1 2
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/23 4:13 p.m.

If you read this thread and thought that a $1K Saab that ran and wasn't a rust-bucket was a good deal, then we can be friends.  I contacted  bbaker480 and drove over to take a look. I was in the market for a winter beater to keep my other black sedan in the garage, and this thing was in pretty darn good shape for 185,000+ miles. The seller was great, we applied for a replacement title, and once the state got around to issuing it, I went and picked up the car. 

The Saab ran fine at highway speeds, it tracked straight and true, the brakes worked, and most things inside worked well. Truly impressed for $800 all-in. 

I already hit the local U-Pull lot for a few parts, and have a small list to start with. Have not had time to do anything but give it a quick wash so far, but as soon as some other projects are done I will get started. 

Issues it came with 

• Flex pipe broken on exhaust (included a replacement)
  • Rear window regulator broken (grabbed used one from yard) 
  • ABS light on (will clean sensors and check wires for shorts first) 
  • fuel level sender broken (will drop tank and replace, might do the pump while it is down.) 
  • radio does not work (Amp was removed causing issues with weird Saab fiber-optic system. Grabbed all dash components from the yard as well)

Other things to do 

• Paint correction and detailing 
  • Interior deep cleaning 
  • Clean motor and look for leaks
  • Change all fluids
  • Check all belts and hoses
  • Check brake pads and rotors 
  • Check front struts (Bilstein B6 upgrade?)
  • Check rear shocks (Bilstein B6 upgrade?)
  • New rear emblem
dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/2/23 7:44 p.m.

I'll be watching this one closely, as I have my own build thread going on an '04 Saab. Yours is the better color and equipment level, though!

dannyp84
dannyp84 HalfDork
5/2/23 7:57 p.m.

This has to be one of the best looking sedans of that era.

5/2/23 9:02 p.m.

Working on the radio tonight, can now recoup $5.53 to the budget from the nooks and crannies change. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
5/3/23 8:16 a.m.

Man I really wanted this car.  Glad it's in good hands with you.  Looking forward to the build! 

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 New Reader
5/3/23 8:41 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

that alone makes it worth it

5/4/23 8:44 p.m.

Two small victories today, the first was getting the car legally registered in Pennsylvania. After another disappointing experience with AAA, i'm done with them. Ignoring everything on the State of Pennsylvania's website, they insisted that I drive an hour to see the seller again and pay for another notary for a form to confirm the sell price, which the state will ignore. I went to a local car dealer and notary and they got me in and out with registration and a plate in ten minutes. 

Victory number 2 was getting the radio working. This is somewhat significant because it indicates that the car won't be used for lemons or a track rat. Maybe I flip it, maybe I drive it, who knows. 

Here's why the radio was broken. All Saab Infotainment systems are equipped with a Tron diagnostic circuit. Light cycles race down light tubes from component to component, and when they complete the circuit they report that everything is okay. I was missing an Amp under the driver's seat (a common issue) so the light cycles couldn't complete their journey. Ebay to the rescue and all is well in Tron again. 

5/12/23 2:51 p.m.

I have a weekend available to work on the Saab, so I started ordering parts and getting ready by researching how-to videos. One thing on the list is to replace the fuel level sensor, which requires dropping the tank, which is a major pain. It also sounds like cheap fuel pumps can fail quickly, and I have no desire to spend $300 for a pump or drop the tank in a few months. So that led me to this hack, cut a hole in the unibody under the back seat to access the pump. This way I can replace only the sender unit and save more $$$, and if the pump craps out, it will be easy to replace it down the road. 

Draw out a circle and cut it out with a Dremel...very carefully because there are wires and fuel below. 

The pump is not centered, dang, so measure out some more. 

Viola, plenty of room to pull the pump. Afterwards, I will make a cover plate to seal it back up. 

Blunder
Blunder New Reader
5/12/23 11:41 p.m.

Following along with this and the other Saab thread. I like me some Saab action. 

5/12/23 11:59 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

Pinchvalve - did you happen to see a ground wire under the driver's side seat when you added the AMP1?  I'm trying to track it down in my '04 9-3 Linear. Thanks!

5/15/23 10:14 a.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

I did not, but wasn't specifically looking for it either. Let me know if you'd like me to investigate or take photos, happy to help if I can. 

5/15/23 11:18 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

I did not, but wasn't specifically looking for it either. Let me know if you'd like me to investigate or take photos, happy to help if I can. 

Thanks! I figured out over the weekend that I need to remove the front seat and carpet to track down that ground, so I'll document it in my thread.

