1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
vdblu1
vdblu1 New Reader
2/15/22 5:30 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to vdblu1 :

How did the ride quality go? Any efficiency loss? Thats my biggest concern with going to bigger diameter wheels and fat rubber.....

The ride is about the same. The old tires were really bad so that's a tough comparison. Everyone says that the efficiency will go down and I don't doubt it. They were noticably heavier when I changed them. I may look at eco tires when these wear down. Width and height are very close to the stock Prius tire.

vdblu1
vdblu1 New Reader
2/15/22 5:40 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to vdblu1 :

The FRS's look great!!  Really nice.  But, I'm personally too cheap to step up to 17"ers.  I looked and Falken 250's in 15" are $87 and same tire in 17" are $117.  Sure, just $30 but times 4 = $120 more per set.  Yeah, I'm cheap.  Also then need to add in the $200-ish maybe paid for these wheels.

But, they do look good and if I were in the race for looking good, they could be a deal.  

I picked these up with usable tires for $400. So an OK deal. The stock wheels needed refinished and the tires were bald. I didn't really want it off the road for long enough to refinish the wheels so this helped that way too. I'm not anticipating her changing habits and starting to drive a lot. If so the mileage might be a bigger issue. Top priority was reliable followed by cheap to buy and then decent gas mileage. $2500 for a 200k mile Prius seemed to fit the bill. Wish me luck on the reliability.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/17/22 7:31 a.m.

Tint done. 20% on everything, 65% on the windshield. Looks way better, and headlights aren't nearly as blinding now. 

Before:

After:

And the headlights are more yellowed than I thought they were. 

Ill still try thesystematic approach to them as well. Polish and hella bulbs. Then, if im not happy, new housings amd mirimoto projector retrofit with 55w hid setup. 

Stereo stuff should be here tomorrow, and if the weather holds im running to the junkyard before going to the airport. 

Dusterbd13-michael
2/17/22 4:11 p.m.

billet wheels are not the answer this time. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/17/22 5:17 p.m.

I think I was convinced that billets were not the answer even before you set them next to the car.  At least not the answer without the Solo Cup Jazz.  

I'd love to see a work situation where you roll up as "mayor of crazy town" with billets and jazz!

That's a lot of tint.  Are there no restrictions or rules in NC?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/22 7:02 p.m.

Honestly I think I need to see the billets mounted before I make my decision. 

10001110101 New Reader
2/17/22 9:23 p.m.

I agree with Stampie. I'm not sold on billets not being the answer. 

Dusterbd13-michael
2/17/22 9:44 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I need a sticker that says mayor of crazytown for this car now. 

And yes, we have tint laws. This car violates them in many ways. Generally, 35% and no windshield on sedans. This is 20% but seems darker than the trucks and neon at 20%.and has the windshield done. 

The law here is intermittently enforced. 

Stampie and 10110011: these would require an adapter to change the lug pattern to bolt up. Didn't want to go to that expense without being more certain of wether i dug the wheels. Also, i have an offer of $800 on them from a dude in Tennessee. So, i don't think ill actually get the adapters yet. Im just not convinced that billet is the direction this car wants to go. 

I think it wans bronze 16s with a bit of lip. Like slipstreams or heliums. 

Or the darkhorse i found on Facebook marketplace today: drag brand wheels. New for $350 for the set. 16x7

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike HalfDork
2/17/22 10:00 p.m.

I just wanted to share about the USB port.  This is the one I got for my Venza. 

https://mictuning.com/products/mictuning-dual-usb-port-6-4a-12-24v-car-charger-3-0-quick-charger-for-toyota-car?variant=39499354767417

There are two sizes of knockouts.  See which one you have. To hook it up, I used an add a circuit adapter in the fuse box.  That only splice to wire up is to get the Jack connected to the doubler. Don't have to cut into any harnesses.  Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TG1ZGD3?pd_rd_i=B07TG1ZGD3&pd_rd_w=je8OG&pf_rd_p=96895e5b-718c-4171-8246-228d0780f78a&pd_rd_wg=Nwzpf&pf_rd_r=QW1MDHHVH57RN0JQCBKX&pd_rd_r=b9a84e5a-0362-4050-9a8d-0abdc9d7200f

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/22 8:49 a.m.

Take the $800 and buy bronze wheels

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/18/22 8:55 a.m.

