1 2 3
billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
4/12/21 2:10 a.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:

BFB what is your rim diameter ? Is there room for a 275ish tread in those wheel wells? I'm running 275/40-19 square(BFG comp-2A/S's) for DD principles.....late

The new wheels are 19x8.5. 

I previously ran 245/40r19 and 275/35R19 combo, but went to a 245/40R19 and 255/40R19 combo to raise the car up a bit higher for some unique speed bump clearance issues faced here in Abu Dhabi. It's a 27" vs 26.6" tire diameter, which helps with ground clearance, and my KWs are set to 365mm square. I'm very happy with the results, the 26.7" combo would still make exhaust contact with the speed bumps, and the trade off in traction is very minor. Actually to be honest the car hooks better now than it did with 285 and 275 respectively. It also feels far more balanced, to me a 275 is nothing more than a visual mod, nothing else. 

245/40r19 and 255/40r19 is a great combo for my daily needs. I can't go wider in the front than a 245/40R19, with either set of wheels, with or without a spacer. 

I wanted to run 255/40R19 square and it's a no-go for fitment. It should work, but in application it didn't. You most likely won't notice a bit of difference anyway. 

-Byron

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
4/12/21 2:15 a.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

If you are running those sizes, your definitely on an 18" wheel. A 255/40R19 doesn't fit, even with +42 like OEM fitment. If you go with 19" keep that in mind. 

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
4/27/21 9:38 p.m.

Quick teaser pic of the new paint. 

The color is Aston Martin China Grey and it's absolutely an amazing color. 

It reacts with different lighting conditions and to the environment around it. Comes home Thursday. 

-Byron

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
4/28/21 10:04 a.m.

Looks a lot better without the black accents like it had with the vinyl. 

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
4/28/21 10:50 a.m.

Need to paint over those center caps, but the new paint looks great!

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
4/28/21 8:00 p.m.

I didn't need to see this(wink)......well done enjoy!!!!!!

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
4/28/21 9:52 p.m.
JeremyJ said:

Looks a lot better without the black accents like it had with the vinyl. 

The black accent door moldings are staying, they simply are not installed in this picture. 

They will however be the a fresh coat of gloss black. The black surround of the grill has gone back to chrome. This may go back to black before the ceramic coating. Haven't decided yet. 

Having the small bit of gloss black on the door moldings allows it to have a bit more definition, as people have a tendency to ignore a grey car. 

After I pick it up this afternoon, it's going to the interior shop to get new leather, new dark grey alcantera inserts and blue stitching. No diamond stitch, just regular old normal double row baseball stitching. 

Then back to Dubai for the ceramic coating and a proper professional photo shoot. 

-Byron

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
4/28/21 9:54 p.m.
camaroz1985 said:

Need to paint over those center caps, but the new paint looks great!

In due time. I have something far cooler planned for the center caps. Until then they will stay. Besides I actually kinda like them. People get so confused when they see the car. 

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
4/28/21 9:55 p.m.

Another little preview. 

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
4/28/21 9:57 p.m.

Another little preview. The chrome around the grill will help hide the dirt behind it, but the grill is staying gloss black for now. When you live in the middle east, it's impossible to keep this part clean. 

-Byron

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
4/29/21 4:04 p.m.

Brought her home last night finally. 

Some pics along the journey home. 

-Byron

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
4/30/21 1:53 a.m.

Did the most American thing ever in Abu Dhabi and took a cruise to Denny's. 

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
4/30/21 7:48 a.m.

A little booty pic for the road. 

I absolutely love how the wheels and purple calipers pop now with this color. 5 years of building, saving and modifying is almost at an end. New leather goes down tomorrow. Hopefully a week or so, then back up to MK1 dubai for some coating love. 

Going with an Onyx Graphene 10H pro coating when the time comes. 

After that, getting a proper professional photo shoot, complete with rolling shots. 

-Byron

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
5/8/21 4:35 a.m.

Got the interior materials all picked out. It's going to look super sharp. 

It's leather-tex material, same stuff Lexus and Toyota is using here in GCC countries. Grade 2 dark grey alcantera panels. Blue stitching throughout. 

Removing 1.5" off the bottom and 1/2" off the seat back foam and replacing with medium density foam. It will allow more headroom and I will finally be able to wear a helmet in the car. 

They are styling the seats to mirror these ones. 

-Byron

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
5/14/21 6:07 a.m.

It's all done and freaking awesome!

The new materials are super comfy and the medium density foam absorbs the increased harshness of the stiffer springs and bushings perfectly. 

I couldn't be happier with the results, and it feels like a newer and more modern car. The adjustments to the foam make entry and exit much easier on me, and I now have 2" of additional head room. 

Another bonus is they replaced every trim clip from the dash back to the trunk and basically rebuilt the seats along with the foam reshaping. 

The blue accent stitching just takes an already amazing design and pushes it over the top, but in a tasteful way. It's clean and awesome. 

-Byron

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
5/15/21 5:42 a.m.

And the video. Don't forget to like and sub!

I've got all sorts of diy and CTS V1 related stuff. 

-Byron

https://youtu.be/eqc6UqJRtXY

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/16/21 6:22 a.m.

OMFG HOW AM I JUST NOW SEEING THIS!? I LOVE ALL OF IT!!!

Wayne and I were remarking yesterday how the $2k challenge V was/is the greatest score ever. She just keeps "giving" and doesn't ask for much.

LOVE THE PAINT!

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
5/19/21 9:29 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

Glad you like it! It's getting a graphene coating installed at the moment. 

Replacement of the windshield  also, as I've had 2 bullseye cracks for years and they finally started getting bigger. 

It was pretty neat seeing the pics when they did it, I've never seen a place that removes the glass without breaking it first. So that was cool. 

-Byron 

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
5/26/21 3:33 a.m.

And she is done. 

I'll stick the spoiler back on and the badges tomorrow afternoon. But she looks perfect now. 

https://youtu.be/aX3a1fkZ-GM

-Byron

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
5/26/21 8:09 a.m.

Looking great sir - a bit sad mine will be going soon for a newer company car.  Front runner is an 18 up ATS-V though...

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
5/26/21 6:55 p.m.

Do you think my light grey interior would look good with this jacket???? I don't need to see this ...wink

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
7/26/21 3:27 a.m.

Picked up some additional visual horsepower. 

Hopefully it will get delivered soon. The blue matches my seat stitching perfectly. 

weighs in about 1/2 lb ish.

-Byron

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
9/12/21 3:37 a.m.

Finally got it in hand after a long trip across the pond to me. 

It's stunning in person, great little subtle touch to the interior. 

Also finally scored an unbroken shifter trim after 5 years of searching. I'll be creating a 3d scanned file and making one or two for kicks. 

-Byron

billfrombyron
billfrombyron New Reader
1/17/22 2:41 a.m.

Broke my hand in September, finally got the car back on the road and all cleaned up. 

Here is a picture of my 2 favorite rides side by side. 

-Byron

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1rUO4GFAufUwJh97JfOK7Mo4rBGPuJw8WQNjEWeUAsor9uikcrRfgbRuDfbj89n2