1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/1/22 8:24 a.m.

Don't loose faith.  There's a reliable, economical, low mileage car on the other side of these initial repairs.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/1/22 8:29 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I have plenty of faith.  I really, really like this car. Its just super annoying to have the teething issues. I know yhey are the common ones, but annoying nonetheless. I just want to drive it and tweak it for cool, but i guess reliability is first this time. 

But, at least the neon is up and running right! Means i don't have to drive the truck at 12mpg, or duster at 10. 

Dusterbd13-michael
3/1/22 5:19 p.m.

46.99! 

6.99 for the capacitors, 40 for soldering. 

And 9 gallons of premium in the neon today. 

The prius is a RADICALLY different car from the neon for them to both be fwd econobox. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/1/22 6:38 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

It's easy to get the upper dash just set into place but plugged in. Before full reassembly plug in the power and park buttons and fire up the car. Verify its all good before full reassembly. 

Dusterbd13-michael
3/1/22 6:51 p.m.
John Welsh said:

It's easy to get the upper dash just set into place but plugged in. Before full reassembly plug in the power and park buttons and fire up the car. Verify its all good before full reassembly. 

I swear to God you just read my mind. 

Done! Everything lit up. And i mean EVERYTHING. 

But, good clear numbers. Gonna call it a win. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/1/22 7:57 p.m.

How many hours do you think you have into the total teardown and replace?  I timed myself on my second try and I was exact 3 hours but that also included a factory radio swap out from my parts car but still more than 2.5 hours.  And, as stated, that was my second time.  

This is exactly the reason the $500 Prius was just $500.  The owner had already put 223k miles on the car and the dealership was telling her $2k to replace the combination meter.  Rather than sink more money into her old car, she bought a newer Prius.  Turns out the answer is somewhere between 69 cents and $46.99 for the repair.  

So, note to other GRMers.  If you can find a Gen2 Prius with a "dead dashboard", buy it cheap and invest a few hours and even fewer dollars into its revival.  

Dusterbd13-michael
3/1/22 8:14 p.m.

Good question, honestly. Im guessing 4-5 interrupted hours. Including cleaning everything and tightening every fastener i can find.

Dusterbd13-michael
3/3/22 8:02 a.m.

All back together this morning and working well. And no broken parts anymore!

I even got the usb port in on the dash for the gos phone. And ran wores for an auto darkening rear view mirror. 

Fog light kit will be interesting. I think im going to be modifying it on install for always on operation with the headlights.  No such thing as too much forward visibility at night, as long as its not blinding other drivers. 

But thats another day. Same with plugs and pcv. I did an oil change as well, and it was odd how much oil seemed to be in it. I knew the dipstick read high, and i assumed about half a quart. Nope! Lot more than that. 5-6 was what drained.  It calls for 3.75. So mobil1 5w30 synthetic and good for another 5k. Wix filter as well. And a cabin air filter for good measure. 

I really like this car. It needs buffed and ceramicoated. And a sub. I bought an amp from Patrick, but need to find time and weather for fiberglass shennannigans

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/3/22 10:25 a.m.

Re: auto darkening rear view mirror. 

There was a factory auto darkening mirror offered.  I had one on my P1 which was a pretty loaded car with all but no nav and no leather.  That factory mirror also had homelink (garage opener) built into the mirror.  Are you headed down the path of a used factory unit or a aftermarket unit?  

Sample: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265147099186?fits=Submodel%3ABase%7CYear%3A2006%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A1.5L%7CModel%3APrius%7CMake%3AToyota%7CTrim%3ABase+Hatchback+4-Door%7CEngine%3A1.5L+1497CC+l4+ELECTRIC%2FGAS+DOHC+Naturally+Aspirated&hash=item3dbbffa832%3Ag%3AWFsAAOSwlx1gkCuu&LH_ItemCondition=4

I'm not sure what you'd need for wiring. 

Could be programmed to open 3 different garage doors and then on/off buttons for the auto-dim function.  I only used to center garage button.  The other buttons made it too easy to accidently move the mirror while pushing button.  

Link to my Prius Dismantler

Opti
Opti Dork
3/3/22 10:26 a.m.

What ceramic coating do you use?

