rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 Reader
11/22/20 8:53 a.m.

Yesterday I picked up this 2003 Mini Cooper S from a friend of a friend. It has been sitting in a field for a few years and because of this it has numerous issues. The car has 141k miles on it and runs but one of those numerous issues is the electronic throttle not working so I have only idled around my dead end street. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet but with it being free even if I scrap it I'll make a little money. 

The issues:

- numerous electrical issues, both driver and passenger footwells have moisture in them and this has caused several problems. The aforementioned electronic throttle issue, the tach doesn't work,  ABS.ACS doesn't work, and it is throwing 12 codes. Worse part is someone started ripping into the driver side footwell to try to find the issue and it is a rat's nest down there. 

- exhaust is missing after the cat, found a cheapy exhaust on eBay so not too worried there

- forward O2 sensor is missing and the wires have been cut

- no brakes, major brake leak judging by the puddle under the car after I tried stopping the car when it was rolling off my trailer. 

- transmission does not shift into the lower gears, will only shift into R, 1, 3, 5 and even then it is extremely hard. I am guessing this is just a result of sitting in the field. 

- a few missing trim pieces although they are sitting in the car

- heavy dent in rear hatch

- small dent but it is at the edge of the driver's door

- rust starting under the driver side rear light

- missing front lower air dam- again, found this cheap on eBay too

- carpet is shot (don't care too much about this one)

- seats are shot

- driver side window works only sometimes

The good:

- it runs

- the the lights work (headlights, taillights, hazards, all work)

- the sunroof opens and closes

- the radio works

- glass is all good

- rest of the car is mostly rust free

- ummm, that's about it other than it was freee and I love the look of these Mini's (as does my wife which is a plus)

I haven't even gotten it in the air yet to look further at the car, I will make my decision after I do that either today or tomorrow. That is if I can get it up my driveway which is a hill and get it stopped before I crash through the backside of the garage. I think I may pull the seats and carpet and investigate the electrical issues further. I would love all of your opinions on what to do as well though. For me, I am much more comfortable tackling mechanical issues vs. electrical issues. I am a bit lost as to  where to start really, I plan to just look for borken wires, corroded connectors, etc and hope I get lucky. 

You can see the streak of brake fluid on the ground from where I tried to stop when coming off the trailer.

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
cdowd (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/22/20 9:44 a.m.

That is a fine looking free car!  Pull the interior and start cleaning connections.  Pull the codes and start from there.  Good luck and keep us updated.

rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 Reader
11/22/20 10:07 a.m.

Not off to a great start. Started and idled and got it into my garage without issue thanks  to the working parking brake. Fixed the wipers that weren't working only to try to start the car and now it won't fire. Found one bad connection which I repaired, still nothing. It turns over but doesn't fire. 
Let the tear down begin. I'm very tempted to pull the main harness connector apart and just butt connector all 42 wires. There is definite evidence of corrosion there ht it's not too bad. 

codes pulled:

PI 1692- electronic throttle control monitor low

PI 1612- serial communication link instrument pack

P2270- O2 sensor signal stuck lean bank 1 sensor 2

P0037- HO2S heater control circuit low bank 1 sensor 2

PO445- evaporative emissions system purge control valve circuit shorted

P0031- HO2S heater control circuit low bank 1 sensor 1

PI1613- serial communication link asc 

P1607- can- version

P0130- O2 sensor circuit bank 1 sensor 1

P1237- secondary upstream manifold air pressure sensor low input

I think that's all of them  

I am an hour in and I'm already considering if I want to spend the time on it. I have plenty of projects to spend time and money on. It won't hurt to dive deeper though. 

notsafeforwork
notsafeforwork Reader
11/22/20 11:01 a.m.

That's a parts car ! You can pick up a really good running example around here for between three and four grand or a bargain for two grand with a warning light or two that needs sorting.

Don't wast anymore time on it other than to begin pulling parts and tossing them up on Facebook Marketplace for sale . . . 

rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 Reader
11/22/20 11:40 a.m.
notsafeforwork said:

That's a parts car ! You can pick up a really good running example around here for between three and four grand or a bargain for two grand with a warning light or two that needs sorting.

Don't wast anymore time on it other than to begin pulling parts and tossing them up on Facebook Marketplace for sale . . . 

I think that's the conclusion I've come to as well. I don't think I'll part it out though, I may just junk it for a bit of  cash rather than part it out. If it didn't just quit running I may feel differently. 

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/20 11:48 a.m.

I certain you can sell that as a potential Challenger to somebody on the board for more than you'd get in scrap. I'm betting if you ask $500 for it, you'd have it sold here the same day.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
11/22/20 12:03 p.m.

I never saw that many codes from one car !

I would spend a day or 2  , use contact  cleaner and spray all the wiring that comes apart , 

If you disconnect the battery , will it reset the computer ?

rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 Reader
11/22/20 1:24 p.m.

It's up for sale, we will see what happens. 

I did disconnect the battery with no luck. 

notsafeforwork
notsafeforwork Reader
11/22/20 1:42 p.m.

"I'm certain you can sell that as a potential Challenger to somebody on the board for more than you'd get in scrap."

Good point ! ! 

rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 Reader
11/22/20 3:59 p.m.

It's listed in the for sale section now. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6laWOoQoEJgjDjihfDBfijUjc04zgFKYsG3Jpvj43epI7EUp5Rg3PQgDaTJyLgtV