1 2 3 ... 11
Lil_Stampie
Lil_Stampie GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/12/21 8:12 p.m.

this is my 330 ci 

that angle makes the car look decent, the clearcoat is 90% gone on the roof and hood.

this is gonna be my daily driver (i think for now) 

the car sounds amazing, i dont really know what else to say

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
11/12/21 8:24 p.m.

Have fun with it! And be careful.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
11/12/21 8:24 p.m.

Fun cars, and excellent DDs. If they haven't been done, prepare to do the cooling system and the CCV, along with the oil filter housing gasket, and maybe the DISA. And whatever you do, do not let it get hot. Ever.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/12/21 8:43 p.m.

Very nice. I was jealous when you guys scooped that up. We almost tried to get it for my son, but the distance and potential issues scared me off. Lol-so we bought a troubled Audi TT instead. I look forward to reading about your progress.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/12/21 8:56 p.m.

Nice meeting Little Stampie and Big Stampie too. I was there when they picked it up. It's a nice car and I'm jealous. I was there just incase they didn't like it so I can buy it lol

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/12/21 9:02 p.m.

Kinda cool that Dad is your enabler!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/12/21 9:13 p.m.

I'd drive that

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/21 11:24 p.m.

Lil Stampie left off the trip part. We left Jacksonville yesterday as soon as I got off work. The trailer was already hooked up and ready to go. 

First we stopped in Biloxi at Pete's house rolling in about 10:30pm local time. We did a quick tour of his shop and projects then he showed us to the RV. Lil Stampie was worried about how much he rolls around at night so he volunteered for the floor. We used the bench cushions to make him a bed. 

Pete lives right outside Keesler Air Force Base where I did Tech School some 27 years ago. I had a nice flash back at 6am when Reveille played over the base speakers. We were planning on a 7am leave time so that got me going. 

Little traffic jam in Louisiana got us a little behind but then right inside Texas we felt a huge jolt and my instinctive look in the driver's side mirror saw something black fly up behind the driver's side tires. We were in a tight construction section so I assumed I'd screwed up and hit the wall. I thought the black stuff I saw was the taillight. 

Lil Stampie checked the tires from his seat and reported the the passenger front looked low. Sure enough about half a mile later he said that tire was coming apart. There was an exit not much further down so we pulled off to look at the damage. 

That tire was destroyed along with the rim. Looks like some road debris hit the front of the fender then took out that wheel and tire before taking some small bites out of the rear tire sidewall. 

At this point I was glad I had bought two brand new spares right before the Challenge. I had my jack, breaker bar, and sockets so we knocked it out pretty quick. Next time I bring my impact to make it quicker. 

Back on the road we head through Houston and down to russde.  We arrived only about 45 minutes later than our morning ETA and Yepididit got there about 3 minutes before us. 

All I can say is it was obvious that Lil Stampie fell in love with the car immediately. When it started his eyes lit up at the sound of that straight six. Not long afterwards he was sitting inside playing with his new toy. 

Right now we're at a hotel right east of Houston. We have about 800 miles to go tomorrow so I might sleep in. 

Thanks to Pete for the bed to crash in last night. Don't think we could make this 3 day trip without it. Thanks russde for making a young GRMer totally happy. I appreciate Yepididit for making the trip down and letting us meet him in person finally. 

Almost forgot, here's a link to the original for sale ad.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/cars-sale/2001-330ci-500-mine/186686/page1/

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/13/21 12:27 a.m.

If I hadn't found the MR2 on the forum, this very likely would've been my challenge attempt at 2022.  I've always wanted to give one of these a go.  I still think this is one of the coolest cars BMW ever made.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/21 5:45 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Did you loose the tire in the construction zone? I'm not sure how I forgot about that - I managed to get the van, tow dolly & Fit airborne through there. 

It was awesome seeing you guys, I just wish you weren't on such a tight schedule. Our place is always open to you guys or any other GRMers!

We'd discussed using the bench cushions on the floor as an extra bed, since the dinette "bed" is only 5' long. Glad to know it worked out for him & congrats on the car!

Stampie
11/13/21 7:12 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Yes in one of many construction zones in Texas. Lil Stampie hated it because of the bouncing plus there's no way you slow down in Houston unless you want to get rear ended by someone doing 100.

russde
russde GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/13/21 4:45 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

I think I did the overflow tank...not positive, did not do the radiator. Oil filter housing gasket was done, as was the DISA, and the Mr Vanos kit.

When I got this, the original fan (forget the brand) quit...after reading up on them I realized that this brand was known to cause fires, so it was replaced.

Right now it smokes when it's warm, at speed, can't remember what the silly acronym BMW uses for their PCV system, pretty sure that's the issue.