Dusterbd13-michael
3/3/22 11:28 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Honestly, was going to use a Durango piece. Ive used a bunch of them over the years and theyre $11 from pullapart....

Dusterbd13-michael
3/3/22 11:30 a.m.

In reply to Opti :

Cquartz uk 3.0 

Six months outside on the daily truck and minivan. Still beads and washes like the day i applied it.

Opti
Opti Dork
3/3/22 11:59 a.m.

Thanks Ill check it out. Need to do the camaro

I saw your post about cracking the bezels this morning and got all excited. Ive had a set sitting under my desk for going on 3 years, then I caught up and realized you already found some.

Dusterbd13-michael
3/3/22 12:59 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

Man, i appreciate the thought! I was luckily able to scrape together a set, including a cheap new park button bezel from Ebay. 

The cquarts was reccomended here, and so far ive been happy. Got it from Amazon. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
3/3/22 6:43 p.m.

"And ran wores for an auto darkening rear view mirror. "

Hey Michael are wores wires in NC?.......sorry couldn't........BWaHahaha.......

The more you mess with this..... and reveal the boogers, I thought I'd never even be the least inclined to 

pursue the "appliance" as a DD. Carry on.........

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike HalfDork
3/4/22 9:46 a.m.

If that mount doesn't like to stay on the dash due to the texture, I would recommend using the little triangle window in front of the front door.  This is assuming the telescoping on the mount is long enough to make it usable.  I'll grab a picture from my Venza.  Looks great!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/9/22 6:19 a.m.

I just want to say nice timing on your Prius purchase. I suspect the value of these is going to rise quickly with fuel prices spiking. 

Dusterbd13-michael
3/9/22 6:23 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Wors are automotive here, wires are house. Its a matter of inflection....

laugh

Wx: that was me second spot to try. I do like where it lands the gos screen though. Way better than most others.

Ohs: exactly! Divine intervention levels of perfect timing here. Heck, the dealer i bought it from called and offered me 10k!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/9/22 8:35 a.m.

Really, the dealer called!?  

Congrats for being on the right side of the decision making this time!  

For years, I ran a dedicated gps.  It resided on the dashboard like this.  Just a Garmin brand friction (no stick) sort of bean bag, thing.  It never really moved on its own unless you were really hammering the corners (remember, this is a Prius so not all that likely.)  There may be similar aftermarket for phones.  

Dusterbd13-michael
3/9/22 9:19 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Great minds!

Or was it you that gave me the idea?

Dusterbd13-michael
4/14/22 6:12 p.m.

A month later: it continues to be a fantastic appliance. 

I did plugs and pcv, replaced the faulty maf sensor with a new Toyota piece, and am at 108.4k already 

I also scored a set of prius touring wheels that need refinishing. And a set of wheel spaces to fill the wheelwell better with stock parts. Those will go on sometime  

Prior to that, fiberglass sub box. It needs knock in my Metallica. 

This four day weekend: polish and ceramicoat before any more white fails. Iys pretty nad already....

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike HalfDork
4/14/22 6:29 p.m.

Let's try this again. Here's where I have my mount

Dusterbd13-michael
4/14/22 6:56 p.m.

In reply to Wxdude10 - Mike :

That's pretty solid idea!

Dusterbd13-michael
4/18/22 9:37 a.m.

20 mm hubcentric spacers rear, 15mm front. Notice the factory studs protruding from the new face

stock wheels have these casting voids where tge protruding studs nestle perfectly. 

After pictures when i get it outside. 

Also, car has been completely claybarred, polished, scrubbed. The white makes it WAY harder than the other cars ive done. But im happy with how its coming out. 

Im also done with first layer of ceramicoat on the rood and front clip. Its just time consuming, and kills my hand and shoulder to do. So im moving slow. Probably wind up driving the neon or the wifes minivan this week for work to do both ciats without hating life 

Dusterbd13-michael
4/18/22 12:28 p.m.

First full round of ceramicoat is done.

Think i may start on my subwoofer install and battery fan cleaning since i cant work outside, and stampie brought me patricks amp this weekend. 

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1FmQLneVs71dtO9BbrMgLbuMgsW0j2KLswF8EdEUdZ6bDfPy6Z2sInQ7hFJFj29J