1 2 3
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/24/21 11:16 a.m.

Makes sense to me and the mk4 coil is the easy button. Have made over 1k hp with a pair of them on v8s. 

I check in sometimes but if you need anything specific feel free to pm me to weigh in. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
1/2/22 8:19 p.m.

A couple things worth noting in this picture. 
firstly, new used mk4 ignition coil is going to be cleaner and simpler than the ls truck coils. Shame on me for trying to make something on the shelf work when there's an easier option for cheap. 
Secondly I sacrificed a scirocco coolant flange and tapped it for a gm coolant temp sensor. So far everything needed for wiring will be in one harness with the exception of the trigger pick up. 

Baby steps. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
1/6/22 8:45 p.m.

Hey man you gonna buy one of those fancy distributor block off plates? 
No. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
3/23/22 8:36 p.m.

This is not the ideal spot for an intake air temp sensor. I'll need to keep an eye on it when the motor starts to see how quickly it reacts. But it's in, first little bit of progress on this in a few months. 

I am happy that it allowed every sensor except map and crank trigger to be within 4 inches of each other. Should keep wiring clean and simple.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
4/5/22 8:01 p.m.

Went out tonight and welded a bung on the oil pan. It went so well I turned around and ripped into the car. I'm about an hour I had motor almost ready to pull. All that's holding it in now is the cv shafts and gravity. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
9/15/22 9:19 p.m.

Whelp, summer is over so after putting ir off for 5 months I pulled the old aba out threw a clutch on the 16v did a quick trans swap and dropped the new heart in. Lots and lots to do yet but at least it's progress and it will look cool once cleaned up a bit.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
9/21/22 8:42 p.m.

Just a quick mock-up tonight. Took most of the aba wiring and set it aside. Going to try and find a mk2 diesel to take the lighting harness from to keep things simple. 
Also noted the fpr is basically resting on the hood so something will need to change slightly. Otherwise progress is slow but steady. 
Hoping to have the intercooler here this weekend to start on that. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
10/4/22 7:54 p.m.

I'm actually feeling better now that the rest of the old harness is out and the microsquirt is laid out. Vr1 is just long enough to go through the rain tray and down to the trigger keeping it nice and safe and away from any noise. Every other wire is way longer than needed. Should clean up fairly nice. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
10/11/22 8:02 p.m.

Started at the start

VR1 to edis/trigger set up

cts and cts sharing sensor ground 1 maf and tps will share sensor ground 2, just as they will share +5v

coil is up next. 

no pictures but I'm picking away at it. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
10/13/22 8:32 p.m.

Good progress tonight, should have a map pigtail tomorrow then it's time to run power wires and grounds. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
2/16/23 8:51 p.m.

It was freakishly warm today so I spend an hour and a half on the engine wiring.

Dead headed a bunch of un needed wires(yeah I could have unpinned them from the ecu but who knows how long this car will continue without a turbo 07k ).

Found a fuse panel, wired a relay for it less the key live. Ran power to injectors and coil. Felt good to make some baby steps again. 

10001110101 Reader
2/16/23 9:27 p.m.

I really miss my MK2. I love seeing progress on this. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
2/17/23 8:38 a.m.

In reply to 10001110101 :

I did some counting at it turns out I've owned this thing since 2007. It been through 4 major engine changes (1.6TD->1.9TD->2.0 8v gas turbo ->present). 

I really enjoy the car when it runs, and I really enjoy building new turbo set ups for it out of junk even if it's at a snails pace. Mk2's are great I really like the mk1 and mk3 chassis but I find the mk2 the best comprimise of light and not scary when you add extra power. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
2/20/23 7:23 p.m.

Dug some more parts out. Really surprised I couldn't find another 2.5" 90 in my junk pile. At least it's cool to look at. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
8/27/23 7:40 p.m.

Six months later I found a 90* bend and finished the intercooler piping. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
10/9/23 8:21 p.m.

On a roll, it wasn't even two whole months and I worked on it again. Pulled the oil pan to finish the drain for the turbo and installed the cv shafts.

Then rolled it backwards so I could clean the floor under it! 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
10/13/23 8:34 p.m.

Let the record show that these studs all chose the hard way. 
Was planning on bolting the turbo on from the engine side of the manifold. But there's no room to get long enough bolts in. Even if I pull the manifold.
So I guess I need to drill out the holes I just spend 2 hours getting studs out of in an attempt to reuse. 
That's the weekends vw progress. I'll get some grade 8 bolts on Monday and carry on. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
10/18/23 8:05 p.m.

The lesson here is that this would have been an hour job to do before the motor was in the car. But because it wasn't it was a 5 hours job by the time I cut each stud to length. Tapped the manifold to accept them then got it all permanently assembled. Ah well, it's in now!

Picking up some hose on Friday for the drain and I'll probably tackle the oil feed line next. 
Baby steps.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
10/21/23 11:28 a.m.

Spent last night and an hour and a half this morning making a downpipe. The one I started earlier was hitting the cv shaft so it was cut up in short order. 
It's always a good reminder of why real fab work costs money when making something even as simple as this downpipe. With a dozen trips down under the car then tack welding then repeat it's time consuming to get something that even fits "ok". 

It does fit alright, clears the subframe and rack and all other important stuff. 3" is definitely overkill but I had it in the garage and money is tight. Just need to get an 02 bung and 3 bolt flange to mate it to the rest of the exhaust now. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Dork
10/23/23 8:01 a.m.

Progress continues, powered up ecu and established a connection, calibrated tps...lots left to do.

soultron
soultron New Reader
1/16/24 1:05 a.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

I like this method. I have the Tech53 trigger wheel but the rubber in my balancer is making it harder to center than I'd like. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cpNsqAnpniiqxXfrbDeXX7VH4UcfMJAiSYyj1ivrAYHGLZGopObjo4tARpVLWuXW