1 2 3
billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
1/18/20 5:53 a.m.
smokeysevin said:

The spacers go on the other end between the rail and the injector. The position you have them in now alters the fuel spray pattern and could make it run worse.

Sean

The spacers are not existent any more as I have changed injectors.  As per FAST, the company that makes the spacers and kit I used they go on the bottom.

Other companies use them on the top to adapt to the rail spacing.  There are two types.

-Byron

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
4/20/20 11:05 a.m.

Picked up a FAST 102 this past week and got it all painted and installed.

I miss the stars, and will be adding them in later on down the road at paint time.

Next up Im hunting wheels.  I am either going with Ispiri ISR-8 or Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.3.  Going to depend upon pricing next month or so.

-Byron

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
4/20/20 2:35 p.m.

Nice - staring at a pile of goodies to do my next uprade.  I was trying to talk my dyno guy into doing it as the driver for this round 2 is I goofed pushrod length and hurt a lifter.  No dice - so I'll be digging into it myself.

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
7/31/20 9:11 a.m.

Did some interior upgrades and got it running with the 4" tube and LS7 MAF. 

Switched to speed density tune vs maf tune and it runs way better so far. 

Changed the coolant system out for G13 again, car runs 10c cooler. 90-95c vs 100-105c on dexcool. 

Hopefully I'll be on the dyno after some maintenance related hydraulic work. Replacing the master and slave and adding in a billet bearing support. 

-Byronnew carpetGrade 2 alcantara pillars, roof and sail panels. 4" tube and LS7 MAF card. New xpel ceramic tint. Works awesome and even though it looks dark, it's perfect at night for visibility. 

​​​​​The new alcantara rocks. 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
7/31/20 10:58 a.m.

This is my fave G1 'V'. At the time when I first read this I think I was on diff #2(G2 'V') from the dealer ship. I'm glad to see that you have the creative steel pumpkin  and only wish it were that easy for me because I'm looking at diff #4 when things settle down. Be safe stay well out. 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
7/31/20 11:42 a.m.

I replaced one diff and installed this beef cake diff brace setup.  Thus far it is holding up really nice, even after a trip to the drag strip.  Now I just have to tear it back apart as I had a rocker failure on my Com Cams Trunion Upgrade OEM LS Rockers...  Needle bearings are many places they shouldn't be.  Just dropped $20 on a variety of fine tip extendable magnets so hoping I can get them all dug out of her guts...

7/31/20 6:18 p.m.
84FSP said:

I replaced one diff and installed this beef cake diff brace setup.  Thus far it is holding up really nice, even after a trip to the drag strip.  Now I just have to tear it back apart as I had a rocker failure on my Com Cams Trunion Upgrade OEM LS Rockers...  Needle bearings are many places they shouldn't be.  Just dropped $20 on a variety of fine tip extendable magnets so hoping I can get them all dug out of her guts...

Good on y'all..you DON'T want the mess I have...... about my only hope besides spending upwards of $ 6.8k on a G-Force triple throwdown 9"Strange pumpkin...is to go the diff cooling route ........more later, out

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
8/1/20 6:06 a.m.

Marks braces are a super nice addition to any rear diff setup.

I went with the key brace from peasant designs for some extra cradle love, the difference it makes is phenomenal, even in how it corners.  The key brace keeps it planted.  I have a install video on my youtube channel, ETA wheels if you get board.

There are better options than a G force 9" such as the 8.8, or even in some circumstances the V2 cradle swap, though the V2 cradle swap isn't something I would normally consider.

-Byron

8/1/20 9:35 a.m.

The issue with the V2 diff as determined by others on the 'owners' forum is heat and minimal lubrication at the pinion gear. The bearings(?) fail, the pinion 'walks' and the ring is toast. On top of all this there are no part numbers from Getrag. One or two have come close with a ring gear and carrier bearings/shims/seals can be sourced, but the pinion is unobtanium at this point. You'll notice from the shots above the proximity of the exhaust to the nose of the diff, hence the heat source.....not to mention the quart and an eighth in capacity. I'm pursung the cooler scenario (more capacity) and header wrap on the offending sections of exhaust. More later y'all .......be safe

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
8/5/20 8:28 a.m.

New wideband is in, I'll be back up on the road pretty quickly this afternoon and happily data logging so I can finalize the tune and put this project more or less to bed. 

I went with an AEM canbus setup with the lsu 4.9 sensor. 

My old setup was a innovate lc2 setup, no complaints, but I wanted something a little bit easier to use. Sensor was dead, so after shipping here it would have ended up being a similar price. 

I'll update with pics later on. 

-Byron

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
10/21/20 7:27 a.m.

Well the new wideband has proven very handy and easy to use!

Super happy with it. 

Scored big on a new (to me) set of wheels. Energy Motorsports Individual, forged aluminum goodness. 

They were pretty rough, but passed a dye penetrant test. Got the damage repaired and the wheels sand blasted. 

I'll be powder coating the wheels myself in a 3 color combo. I got enough powder to do a solid color if I'm not happy with the results just in case. 

-Byron

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
10/21/20 1:51 p.m.

I look forward to seeing them coated! 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
10/21/20 2:42 p.m.

Nice work - My V fired up without incident after new rockers, dw300 fuel pump, and 102Tbody.  Dropping exhaust, rear cradle, drive shaft, and then tank was not a job I ever want to do on my garage floor again.  Super fun.  

