1 2 3
Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
11/15/17 8:48 p.m.
barefootskater said:

In reply to mcbacon :

Here's the best part. The stock exhaust manifolds on the 4.3 can be flipped and swapped to opposite sides! BAM! Forward facing, upwards tilted turbo manifolds. 

Are you sure on that? Works on V8s but the ports arent symmetrical on a v6. The center exhaust port is offset to the front. Old syclone passenger side manifold or a tubular one that copies it is your best bet if you want to go turbo 4.3. Driver side manifold is the same but it had a crossover pipe to rear of the passenger side. Passenger side manifold has a flange for the turbo at the front. If nobody does it before I get home I'll find pics to post.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
11/15/17 9:20 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Yeah, they can't be flipped. 

IIRC, Roadkill just swapped the manifolds side to side on the Rotsun. I know the waste gates were mounted way low, and the turbo was about level with the carb and fed from below. 

Edit: Google image search says it was actually more like water pump height, and they actually had forward facing *headers* on it when they first installed the 4.3l for clearance reasons. 

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
11/15/17 9:24 p.m.

Oh, and I'm also pretty sure the distributors and caps are not interchangeable between the early and late model motors. They have to be matched with the appropriate cranks.

mcbacon
mcbacon New Reader
11/16/17 7:37 a.m.

In reply to Crackers :

I'm planning on giving the ignition system an overhaul anyways. See if I can get some better components. MSD or something like that for the coil and dizzy. Definitely redoing plugs and HT leads.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g0YKTReeq8MObHsCjXyVFYdFx4y8Pd9h2s8Bmb6GJn4Wx3Egd3GN0XxbftDQ20ob