Looking forward to seeing Lil Stampies progress with this, and some (safe) shenanigans.

It was a hoot to meet Stampie, Lil Stampie, and Yupididit. Couldn't visit as long as I'd have liked, but they had a ways to go to the far side of Houston, and my mom was sick in the house, so no beers were shared :(

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/13/21 5:44 p.m.
Stampie said:

Pete lives right outside Keesler Air Force Base where I did Tech School some 27 years ago. I had a nice flash back at 6am when Reveille played over the base speakers.

berkeley.  That.

I was also at Keesler, as I think you know.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/13/21 6:42 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Yes in one of many construction zones in Texas. Lil Stampie hated it because of the bouncing plus there's no way you slow down in Houston unless you want to get rear ended by someone doing 100.

Isn't that the truth.  Houston driving is it's own thing.  Dallas is so infested with CA we now have slow traffic with people stopping for every little hill or overpass and continuously distracted driving.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
11/13/21 7:17 p.m.

In reply to russde :

Sounds like you've taken care of many of the problem areas. The CCV is definitely something that fails, and combined with the low tension rings BMW used in the M54, can cause oil smoke, especially under deceleration. I fought with this on my E39 for a long time, including multiple CCV changes and endless other experiments, before I figured out a mod that largely solves the smoke issue - it has come to be known as the 02Pilot mod (I didn't name it).

For Lil Stampie, when you change the CCV, get the OE part plus all four hoses and the O-rings for the distribution piece. I suggest a new O-ring for the dipstick guide tube as well, since you should pull this and clean it out (it's also the drain for the oil separator). Just break the old hoses - it's not worth trying to get them out intact. Once the new CCV is in place, run a vacuum line from the unused nipple on the CCV to the small vacuum port on the back of the intake manifold. This equalizes vacuum between the cylinders and the crankcase, effectively minimizing the problem of oil being sucked past the rings and into the cylinders. Many people have been using this mod for years with good results.

Stampie
11/13/21 8:59 p.m.

And we're home.  Little over 2200 miles in 53 hours.  Time for a beer and decompress.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/21 9:53 a.m.

Great purchase! Have fun with it

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/14/21 10:02 a.m.

Happy to see you guys made it home safe.  That was some serious truckin.  Best of luck Lil Stampie on this project.  Many moons ago, my first car was also German.  A 1962 VW Bug.  This is certainly a better starting point, and I think you'll like it better than the Audi.  Enjoy!

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/14/21 10:02 a.m.

The e46 330 is such a great model. It will be a great first car!

Stampie
11/14/21 5:06 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

We've started researching the CCV.  It's all ringing a bell.  Pretty sure I was looking at an E46 years ago that had CCV problems.

While I was at work Lil Stampie played around with the car.  Unfortunately for him the key was in my truck and the keys to my truck were at work with me.  Once I got home we started it up and just got familiar with the car.  You know it's funny what you don't ask about when buying a $500 car.  Things like does the AC work?  Guess what it does!  Hopefully we'll get it off the trailer tomorrow and I have an appointment at the DMV for Friday to get tags.

Stampie
11/14/21 8:55 p.m.

I'm watching YouTube and hear "it's called the 02Pilot mod" ... yep I'm in the right place.

johndej
johndej Dork
11/14/21 9:08 p.m.

Should be good to go for spec E46 if either of you feel like throwing a cage in it for w2w action.

Stampie
11/19/21 10:03 a.m.

I took the BMW to get it titled today.  I watched oil smoke behind me going over the bridge but got the biggest laugh at the first red light downtown.  Older lady in front of me was very concerned about the clouds of smoke coming out of the BMW and surrounding her newer Buick.  I'm pretty sure a smokey BMW was not on her list of things to experience today.  Tag and title went smooth and I drove it home where it'll sit until we replace the CCV.  I ordered that on Monday but it won't be in until next Wednesday.  We'll take care of that after Thanksgiving.

mslevin
mslevin GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/19/21 11:22 a.m.

Great cars! There's a CCV mod you can do that makes it more efficient/lets it pull more vacccum, I can't remember the name of it now. Worst case, those M54s are still relatively cheap.

Aaaand just noticed you found it above! 02Pilot mod. Definitely helped the oil consumption in my 325i Touring. 

And +1, perfect SpecE46 candidate smiley

Lil_Stampie
Lil_Stampie GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/26/21 10:55 p.m.

ccv came in the mail, should be maybe getting to that tomorrow afternoon.

1 2 3 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wbj4yWPPYPRchBF8zAmz4FxFmxt8rnmZvRDvBktESHUQ26AbQ4CKcoGeLXRCj5Pz