1 ... 5 6 7 8 9
Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
12/19/14 8:27 p.m.
The wrote: Which one of these wires is keeping this car from starting???

Radio?

Seriously.

When I was a Land Rover tech the LR3/LR4 and Range Rover Sports had the security run through the radio (CAN bus). No radio, no start.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
12/20/14 11:23 a.m.

Fairly sure 996's had a similar problem...

The
The HalfDork
12/20/14 12:15 p.m.
When I was a Land Rover tech the LR3/LR4 and Range Rover Sports had the security run through the radio (CAN bus). No radio, no start.

I will give it a shot if it works you will hear me hollering all the way down the mountain.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
12/20/14 1:08 p.m.

with the 996 you had to have the factory security code too...

The
The HalfDork
12/21/14 11:18 a.m.

plugged in the radio, it made a weird noise like it was charging or something, anyway still no go.

golfduke
golfduke Reader
12/24/14 10:08 a.m.

Research comfort relay. It's got an anti-theft feature built-in.

The
The HalfDork
12/24/14 12:56 p.m.

mother berkeleyer, I have had 3 different wiring harness in and out of this car 6 time I think it is time to go AEM with this bitch. next time I will know.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
12/24/14 2:47 p.m.

Try the dealer. Not the service writer, find out who the dash/electrical guy is. They may all do the work but there is always the one guy that stands out. Buy him lunch and ask him what he thinks. He might have an easy answer like mine would have been if it were a Rover not a BMW.

The
The HalfDork
12/25/14 1:56 p.m.

Looks like I am going with the Epic ECU and just be done with it (I hope). I am told by a shop here he can run the whole car with that ECU and less than 10 wires...

bmwbav
bmwbav Reader
12/25/14 2:25 p.m.

From what I read, epic is a tune on the stock ECU. If it works, that's great. I kind of doubt the 10 wires statement, the S54 engine itself has a lot going on and I don't understand the benefit in removing much of the electronics. Getting a race tune is a great idea, but its easy to tuck away some extra wiring and none of that weighs much. Why mess with it?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/25/14 2:53 p.m.
The wrote: Looks like I am going with the Epic ECU and just be done with it (I hope). I am told by a shop here he can run the whole car with that ECU and less than 10 wires...

Tis true. His Alpha-N setup with the motorsports airbox and super sprints is/was good for 351 to the wheels (in my case). It ain't cheap but it is the easy button for running an S54 in an E30 (or accidentally cutting your harness to shreds).

You have some options to re-flash your stock ECU to avoid the EWS system and so on but I am not familiar with them enough to say good/bad (except way cheaper).

EDIT: I'm sorry I didn't respond to your email sooner. Use the gmail addy for me - the other one is under new management and I am no longer associated. I got hold of it by way of a fwd from their "catch-all" email box.

The
The HalfDork
1/3/15 9:58 a.m.
whacker said: Tis true. His Alpha-N setup with the motorsports airbox and super sprints is/was good for 351 to the wheels (in my case). It ain't cheap but it is the easy button for running an S54 in an E30 (or accidentally cutting your harness to shreds).

I think I would have used this setup anyway, it eliminates emissions, pumps, some bungs, top speed restrictor mucho crap, lets see what the s54 will do on its own. Budget wise it has ruled out the carbon doors and fenders......

S54 S62 Standalone Conversion, EWS Removal, Optional Wiring Harness
Product Description: With our standalone kit you can now easily swap an S54 or S62 engine into racecars or other model street cars. The factory ECU is purpose-built to run the S54/S62 engine and it is by far the most refined for the task. Although the ECU does not allow user tuning, you don’t have to hire a tuner to babysit your ECU at the track or get it started on a cold morning. There are compensation tables built in for almost every condition. We also retain both drive-by-wire and dual-VANOS so your engine runs optimally. Retaining these helps make the most power possible at all RPMs and with smooth throttle application that a manual throttle conversion will not allow. The base kit includes ECU modification (your ECU is required) only. A drive-by-wire pedal cable and pigtail with all wires labeled for wiring into the chassis is available as an option. The optional kit includes wires for: •Power •Ground •RPM •Fuel pump relay trigger •Diagnostic pin •CAN low/high (if needed – AiM data typically) Please allow 2-3 weeks for ECU modification. You will not have cruise or AC compressor wiring (can be manually switched if needed). While you will be able to read diagnostic codes through an OBD-II port

The
The HalfDork
1/3/15 4:02 p.m.

Mocked up the dash just for s & g's, maybe enough room left for the fire pull, what say Yee?

zracre1
zracre1 New Reader
1/4/15 2:01 p.m.

