setup on C5s, 17x8.5 front 18x9.5 rear, so make sure you get a square setup.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
6/27/19 2:13 p.m.

Set I'm going to look at are staggered. Plan is to sell off the pair I don't use to fund the ones I need.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
6/27/19 5:06 p.m.

Dang, there was just a set on Harrisburg cL for $200. I knew I should have snagged them even just to pass them on.

RacetruckRon
6/27/19 8:50 p.m.

In reply to PseudoSport :

I would be interested in whichever pair you aren't going to keep.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
6/28/19 11:15 a.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Do you happen to have a pair of 18's? Maybe we can trade or work out some kind of deal?

RacetruckRon
6/28/19 11:35 a.m.

In reply to PseudoSport :

I bought a square set of 17's. So I'm either looking for a spare set of 17's or a set of 18's so I can get 275 wide tires on the rear.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
6/28/19 7:23 p.m.

Argh almost bought a set off Craig’s the other day wanting to go 4 18x9.5 on the CTS V.  The bright side is they are really available - watch out for copies as the should read speed line on the backside of the spokes.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
9/12/19 2:36 p.m.

I was sick of how beat up the ty looked so I finally spray painted some more cladding and bolted them on. Not too pleased with how the paint came out on the front bumper but from 20 feet it looks ok.

Before

After

I have the rocker piece too but I need to order a rivet gun that will do 1/4" rivets.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
9/12/19 2:56 p.m.
PseudoSport said:

I was sick of how beat up the ty looked so I finally spray painted some more cladding and bolted them on. Not too please with how the paint came out on the front bumper but from 20 feet it looks ok.

Before

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/19 3:44 p.m.
GCrites80s said:
PseudoSport said:

I was sick of how beat up the ty looked so I finally spray painted some more cladding and bolted them on. Not too please with how the paint came out on the front bumper but from 20 feet it looks ok.

Before

hahaha dude's beard and eyes are a perfect match for the "before" pic

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
9/17/19 2:56 p.m.

Well E36 M3.

I was merging onto the highway over the weekend and suddenly heard some unhappy turbo noises. Rolled into it again and noticed it no longer makes any boost. Took the next exit and was able to limp it home. Turns out the plastics intake tube came apart and went through the turbo.

Fortunately the intercooler caught kept the chunks from going through the engine. 

I was hoping to start doing some mods next year but this screws up those plans. Now I'm shopping for a turbo that will go with vortec heads and a comp 422 cam. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
9/17/19 5:05 p.m.

Fix the tube and run it. Turbo will probably be fine.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
9/17/19 8:08 p.m.

.... or a sweet opportunity to upgrade the turbo.  Just sayin'.

Gtholen
Gtholen New Reader
9/17/19 9:36 p.m.

Cool project! Looking forward to following your progress. Hate to hear about the turbo issues. I had a friend who had a cyclone and he did the vortec head swap. He was always on Cy/Ty.net.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
9/25/19 4:13 p.m.

New turbo arrived. Went with a Precision 5862. Unfortunately it's not a direct bolt on since I'll need to make a new downpipe or spend $1k.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
9/25/19 4:39 p.m.

Pretty!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/26/19 2:10 p.m.

That turbo is BEAUTIFUL!

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
10/3/19 9:02 a.m.

Scored a deal on some rebuilt and ported Vortec heads on ebay. 

Port work is clean and simple. Just a pocket port and gasket match. No one went crazy hogging them out which was my biggest fear. Found a before picture of a Vortec runner to show the difference.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
11/18/19 5:05 p.m.

Finally had some time to start working on the Typhoon again. Main thing I've been focused on is modifying the lower intake to fit the vortec heads. I tig welded a 1/2 piece of aluminum above the ports then blended the runners the best I could. I also added some more material around the injectors just incase things got too thin. 

Still need to finish cleaning up the ports and outside then bring it to the machine shop to have it milled flat. 

I need to drill the heads for the new intake pattern soon but would like to mock everything up on the block first to see how everything lines up. That means I need to start disassembling the truck. Mid Nov outside in New England is not the ideal time to do this but whatever. 

3 hours later and I have the front of the motor apart and the exhaust crossover pipe off.  Hopefully I'll have it all apart by this weekend. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/18/19 10:02 p.m.

This project is so fun to watch.  I really look forward to seeing it with all the cladding and Vette magnesium wheels.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
11/25/19 4:59 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Thanks, it's been a fun project so far. Hopefully I can start back up on the bodywork in the spring. I also managed to track down another pair of 17x9.5 magnesium wheels too. 

It's been raining a lot this past week but I managed to get some more things done. Rest of the top end is apart and new cam is in.

Next up was modifying the heads. I've been dreading this part since I have to drill and tap new holes so the old intake bolts on. I started to over think it and planned on making a jig to drill the new holes. None of my measurements were working out like I hoped so I eye balled the gasket location, mocked up the intake, traced the holes, marked and center punched them, then grabbed a cordless drill. I propped one head up on a roll of paper towels on my driveway and drill and tapped 2 holes. No turning back now. Mocked it all up a few more times as I drilled and tapped more holes. Over all it went smoothly and the intake bolts on prefect.

While I'm waiting for more parts to show up I need to finish up the intake and get that milled flat. 

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
11/25/19 8:03 p.m.

I love the vortec head retro-fit.  Nice job making it work. 

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1KqUvodaQ38LoC6nu12GVh2FB6PxOkEkQ6PnlXeRmXdXotg5wX18UsaUMpIEYPRX