1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/5/22 2:58 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:
Stampie said:

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

I'll give a hint.  He takes after his dad.

Soooooooo.....

He's blown up the engine and is now ready to abandon the project and give it away for free? 

(Like the Saab Wagon?)

I was .... this close.....

Abandoned project car and then traded, not given away for free.

Lil Stampie one upped his Dad 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/5/22 11:15 p.m.

I just want to know how you got a thread title changed.......   jealous.

Can the kid kill a Miata?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/22 7:21 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Just contacted a moderator.  He claims he can't.  I gave him a very questioning look when he did so.

Stampie
2/6/22 5:58 p.m.

For those waiting on an update it was in the 50s and light rain today.  That means FL born Lil Stampie couldn't go outside and take pictures of the bad side.  What y'all saw yesterday was the good side.

Stampie
2/7/22 5:57 p.m.

This is why I said he takes after his dad. Mine is the one on the left. 

He took pictures so hopefully an update today. 

Lil_Stampie
Lil_Stampie GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/7/22 9:16 p.m.

heres some more pics of the miata the passenger side is definitely not as clean, theres some spots on the windshield surround that need some sanding and painting and some spots on the hood, rear fender and front fender

the interior is pretty solid exept for sun visors, arm rest and raido. also there some switch coming out of the radio area and i have no clue what it goes to, i do have pink boy racer door pully things though.

dads making me change the steering wheel and get a roll bar (if anyone has a roll bar for an obtainable price please lmk) so yea thats about it. should be looking into cats and fuel pump soon

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
2/8/22 12:19 a.m.

If anyone says anything about the door pulls just tell them they are "faded red".

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/8/22 7:31 a.m.
Lil_Stampie said:

.......dads making me change the steering wheel....

It's hard to see.  Why? 

Is it broken?

Stampie
2/8/22 8:23 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

No air bag.

Lil_Stampie
2/8/22 1:44 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

i actually kinda like the pink

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
2/8/22 2:36 p.m.
demnted said:

In reply to Stampie :

Somehow a nearing 30 year old air bag is safer??

I'd vote yes. Given the choice, I'd take an overpowered air bag vs. a metal steering wheel every time.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
2/8/22 2:59 p.m.

This thread is not helping. I currently have a nice E46 sedan that needs heater pipes but runs.....and now might be worth trading for a beater Miata.....hmmmm.....

demnted said:

In reply to Stampie :

Somehow a nearing 30 year old air bag is safer??

Yes

In reply to demnted :

Are you familiar with accelerated life testing?

there's a whole lot of assumption going on from you as well.

Lil_Stampie
2/8/22 5:26 p.m.

hopefully i wont need an airbag at all lol

Lil_Stampie
2/8/22 5:36 p.m.

there was also an extra tombstone that came with the car but its for an na8 not an na6 so if anyone needs one

2/8/22 7:28 p.m.

If you are adding a roll bar, is the airbag that big of a concern?  A rear end hit with a roll bar can be awful too.

I've already decided when I do the full rally car thing to my Impreza I will get an open face helmet for any driving on the road.  You getting one too?  There are lots of bars to bounce off of in a rally car.  

Stampie
2/8/22 7:36 p.m.

First I'm sorry for the graphic image but supposedly the driver survived.  Yes my son will have a fully padded roll bar.

rodknock
rodknock Reader
2/8/22 7:53 p.m.

I am pretty sure you can use an NB steering wheel and airbag if you are worried about the age of an NA airbag. Also you'll need to source a new clock spring if the PO used one of the cheap aftermarket steering wheel hubs.

Stampie
2/8/22 7:56 p.m.

In reply to rodknock :

Nice to know.  I think the NB steering wheels look nicer and I was wondering about the clock spring.

2/8/22 10:26 p.m.

I know how good roll bars are in Miata's.  Back in the day Track Dog's site had a collection of photos.  But seriously a rear ender in a Miata with a roll bar could lead to a skull that looks like that Miata for taller folks.  I'm not that tall.  Still if I do the roll cage in the Impreza I won't drive it without a helmet.  DOM to the back of the head is probably as likely as rolling a Miata over.  It's definitely within the same order of magnitude.  In DFW with the number of people running red lights now, it'd be a risk I don't want. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/22 10:49 p.m.

In reply to demnted :

You questioned if any OE's do "30-year testing" and closed with "so doubtful." Well, I've got as many years as an OE applications engineer in active safety systems as you do in collision R&R, so I'll give you a brief description of accelerated life testing. By varying test conditions (temperature, humidity, voltage, current, frequency, impact, etc etc for any variables you'd care to assess) in controlled environments over potentially millions of test cycles and applying some statistical analysis to a population of test parts, we can predict the useful life of a design with pretty decent accuracy. So depending on reliability / confidence targets at a chosen useful life, a life measured in decades can indeed be predicted by tests that may only take 1 or 3 or 6 months, depending on the ranges of the variables being evaluated and the number of parts being tested. It's actually pretty cool stuff. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/9/22 6:41 a.m.
slefain said:

This thread is not helping. I currently have a nice E46 sedan that needs heater pipes but runs.....and now might be worth trading for a beater Miata.....hmmmm.....

I don't have a beater Miata to offer you but I am interested in an e46 sedan if you're considering selling it. 

In reply to demnted :

changing the question after it has been answered does not make the answer wrong.

And now, back to Lil Stampie's Miata thread!

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/9/22 9:12 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Was about to text you in regards to e46 tuning and cats, etc., but now I see that is no longer relevant. 

Good luck to you both with the Miata, we know it is the answer. 

Also, yes, NB steering wheels are the bomb. 

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
79Xg1RqgXj2b0ZiI0jcCItX0tRQWh5n81jbZ0clO5avNeWiaB6n07EyQbBXjlcOG