5/15/23 11:18 a.m.

Had a few hours to work on the Saab (name pending, suggestions appreciated) and I am happy to report success on most fronts.

I started out by getting the car into the air. 

And making a list of things to do.

And taking an inventory of what Rock Auto and Amazon had delivered.

Task #1 was the fuel pump. Yes, the pump was accessible and could be removed, but the same cannot be said for the fuel lines. There was a breather hose that connects to a fitting on the top of the tank which cannot be accessed from above. I decided that I could heat the line and pull it off and then shink the existing line onto the new pump. Using a heat gun on the top of a fuel pump in a tank full of gas was admittedly a bad idea, but I used some metal shielding and made sure my insurance premiums were paid up. I am typing this, so all went well. 

In the end, I dropped one side of the tank to get access to run fuel lines and while all is well in the end. Next time however, I will just drop the tank. So, the new pump is in, it is a bit noisy at startup, but works well. Gas gauge is functional and no more low fuel light.  The only issue is that I was unable to tighten the lock ring. I bought a special tool for it, but it does not fit, so I will customize it and try again. 

Next up was the loud exhaust. I cannot imagine why taping the broken flex pipe together was not a long-term solution, but it wasnt. Step one, cut out the old. The three bolts on the flange actually came off with minimal effort. 

Step 2, bolt in the new. This came with the car (awesome) and included a clamp to connect the pipe and avoid the need to weld anything. No idea if this will be legal in PA, but we shall see. Its nice and quiet now. 

The last big issue that would keep this from passing inspection was the ABS/Traction/ESC malfunction warnings. Internet sleuthing pointed to a short in the wiring for the rear sensors. The trick is to pop open this connection and check for continuity. 

Sure enough, there was a short in one wire. A quick splice was all that was needed. 

Amazingly, that was all that was needed. With the wires connected, the dash screen was happy again. No more ominous warnings and I hope to have ABS, traction control, and stability control again. 

Last project was to fix the rear window on the driver's side. I grabbed a complete assembly from the junkyard and naively thought it would be a 1:1  replacement.  It was until I tried to connect the plug. The old was a 2 pin, the new a 6 pin. Apparently the Aero has auto-down functions which require more electrons. So I swapped over the motor and plug and put it back in. Now the electrons were flowing, but the window was still not working. 

A look at the actual mechanism revealed a small issue. 

So more swapping to move the mechanism over and finally it was mostly working. Pushing down on the button makes the window go up. Pulling up makes the window go down. And this window now has an auto-up rather than auto-down function. I am sure that I could swap some wires, but I decided that old cars need quirks, so I am leaving it. 

The suspension bits showed up and I will dig into that next, but Saab decided that regular bolts were passe and used Torx-head bolts everywhere...which I do not have sockets for. Ugh, off to the store to get some. 

5/29/23 10:18 p.m.

I was able to spend some time on the Saab recently and have some updates. 

Project #1 was to complete the fuel pump installation by securing the lock ring. This turned out to be a bigger PITA than expected. I could not get the ring to lock in using the hammer and chisel I used to get the old one off. I bought a specialty tool that promised to do the job, but it didn't even fit. I modified it by cutting some bits off, but it was a piece of crap. The metal was so weak that it bent, causing it to slip and snapped off one of the fuel lines. ARGH! After some time, I figured out ways to MacGyver the lines and get them reconnected, but still could not get the lock ring to seal. I was frustrated enough to walk away and sleep on it. I made the decision that trying to avoid dropping the tank was causing more effort than it was worth.

I decided to start over by ordering an OEM quality pump (the cheap one was pretty loud) and starting over again. I dropped the tank, pulled everything out, and dropped in the new tank with all lines plugged in properly instead of held together with band clamps and crossed fingers. This is fuel, it should be done right. And I used the original lock ring instead of the one that came with the pump, and it snapped right into place. I finished up by making a cover to replace the metal that was removed, it just seemed like a good idea. 

Then I moved on to the brakes and shocks/struts, starting in the rear. The pads were shot, and the rotors were pretty rusted. Maybe they could have been turned, but I decided to just get an affordable set of rotors and pads and start with new stuff. They are drilled and slotted which was not necessary, but it looks cool so whatever. While back there, I swapped out the shocks with new Bilstein units. No idea how old the existing units were, but they were pretty crusty and not expensive, so why not. 