Just have to torque drive shaft bolts and then can start fitting the new 3" stainless works exhaust setup.  It is just different enough than the Corsa setup that I'm gonna have to mock up and chop. 

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/21/20 2:56 p.m.

Great color choice!

Sounds to me like you solved the grenading rear diff I've heard some much about. Did you just use those key braces?

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
10/21/20 6:23 p.m.

Have the driveshaft in and just fitting the 3" sw exhaust.  Fired her up with open headers, wow, loud.  Gonna do a hot lap around the neighborhood tomorrow to see if the poly guibo is gonna shake or need realignment before the exhaust goes on.

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
10/25/20 3:16 a.m.

Finished up the wheels. 

I had planned on 3 colors, but I really liked this one, so I stuck with it. I'm really happy with the results. 

I'll be wrapping then in 255/40R19 falken fk510 or another set of Nexen N'FERA SU1 tires. Depends on availability. 

https://youtu.be/IVoQ57x5W54

Be sure to like and subscribe to my channel!

-Byron

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
11/18/20 5:26 a.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) :

I have an 8.8" diff from CS I put in a few years back. The key brace helps keep it planted, and it does so very very well. 

-Byron

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
3/14/21 6:23 a.m.

Made a few more changes since last I was here. 

Had some amazing toe rods built by a friend, lost one bushing on transit, so I'll be replacing them later on. 

Added a soler performance ported throttle body, which is excellent, got her on the dyno and ended up at 424whp 414tq. I did an indepth review on my YouTube channel if you want to learn more about it. 

Still some left in her, plugs were definitely not the correct heat range, so swapped to TR6ix for a cooler plug. Ran into some serious TCS issues with the system pulling timing out. 

Replaced the wheel hubs, rebuilt the CS toe rods and swapped plugs and wires. Afr is now flawless and she has more pep in her step than she did on dyno day. I'm not sure if I'm going to run it again or not as I am quite happy with it. 

Got the wheels setup, and it was a struggle, but ended up with 255/40r19 rears and 245/40r19 up front. Next set will be 245/40r19 square. 

The falken tires are amazing, keeps the car planted nicely and are easy on the wallet. 

Added a splash guard that was built by a friend of mine, which is a seriously improved version of the one I built a few years back. Getting ready for some 1/4 mile racing and hopefully soon some track days as I continue to feel out the car. 

Picked the colors for the paint at long last, going with a grey/blue combo that will really turn some heads when it's done. 

-Byron

Seems to be quite wonky on letting me post pics, so I'll post them 2 at a time instead. 

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
3/14/21 6:31 a.m.

In reply to billfrombyron :

Added a flip out, Audi style key. My pockets are now less stabby. 

Fitment took quite a while, but it's now flawless. 

Out and about in Abu Dhabi at the Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque. 

China Grey and Ganecian blue will be the color combo. 

Not bad results for a baby cam and heads LS2. 

-Byron

759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
3/14/21 7:10 p.m.

How are you acknowledged while out in the desert/in town with this sled? I presume tint is so severe that one must put the hand out the window for a thumbs up?? Also your dyno numbers are not to far off from what I've always acknowledged as to be expected (+/- 20%)  loss attributable to driveline design on my V2 LSA......wheel color ROCKS !!!

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
3/15/21 9:19 a.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:

How are you acknowledged while out in the desert/in town with this sled? I presume tint is so severe that one must put the hand out the window for a thumbs up?? Also your dyno numbers are not to far off from what I've always acknowledged as to be expected (+/- 20%)  loss attributable to driveline design on my V2 LSA......wheel color ROCKS !!!

I have one of 3 in the country that I know of, there is another in Abu Dhabi and I would love to meet the owner as I have a ton of spare parts for his car lol.  The final one to my knowledge has sat unmoved for almost 7 years and the guy refuses to sell it to me.

The tint isn't dark at all, it's 40%, what you see is the effect of a dark interior and the ceramic layer on the tint.  Looking out you can just barely tell the difference, even at night.  Usual acknowledgment is a thumbs up or a rev of their own engine.

Since swapping plugs, wires, and hubs she has defiantly settled down and I am pretty sure she will make more now that the fueling tables are finished up.  I haven't had funds to re-run her, but I will let it eat the next 1/4 mile for kicks to see how she does.  It is surprising how well it keeps up with newer stuff considering it's got 174,000 miles and climbing.  Ultimately it's a fun daily, with the intention of some track days.  I am looking hard at a LS9 blower set up this year after the paint, and seats get finished up.

-Byron

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
4/4/21 9:06 a.m.

Got her all packed up and delivered to Mk1 customs in Dubai for what will end up being a sick paint job. 

Peeled off some of the wrap to check condition of the paint below........I was less than impressed. It's the vinyl, rex products seems to have serious issues. 

Not just my car, lots of guys here have had similar issues with it failing like this. 

But damn if those wheels don't look amazing on this car. Don't hate on the bmw center caps, it's the only ones I could find that fit properly. 

Hopefully in a few days I'll have some progress pics of the paint work. 

-Byron

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
4/4/21 9:08 a.m.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
4/4/21 7:07 p.m.

BFB what is your rim diameter ? Is there room for a 275ish tread in those wheel wells? I'm running 275/40-19 square(BFG comp-2A/S's) for DD principles.....late

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
4/5/21 8:39 p.m.

I'm running 275/40R and 255/45/F with no rub issues.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EGPGc7eVLRxvlugMgMMuP1exNQ135qyoR2tchd0QBU8lKMC5klWMmzjofQQx2IEi