1 2 3 ... 5
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/18 7:01 p.m.

I drove this home today. 

2003 G35. 6 Speed. 

It has some cold air intake that may or may not stay. A plenum spacer. It's lowered on Tein springs and wearing a set of Niche 20" wheels with cheap ass tires. It has newish paint. It needs shocks/struts. It may lose the 20" wheels in favor of something smaller and wider. 

Right now it's a clean canvas that will be getting fresh fluids and driven. I have some research to do. 

untchabl
untchabl Reader
8/15/18 7:18 p.m.

Looks like a pretty clean example, most of the ones I see nowadays are pretty beat.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/15/18 7:21 p.m.

Local to me they've all been killed or are on their way. The one behind me at school today was flat black with pink accents. Not in a good way. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/15/18 7:35 p.m.

Pretty sedate for what is here in Seth's and my neighborhood......not bad looking hoops ....from here yu done good!!! 

Toyman01
8/15/18 7:37 p.m.

I'll call this one good, but not perfect. 

It's issues are minor. At one time it had a "system" in it. I'm sure I'll have to weed some of the extraneous wiring out of it. The Pioneer head unit is decent so it will stay. It has a remote start and alarm system that makes me nervous. It may go away as well. The knuckle head disabled the clutch safety switch so the remote start would work. That makes me nervous if my wife or kids drive it. 

Drivers side window motor is dying. It will need to be replaced. 

I'm not real fond of huge wheels and rubber band tires. I may go down to a 18 ir 19 inch wheel and a decent set of tires. I'll burn up the cheap ones first. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/15/18 7:51 p.m.

I'm sportin' 19's with a 45 aspect ratio soft enough for me.....yea rubber bands i don't think suit you. I'll follow this for if nothing else the wiring electrical bugaboos that flair up....

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/15/18 8:25 p.m.

Starting it in gear is something you only really do once before you remember to make sure its out of gear, on the plus side if it ever stalls you can move it to the shoulder under starter power.

Papabishop
Papabishop Reader
8/15/18 8:36 p.m.

Nice! Plus on the VQ motors they use timing chains instead of a belt. Helps for longevity. I agree on wheels never been fan of big wheels like that. Good luck with it have fun! 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/15/18 8:45 p.m.

Sloppy Mechanics has just finished installing a 4.8L LS on spray (and looking to supercharge it).  Worth a looksee. SWEET (but expensive) kit that makes the swap easy-peasy.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/18 9:22 p.m.

Cool that it has the plenum spacer. That's supposed to add like 15 hp or something. I've always liked these cars, since I first saw them. 

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
8/16/18 7:27 a.m.
Antihero said:

Starting it in gear is something you only really do once before you remember to make sure its out of gear, on the plus side if it ever stalls you can move it to the shoulder under starter power.

i think the issue is more with the remote start being able to try to start it in gear when no one is in the car

Toyman01
8/16/18 7:28 a.m.
edizzle89 said:
Antihero said:

i think the issue is more with the remote start being able to try to start it in gear when no one is in the car

Or my wife climbing in and turning the key and running it through the water heater in the back of the garage. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/16/18 7:36 a.m.

You have the Brembo's too! Nice score. Plenum spacer is a good mod to keep. Cold air is probably fine too unless its ebay junk.

My clutch safety switch in my DD got stuck closed like 4 years ago. I actually like starting it in neutral with no clutch. Less wear on the clutch, less wear on thrust bearings in the engine. Slightly more wear on the starter which is easier to replace. It's never been a problem for me.

VQ35 being a chain engine doesn't necessarily mean less maintenance. For example the water pump is chain driven and pretty hard to get to, but they seem to last a long time. Chain guides may be worn by 150k or so, but won't strand you. Watch out for the coolant bleed valve inline with the heater hose in the back left of the engine bay. The plastic is very brittle and will crack easily. Cheap and easy to replace, but it could strand you so don't touch it (say for a coolant refresh) unless you already have a replacement bleeder.

If it doesn't already have it, LSD pumpkins from 350Z's bolt right in. Yours being a M/T should have it. I'm super jealous you found one that clean and I hope you enjoy it!!