Here again, I needed a female star socket in a size that I did not have, so off to Amazon to order a set. When it came time to compress the brake pistons, all of the tools that I had did not work. The Saab requires a twist and compress action, so off to Harbor Freight to buy the right tool for the job. Ugh. But at least it worked well and I had the rear end finished. 

For the front, the struts didn't look bad, but I thought it best to upgrade the front with the rear, so in went matching Bilsteins. Of course, the nut on the top of the strut was not a size I had in my open-end Gear Wrench set. Argh! So I had to hold the shaft with an allen wrench and MacGyver a way to hold the nut in place. PITA, but I got it done.

Replacing the rotors was pretty straightforward, breaking some of the bolts was hard, but things were going along well. Until I got to the little set screw that holds the passenger-side rotor in place. It was frozen, and the allen key pretty quickly stripped out. Que the Dremel tool to cut a slot, then the impact driver to pop it loose. Happily, it came out and hopefully, I can find a replacement. 

I do want to change the brake fluid, but I hate bleeding brakes and may leave that to a shop to deal with. They are working and after bedding the pads, I will see if I get inspired to do it. 

After all that work, I moved to the engine. An oil change was pretty easy. Engine ail filter and cabin air filter were simple. Swapping the coolant was OK, but I thought the petcock was closed when I started refilling the coolant. It was not and I lost a 1/2 gal of Dexcool before I figured it out. Ugh. I also cleaned battery terminals and secured some hoses and such. 

I think it is ready to go off for state inspection now, fingers crossed that it will pass. No clue about emissions, but I think it will be OK. Next up is teaching myself to buff the paint and make it shiny, that should be an experience. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/30/23 9:58 a.m.

I have been putting off dropping the tank in our convertible and chasing the same ABS TC issue you have.  I need to get off my butt and get it done.  I had contemplated cutting an access hole, in the end do you think its worthwhile?

5/30/23 1:02 p.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

No. On mine, all of the hoses are clipped into clips on top of the tank, and there are several fuel line fittings on the top of the tank as well. I dropped the tank as low as it would go without lowering the exhaust, so all the access hole really did was allow me to remove the pump without having to pop off the last few fittings on the exhaust. Buy a tool that pops exhaust hanger rubber thingies off and just drop the tank. Drive around until you are on E first and it will be a piece of cake. It would have been a lot easier and faster and cheaper had I not been lazy and just dropped the tank. 

5/31/23 10:55 a.m.

I went for a little spin to bed the brake pads and she rolled 186K. 

5/31/23 2:21 p.m.

And how did we celebrate this milestone?

Took my son out for lunch and it died on the way. Me thinks that in the process of swapping out the fuel pump, debris was stirred up and clogged the fuel filter. It will start, then immediately chug and die. OK, back to the garage for some more tune up work. 

6/1/23 4:10 p.m.

Ugh, the filter is integral to the pump, so if I want to check it I have to pull the pump again. I am hoping that it's not the issue, some online sleuthing indicates that wiring is a common problem. I will verify that the pump is actually running before going too far. 

I also noticed that my headlights are on all the time. The switch is kinda loose on the dash, so I am guessing that something shorted at some point. Better than no headlights, but I will look into that as well. 

I found out that the Saab has a rear foglight! That's a first for me. 

6/5/23 9:14 a.m.

UPDATE: The headlights are on all the time from the factory, apparently it is a Saab thing and too complex and expensive to reprogram, so I am fine with it. 

The Fuel pump was faulty from the factory, an internal piece was cracked and broke off as soon as it was under pressure. I have to fight with the auto parts store on a replacement, but good news that it was mechanical and easily fixed with a new pump assembly. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/5/23 9:44 a.m.

If you ever end up in Ohio with the car I can fix the headlight thing.  

6/12/23 5:00 p.m.
Aaron_King said:

If you ever end up in Ohio with the car I can fix the headlight thing.  

I will take you up in that, road trip!

6/12/23 5:05 p.m.

I got the new pump in and she fired right up. A quick drive revealed no power at all. The OBD2 reader indicated MAF sensor failure. Did I plug that back in? No, I did not. DOH! With that sorted, it drove well so I took her to get inspected. Fingers crossed. 

6/14/23 4:35 p.m.

Well, it passed. ​​​​​​​

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
6/14/23 7:29 p.m.

Are there any engine gremlins on these at this mileage......looking way good   what's the tally($$$$) so far?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LEID7kdP4TBJbUE6EloscLmgi6Lg9tRSC8GDNSQNiIjDrq2RrnzzoYsGa1HXvAKe