Great build! Put a huge wing and dive planes on it and take it to VIR in April for the BMWCCA race!

The
The HalfDork
1/7/15 3:20 p.m.

got some rubbers......

The
The HalfDork
1/18/15 3:33 p.m.

waiting for the Epic Alpha N Standalone ECU to get back, got the wheels and tires mounted of course one of the wheels was out of round, got a door on, If anybody (Wacker) has any tips on cutting out the inside of the doors I would like to hear them I have used and sawzall and handheld grinder with a cutting blade on them before, there must be a less violent way, trying to fit the carbon diffuser, why is nothing easy anymore, then the friggin quickjack went bonkers and I had to spend 2 hours on it, all in all I would say the would is spinning true.

zracre1
zracre1 New Reader
1/18/15 4:22 p.m.

They make a small air saw

http://www.maxtool.com/ingersoll-rand-super-duty-reciprocating-air-saw?

or nibbler

http://www.eastwood.com/ingersoll-rand-ir325b-heavy-duty-air-nibbler.html?fee=7&fep=49865?fee=5&fep=4990&SRCCODE=1SE1528&creative=5461472965&device=c&matchtype={MatchType}

zracre1
zracre1 New Reader
1/18/15 4:23 p.m.

I keep watching your build an looking longingly at my 2003 M3 daily driver...trying not to justify making yet another race car out of it!

The
The HalfDork
1/18/15 6:49 p.m.
I keep watching your build an looking longingly at my 2003 M3 daily driver...trying not to justify making yet another race car out of it!

I keep wondering why I did it. Or why didn't I just get a old e36 325. but I am starting to get fired up as it goes back together.

zracre1

thanks I will check those out

zracre1
zracre1 New Reader
1/18/15 8:26 p.m.

I have raced e36 cars for a few years now and the e46 is a better option as the e36 can be made fast but has an aging issue. The e46 has a way better braking system and an excellent motor. The CM cars in BMWCCA are unbelievably capable race cars. Not to mention the SpecE46 cars out there now

The
The HalfDork
1/21/15 5:29 p.m.

mounting the splitter..................I wonder if this damn thing will still run.

1/21/15 6:24 p.m.

It's coming along nicely. You are going to make a spring event for shakedown with it at this rate.

1/21/15 6:30 p.m.
zracre1 wrote: I have raced e36 cars for a few years now and the e46 is a better option as the e36 can be made fast but has an aging issue. The e46 has a way better braking system and an excellent motor. The CM cars in BMWCCA are unbelievably capable race cars. Not to mention the SpecE46 cars out there now

The E36 ain't washed up yet! I left CM for a dual class IS/GTS2 car this past season (2014) and never had more fun racing despite saving a metric ton of cash going slower. Deep fields of good drivers and lots of very close racing. IP had the biggest fields overall still. SpecE46 is showing a lot of promise for the "next" build I do but the depth of field isn't quite there yet. I may go that route eventually but I'll wait another two seasons until I can see potential for a field of 10 competitive cars in a national points weekend first and or judge the crossover potential to GTS. No point jumping class for less of a fight.

zracre1
zracre1 New Reader
1/23/15 11:51 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:

"The E36 ain't washed up yet! I left CM for a dual class IS/GTS2 car this past season (2014) and never had more fun racing despite saving a metric ton of cash going slower. Deep fields of good drivers and lots of very close racing. IP had the biggest fields overall still. SpecE46 is showing a lot of promise for the "next" build I do but the depth of field isn't quite there yet. I may go that route eventually but I'll wait another two seasons until I can see potential for a field of 10 competitive cars in a national points weekend first and or judge the crossover potential to GTS. No point jumping class for less of a fight."

I agree! I have 2 E36 projects going now...but to do it again I would dive into 1 E46 head first! I ran the #66 IP M3 at a couple races last year and it is a super nice chassis! Qualified Pole in IP and 5th overall (2nd fastest E36 chassis other was a mod class forgot which one) at VIR. Lost ABS on the first lap and got taken out in a big way on a restart (not very common in BMWCCA) and that was the 1st real contact I had in the car racing it since 2008.

The
The HalfDork
1/29/15 8:14 p.m.

I ordered Shaw Lexan, front, rear and quarters. I need to figure out a way to easily remove the front bumper cover for loading and unloading. still need to install Ground Control Coil Overs, CAE Shifter, Epic ECU, Dyno and Alpha N Tune, etc....

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UzQaoeVJT1PKh8cCdFfKtAk0FZ0TlQ348xNW9p0oLAWX3gdcfLwBtGyaRFphaDtG