1 2
white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
12/23/18 12:38 a.m.

Courtesy of Philip Petrie, I have this excellent photo from last weekend's autocross. The car has continued to be a joy to drive. It was also a great vehicle to introduce my brother to autocross. 

I also finally installed my Cayman 17's with 225/50 and 245/45 Firestone Indy 500's. I ended up using 7mm spacers in the back 15mm spacers in the front. The fit seems to be good, but the front tires do have a minor rub. In hindsight, maybe a 225/45 or 205/50 would've been a better choice, but I'll wait until I take the car to an autocross to settle on a verdict. On the street, the car is definitely quieter and the ride is much improved. I also swapped the wheel studs that had been installed on the car for longer studs from Rennline. If you're looking, I think their kit is a great option.

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
12/23/18 5:50 a.m.
white_fly said:

There aren't any electronic aids to overcome on my car, so I suspect an LSD would be faster. However, this is just a fun car so I don't think it's worth the expense and effort to install it when the car already does what I want it to.

That's what they all say, at first.....

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
12/23/18 9:17 a.m.

In reply to Challenger392 :

Honestly, so far, so good. Having a shifter kart really helps with the itch!

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
12/23/18 8:44 p.m.

Video from the last autocross:

https://youtu.be/vuI6h3UHWcc

4Msfam
4Msfam Reader
12/23/18 10:37 p.m.

I love it!   Do you happen to know what company made the headlight / bumper update conversion?  It looks factory. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/24/18 8:21 a.m.

In reply to 4Msfam :

Looks like an OEM GT3 aero front bumper to me and aero package 2 OEM rear wing.  In my non-important opinion aero pkg 2 side skirts should be next.

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
12/24/18 11:57 a.m.

In reply to 4Msfam :

As far as I know, it's all factory aerokit stuff and 996.2 headlights.

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
12/24/18 12:25 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Funny enough, I may actually be replacing the engine lid and wing. Apparently the factory doesn't make them anymore, so they're ludicrously valuable to GT3 owners. I have a few different options for replacing it, but I don't really notice the absence of side skirts, so I'll probably leave it alone.

Dammit
Dammit Reader
12/24/18 1:33 p.m.

GT3 aerokit boot lid and Carrera aerokit boot lid are different- intake is in a different place for each engine. 

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
12/24/18 3:30 p.m.

In reply to Dammit :

That's definitely good to know. Maybe it'll stay?

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
12/27/18 11:48 p.m.

So, somewhat interestingly, my trunk/wing is the GT3 part rather than the aerokit one. This makes me happy.

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
4/15/19 6:53 p.m.

The car recently complete a 10k mile road trip which you can read about here. The car itself has been totally solid, but it's time to take care of some maintenance. My brake pads are about at the end of their life, so I decided to order rotors (only $177 for all four!) and a brake rebuild kit. The coating on the calipers has seen better days, so I think I'm going to strip and nickel plate them. It's also time for new engine and transmission mounts, so I have those ready to go at the same time. 

There's a bit of a rattle that I need to track down. It may be underbody plastic, but I'll be tracking it down wherever it is. There's also a bit of a squeak in the dash that needs attention.

In terms of modifications, I installed an old Sparco Evo seat. I plan to reupholster it in time, but for now it's remarkably comfortable for daily use. The 17" tires have been really good on the road. The Indy 500's seem to have a very stiff sidewall. The ride isn't overwhelmingly smooth or quiet, but they've taken some seriously rough roads in stride. They also seem to give great feedback and the grip:wear ratio is excellent.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/19 8:21 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Left foot braking is your friend in autocross. Get the weight forward as you turn, tires bite, on the throttle and the whole car moves a bit sideways on exit. It's sublime when it goes right which is about two corners a weekend when I was autocrossing my 964. I've driven a bunch of students 996s and though I prefer the C4 for autocross, all of them are great driving cars.

the only reason i quoted this is because post-C0414, Seth knows *why* this works!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KAGOneXSdgx6G9BCECHxA0WKrAnvhigDDIuJILx2CwrTW9WaGttcLhY1z5g0Ging