Do you not have safety inspection?  I thought tint was part of inspection.  I'm preparing to have to strip it off my car (came from AZ) in a month if I can't find a replacement vehicle before then.

Dusterbd13-michael
2/18/22 9:30 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

We do. However, again, not strictly enforced in my area. It is way darker than my other 20% cars for some reason though 

Patrick: yup! Kinda the plan!

Wxdude: ordered! Thansk!!!

10001110101 New Reader
2/18/22 10:35 a.m.

I'm down with the bronze wheels. Heliums will bend with a lower profile, I had a set on a Civic years ago. Take a look at the Hypergram, those look really good and a little darker bronze as well. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/22 10:49 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

We do. However, again, not strictly enforced in my area. It is way darker than my other 20% cars for some reason though 

I bet the glass started with a bit more tint from the factory compared to your other vehicles.

Congrats on the clean car, hopefully it does the trick for you.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/22 11:23 a.m.

The bronze Slipstreams look spot-on to me.

I keep imagining a big stripe over the hood, roof, and hatch.  Like a 10" wide one straight down the middle, flanked by a couple 1" strips on each side.

My mind goes to dark blue...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/18/22 1:08 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

My mind goes to TRD

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/22 1:13 p.m.
adam525i said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

I bet the glass started with a bit more tint from the factory compared to your other vehicles.

Congrats on the clean car, hopefully it does the trick for you.

If the car was originally purchased in the south eastern part of the US, then it would have had darker tint than other regions normally get. The reason is that the regional overlord for the Toyota dealers has a hand in those sales and all cars they handle get darker tint...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/18/22 1:25 p.m.

I would go for more width on the wheels.  What size tires do you anticipate running?

On the subject of tint that looks so dark it is dangerous.  I don't know how you could see out of that at night.  My car has tint that is significantly lighter than that and its... not good.

Dusterbd13-michael
2/18/22 2:19 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Its actually not as bad as my truck at night, though appears darker in photos. Its also only been overcast here when ive been taking pictures. 

It may wind up being too dark to get away with or be practical, in which case i have only me to blame for telling the tint shop 20%. 

Stock tires are 185/65/15. Im planning on keeping narrow tires in it purely for rolling resistance. Main goal of this whole thing is a 45mpg lifetime average! This tank is 47 according to the meter. 

I may ultimately go 16x7 or 8 with a 205/55/16 though  

Steve: sold new in Florida. It didn't look tinted at all, but it may have been which is what threw this one off.

Dusterbd13-michael
2/18/22 3:46 p.m.

brown santa was just here. 

Pictured is the Ebay auction new damaged box kenwood dpx504bt and all the install gear, as well as the usb charging socket wxdude reccomended. 

All told, about 250 in parts in this picture for streaming audio and handsfree calling from teo cellphones simultaneously. Its kinda a requirement for work.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
2/18/22 7:30 p.m.

"All told, about 250 in parts in this picture for streaming audio and handsfree calling from teo cellphones simultaneously. Its kinda a requirement for work."    Are you the least bit distracted with this set up......uh like me laying on the horn cuz yur messing around with your twin phonz at a stop light (turned green)......wink???

Dusterbd13-michael
2/18/22 7:40 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Generally not, unless im checking work email. 

The audio from my personal phone is for music and nav, and isn't generally answered unless im stopped somewhere. But the work phone needs to be answered. And i need to be able to drive while talking, and handsfree is the only way to do that. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/22 7:52 a.m.

Bronze paint the stock wheels bronze and run the life out of the tires then decide on wheels 

Dusterbd13-michael
2/19/22 1:46 p.m.

no in progress pictures. Too pissed at breaking brittle plastic. Time to find all the dash vents. Doubt furrs will have any usable ones, and they are the only local cars i know of. 

However, the new stereo rocks. Does everything i need it to do. 

Ill wind up with a sub and component speakers before its over though 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/19/22 5:23 p.m.

Dash vents:

Brittle plastic is plastic of the south...  You want sheet metal from the south but you want interiors and plastics from the north.  This is my Prius parts guy: Randy Dean.  He's about 1.5 hours from me and maybe 45 minutes from Patrick.  The stuff you want will be plentiful and cheap.  Isn't Pat coming down, when?  

Have Pat bring you a driver's seat too.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QzGREAPs5jMzh0EWPJ5SPWsaDs7OYKGGiK0WqN09vqDNLTzIleGgcD1eNjUmm6gn