1 2 3 4 ... 11
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/21 12:29 p.m.

Today I did what any good Dad should do and taught my son how to lie about his age. 

It was junkyard day for the BMW. High on the list was a blue hood we saw online. Unfortunately it was the wrong blue and bad anyway. Lil Stampie saw some black kidneys so he grabbed them. 

The same car gave up it's radio because Lil Stampie's pixels are definitely not all working. 

After that we just wondered the yard some and now it's the traditional Saturday pizza lunch. 

Lil_Stampie
Lil_Stampie GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/27/21 12:50 p.m.

In reply to Stampie : you always take pictures i look the worse in

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/27/21 2:16 p.m.

In reply to Lil_Stampie :

It's a Dad Superpower.  I do that to my boys too!

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/27/21 4:26 p.m.

Looking really good, guys.  Pretty sweet ride for a high-schooler.

Stampie
11/27/21 5:13 p.m.

Update later but he made me go buy a light because apparently this must be finished tonight. 

Stampie
11/27/21 9:59 p.m.

Today was a lesson that working tired cold and hungry just isn't the best idea.   We'll finish it tomorrow.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/28/21 7:45 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Teaching the boy the $2000 challenge flogging?

Stampie
11/28/21 9:02 a.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

He knows that well but this was a case of him pushing to get it done. At 10:30 we started it up to realize that yep I was right when I thought the lower intake boot had slipped off.

Lil_Stampie
11/28/21 2:24 p.m.

i finished the ccv today while my dad was at work, put the boot back on he proper way this time. started it up let it run for a little bit, and there wasnt a smoke cloud.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/28/21 2:55 p.m.

Well done!   Nice hand modeling too!   You're Dad will be proud of both I'm surelaugh

twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/28/21 3:39 p.m.
Lil_Stampie said:

In reply to Stampie : you always take pictures i look the worse in

Part of the fatherhood training classes. Mothers are taught to nurture, dads taught to take embarrassing pictures of their Lil's

Stampie
11/28/21 5:50 p.m.

I just want to point out this and then I'll let Lil Stampie take over.

Lil_Stampie
11/28/21 6:22 p.m.

ccv didnt fix the smoking issue i was wrong, thought i was the piston rings at first but we took it for a spin and it was good for 1 block and then went down on power again, after i hooked up the vacuum hose i forgot about. pretty sure the cat is clogged

Stampie
11/28/21 6:31 p.m.

Ok that was a 13 year old in a rush version. 

I got home and had him bring the BMW out so it could switch spots with the truck.  I noticed it bucking like it did last week.  So I get in and we head to the store.  Down on power and not wanting to rev past 4k.  Get some smoke but not as bad as last week.  Once we got home I popped the hood and noticed the line he left off.  We hooked that up and the car was day and night different.  It reved nice and had power for about half a block.  Then back to the low power and not wanting to rev.  My theory is the oil cloged the cat.  Looks like the O2 sensor is on top so might remove them and see what we get.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
11/28/21 7:00 p.m.

Did you 1) install the additional vacuum line from the CCV to the intake manifold; 2) clean out the dipstick guide tube/drain for the CCV; 3) replace the O-rings on the distribution piece; 4) test the crankcase vacuum after completing the repair? If the drain is blocked, oil will build up from the separator and eventually get sucked in to the combustion chambers. Vacuum leaks will cause all manner of issues, especially with the higher vacuum applied by the mod; the distribution piece and the guide tube O-rings are common issues. Get a spare oil filler cap, drill it, and screw in a barbed fitting, then attach a vacuum gauge; if you get no measurable reading, you may need a rig up a slack tube manometer. With the mod you'll see significant vacuum on a gauge, but if there's a leak somewhere you may not. Stock CCV spec is ~4in/H2O on a manometer, not measurable on a regular gauge.

Stampie
11/28/21 7:11 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

1) Yes and in doing so found a dodgy cap on the the intake made of fuel line and silicone.

2) Yes it flowed nicely spraying carb cleaner down it.

3) Distribution piece? 

4) No.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
11/28/21 8:44 p.m.

The distribution piece is the E-shaped part (but with six arms) that feeds the air from the CCV into the intake manifold just before entering the cylinder head. Each individual vent hole has an O-ring, and they can get hard and leak.

When you sprayed carb cleaner into the guide tube, did you spray from the CCV drain hole? Did you look at the bottom to ensure the outer section was totally clear? It's a really poor design, so much so that BMW updated the part to eliminate the narrow sleeve for the drain. I cut mine, removed the inner portion, and welded it up. Also, did you replace the O-ring and make sure it was fully seated? Getting it back down into its recess can be tricky.

Checking the vacuum with a gauge will tell you if you have a big leak, but the proper way to do it is a smoke test, if you happen to have the tool. For the modded system to work, you really need to have a fully sealed crankcase.

Stampie
11/29/21 6:10 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

We did it with manifold on so I'm guessing no.  We sprayed from the ccv port and looked at it.  Didn't see any issues.  We did put new o rings on the tube going in the block and the dipstick itself.  Now that I think about it the dipstick seating was at the really tired part so possible I didn't seat it well.

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
11/29/21 6:39 a.m.

Yeah, there's no need to pull the manifold to do the CCV. I did it so many times chasing my oil burning issue that I got it down to a 45 minute routine. The distribution piece comes right off the top, so it's a easy thing to check. I've seen them clogged with sludge (mine wasn't) and with bad O-rings (mine were).

The dipstick guide tube is a real pain to get properly sealed, so if you have doubts that's where I'd look first. While you have it out, just take a ziptie and probe up into the narrow gap between the sleeve and the outer wall - mine was full of sludge even though it looked clean from the bottom. Lube the O-ring and the guide tube when seating.

Valve cover gaskets can also leak air under high vacuum.

Stampie
11/29/21 8:30 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Ok pretty sure we have those o rings. Six if I remember right. We'll check both of those items.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/29/21 8:57 a.m.
Stampie said:

... Lil Stampie's pixels are definitely not all working. 

Is that a genetic condition?

Stampie
11/29/21 9:49 a.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Anything genetic that's not good I blame on his mom's genes.

Stampie
12/3/21 4:15 p.m.

The radio we grabbed last weekend wouldn't power on. I took it back this morning for the year warranty I paid for. They didn't have any cd radios but they let me exchange it with a cassette version. Still has pixel issues but at least you can tell what you're doing.

Added bonus is we got a Bluetooth cassette adapter for the Saab last Christmas so it's charging up right now. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/3/21 7:29 p.m.

Now I could send you guys a sweet mix tape.

Stampie
12/3/21 7:43 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Well no cause sound quality sucks.  I've ordered an FM Bluetooth adapter on Amazon.  Although I don't doubt that you have a sweet mix tape.

1 2 3 4 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8JVXfwyN7YMcqyuYNYOeM4MNtdv4fI7gIECAK9sHtyiKix9veSr5IHdUb7ZN52TN