1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/17/21 9:55 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) :

Those are pretty but aren't the cats part of that?

It looks like they have the  second o2 sensor mount spaced to trick the computer into not knowing they arent there.

Go_Gators (Forum Supporter)
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/17/21 10:45 a.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

right. couple options for the post cat sensors, i have spark plug non-foulers installed to move the sensor out of the stream. My SES/CEL only trips once a year or so. Otherwise, the SES/CEL will be illuminated continuously, which is very common on these anyway!!!  

Opti
Opti Dork
12/17/21 12:38 p.m.

I sold a sedan version of this car, that had a nice body and pretty much all the common failures repaired for real cheap just a few months before yall bought this. I had pretty much all the same problems you did except the overheating.

Lil_Stampie
Lil_Stampie GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/2/22 7:32 p.m.

maybe good maybe bad (depends how you look at it) update soon.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/2/22 7:41 p.m.

In reply to Lil_Stampie :

LS swap?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
2/2/22 7:50 p.m.

Burned to the ground?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/22 8:17 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

I'll give a hint.  He takes after his dad.

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/2/22 10:21 p.m.

My dad let me help build a 327 for his Chevelle when I was 13. Been hooked on cars ever since.

Pretty cool to read this and watch another father / son combo dig in to projects. 

[Thread jack] I'm unfamiliar with the M54, but one is for sale locally for cheap. Has alleged evidence of HG failure around cylinders 2 and 3. Is it the opinion of the hive that this is one better left alone? My thought was to overhaul it and find a suitable chassis to throw it in. [/thread jack]

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
2/3/22 6:38 a.m.

In reply to birdmayne :

The problem with overheated M54s is that they tend to rip the head bolt threads out of the block when the head warps. If you can pull the valve cover and check that all the head bolts are tight, then you'll know it's probably just a gasket. If one or more spins easily, walk; they can be repaired with some success using Time-serts, but I'm told it's tedious and not guaranteed to work. It's not an uncommon engine - find a better one.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
2/3/22 11:27 a.m.

Wow, great thread.  I recall seeing Stampie's post about going to pick this thing up, but completely forgot about it.  With every failure, there's an opportunity for triumph.  Good luck with the next phase of the project.  These engines are pretty easy to find and cheap enough.  Be sure to check the rear trunk floor for cracks by the subframe, I've heard that's a (somewhat) common failure point that should be reinforced for track cars.

I recently started shopping for an E46 or E36 that I could drive and eventually my son would drive (he gets his learner's permit in ~6 months).  SWMBO and I decided not to make it so easy for him.  We'll probably wait until we find the right opportunity to make it memorable & have many good learnings about adulthood.  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/3/22 1:23 p.m.
Stampie said:

Soooooooo.....

He's blown up the engine and is now ready to abandon the project and give it away for free? 

(Like the Saab Wagon?)

Stampie
2/3/22 1:53 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

You're just jelly that you didn't get the Saab.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/3/22 2:25 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

You're just jelly that you didn't get the Saab.

Yes.  I would've really liked to have that three pedal wagon.

Stampie said:

Starting him on the whiskey kinda young, eh?

Stampie
2/3/22 6:25 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

That explains the blown head gasket.  Gonna have to start measuring my bottles and check to see if it's watered down.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
2/3/22 8:26 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/662042508255069/

330i partout in Daytona.  Transmission is sold, engine still avialable.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/3/22 9:56 p.m.
Stampie said:

Derelict RV with a big block?

Lil_Stampie
2/3/22 10:13 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

id rather forget about that time in my life

Lil_Stampie
2/4/22 8:27 p.m.

a hint, update tomorrow 

Lil_Stampie
2/5/22 11:20 a.m.

last tuesday we got an offer on the bmw, he was willing to trade a 93' miata for it and who would turn down a miata. we loaded up the bmw on the trailer last night and headed on our way this morning

we got there unloaded the bmw and loaded up the miata

will go over and take more pics of the yata when we get home

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/5/22 11:33 a.m.

Hope you took more pictures of the 510!

Stampie
2/5/22 1:14 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

I don't believe he did but it was a GRMer that we made the deal with. Not sure his user name but if you're reading and want to out yourself go ahead. 

Stampie
2/5/22 2:47 p.m.

Since Lil Stampie tends to be brief I'll explain more.  As he said I got a PM earlier this week from a GRMer that had been looking for an E46 for a daily/track car.  A couple of trades were discussed and a cash offer made.  Honestly we were on the fence with Lil Stampie asking about several possible cars to buy if we took the cash.  On top of his list was a Miata.  I told him that it'd be hard to find a Miata for that amount of cash.  Then the GRMer said he had a Miata.  NA6  needs paint/body work.  Cat overheated and melted wiring for the fuel pump and damaged the parking brake cables.  I showed that to Lil Stampie and he was all in.  Wednesday evening they came over to look over the E46.  We shook on the deal and agreed to meet at the DMV yesterday. I'd bring the E46 to them this morning then bring the Miata home.  For value purposes we agreed to sell each other the cars at $500 each.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/5/22 2:48 p.m.

Cool trade! And the 510 owner not only has a great Datsun, it looks like he has a brand new killer garage!

Stampie
2/5/22 2:52 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

Yes not yet finished including about a one foot drop out from the door to the ground.  I had to do some maneuvering to get the trailer backed up to it then we used some 2x12s and cribbing to bridge the garage floor to the trailer.  Used our mobile winch to winch it off and into the garage.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gPuDiPcTs3IYZlpfqa9eMxzwkHDuC84rRUicdsZJprWkvsSjp5PFFEwxIJd6Na9d