Toyman01
8/16/18 5:25 p.m.

Step one is done. It desperately needed a oil change. I hate Nissan a little less. It was dead simple to do. The drain plug and filter are situated so you can pull them both at the same time and the filter isn't buried above the crossmember or some place equally stupid. 

It does look like there is supposed to be a undertray that is missing. I'll have to see if I can dig one up.

It's also missing the cover over the battery and master cylinder. frown

Why would you not put the stupid things back? It's not like you need to work on that stuff often.

Some people are just irritating. 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/18 5:34 p.m.

Hey, that's not a falcon.

Seriously, nice car. It is like a modern Z's grown up GQ older brother. I like.

Antihero
8/16/18 5:41 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

If its anything like golfs its taken out because stuff gets in there like rocks and rattles

Antihero
8/16/18 5:41 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Parking brake?

Its probably better to fix it though

Toyman01
8/17/18 9:15 a.m.

I went to get some keys made today. Unfortunately the local lock shop went out of business yesterday and the hardware store that says they can do chipped keys can't do Infinity keys. I did get him to cut me a spare door key to hide on the car somewhere. 

Anyone ever wire tied a chipped key in the column near the ignition switch and just used a standard key to start the car?

It also looks like unlocking the door with a key doesn't disable the aftermarket alarm. I guess I will be sticking the spare alarm remote in the glove box. 

Hal
Hal UltraDork
8/17/18 7:35 p.m.
Toyman01 said:
Anyone ever wire tied a chipped key in the column near the ignition switch and just used a standard key to start the car?

Yep, thousands of Gen I Focus owners.  If you had two good keys you could have a new chipped key cut at the hardware store and program it yourself.  If you lost one or didn't get two because you bought it used it would cost you $250 to get the dealer to cut and program two new keys,  So the answer was hide the good one you had and get some $3 blanks cut at the hardware store.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/17/18 8:31 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

Step one is done. It desperately needed a oil change. I hate Nissan a little less. It was dead simple to do. The drain plug and filter are situated so you can pull them both at the same time and the filter isn't buried above the crossmember or some place equally stupid. 

It does look like there is supposed to be a undertray that is missing. I'll have to see if I can dig one up.

It's also missing the cover over the battery and master cylinder. frown

Why would you not put the stupid things back? It's not like you need to work on that stuff often.

Some people are just irritating. 

Depending upon  where this was 'serviced' and not meaning to  disparage my 'local' guy, they usually seem to 'forget' to put this 'stuff' back.....by the hour ya'know..... frown

Toyman01
8/17/18 10:26 p.m.

On the test drive there was a little bearing noise coming from the rear end. Sounded like the passenger wheel bearing to me. When I asked the PO about it he assured me that Firestone told him it was a tire. I've been beating around cars for a good while. I know a wheel bearing when I hear one. It was good leverage when it came time to negotiate. 

I swapped the wheel bearing this evening. The noise is gone. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy this was to change. It took a little over an hour and zero swear words. 

Tomorrow, 80 mile road trip to my parents house and back.

Sunday, autocross!

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/17/18 11:00 p.m.

Nice, rear wheel bearings are pretty common.

Re: chipped key, yes you can hide one near the immob antenna and it will work just fine. I cut the chip out of a spare key and put it inside a "key coffin" when I did my remote start on the Spec V6 Sentra.

Toyman01
8/18/18 7:58 p.m.

Todays run was a success. 80 miles round trip. No serious issues. 

The double sided tape and plumbers strap that was holding the front spoiler on gave up the ghost. I removed it while I was at my parents house. I'll reinstall it properly when I get some time. 

Tomorrow, 220 miles round trip and a autocross. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/18 1:59 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

It took a little over an hour and zero swear words. 

Get the berkeley outta here!

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
8/19/18 2:51 p.m.

Those look like aftermarket headlights, so, if you happen to have driven at night, could you comment on whether they're any good?  If they aren't, do they look like you could replace the guts with decent units from Hella or somewhere?

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5JawwR0VtRjKtdqSRiAtNYm8968U5AdD7dVJKAnnB3OxXkAlRjgUnMqtv1C4l8cZ