1 ... 3 4 5
Stavison
Stavison New Reader
3/3/21 10:58 a.m.

Man, I just found this thread and I'm sad to see you sold the car but at least it's in good hands and still getting love. I have one of these that I use for rallycross and I've always thought it would make for a great daily/beater with some lowering springs and a nice wheel/tire setup. Now seeing this makes me want to get a second one... Love the look of those Ronal's too, it's great how many wheels work on these, I've got some Integra LS Mesh, BMW Bottle caps, and this weekend I'm getting a set of aw11 MR2 Triangles. Each of these wheel sets I got for less than $100/set.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
3/3/21 11:06 a.m.

4x100 for the win! So many cool wheels to choose from. 

Dad took the car to a shop, they put a new starter in it and the problem persisted. Then apparently they added and cleaned a bunch of grounds and it's working well. If it were still mine I think I'd look into total battery cable replacement, but for now it appears to be functioning well again. 

I think Bobzilla was right with his statement about the battery cables degrading. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/3/21 11:12 a.m.

In reply to Gunchsta :

yeah, 2000's Korean stuff has crap cables. Change the power and ground and 90% of your problems disappear.

dark_09accent
dark_09accent
7/17/21 5:27 p.m.

In reply to Gunchsta :

I can vouch for you on this. Just did the "mod" today. Definitely helps it to breathe. It's like an oem cold air intake.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
8/2/21 7:30 a.m.

Dad still has this, seems like the starter issue was resolved with a new OEM Hyundai starter. It seems happy now! 

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/3/22 12:56 a.m.

Bumping this back up.  With my fuel costs at $7/gallon, and a week's commute in my '77 C10 at $96 in gas and likely to climb, I just bought a 2010 Accent.

I like those Ronals.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/3/22 6:09 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

Pics or it didn't happen. Lol. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
3/3/22 7:35 a.m.

I'm with Bob on this one lets see it!

3/3/22 8:59 p.m.

Have to have the Chevy there so you know it's me.  Plus Mrs. Skinny's Infiniti, and SkinnyKid1's Civic.

What a delightful car to drive. Really enjoyable. Like, big smile on my face the whole drive home.

I'll for sure do springs.  If there isn't a rear sway bar, I'll likely make one.  Not sure I want a big throaty exhaust or not.  Mainly want to keep it dead nuts reliable, but still fun.  I'll be pouring over this thread (and the rally car one) to soak up as much as I can.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/22 11:05 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

A cheapie eBay "intake"/cone filter really woke up mine, without the drone of a boy-racer exhaust. 

3/3/22 11:51 p.m.

Ordered all new belts, plugs, t-belt kit, and some lowering springs.  Because priorities.

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
3/4/22 9:37 a.m.

I'd highly suggest Bob's recommendation to remove the silencer from the factory air intake. I believe I outlined it earlier in this thread and it made some amazing intake sounds after that. 

These are great little vehicles, and they don't seem overly prone to rust. One thing I have noticed about both this one (my dad still has it) and my wife's next generation (2014) Accent is they like to rust above the windshield. Not horribly but I'd advise staying on top of any rock chips up there. The windshield kinda sits lower than the roof and has a pretty flush gasket so it seems everything that pings off the glass rolls up and chips the roof. 

3/10/22 11:49 p.m.

You're right about the rust above the windshield.  I have a spot sandblaster which I can use to blitz just the rust areas.  I'll epoxy prime them and paint just the repair. Maybe a fillet bead of silicone to protect it. Not worried about perfection, but you're right - I'll need to keep on top of that section.  

Loving driving it.

Also ordered a fuel pump, because I forgot.  Getting a pump now is cheaper than the tow later.

I should do a build thread....

Blitzen6
Blitzen6 New Reader
12/8/22 6:18 p.m.

Just helped a friend buy a base model Accent with a 5-speed. It's his first manual car, and I'm reaching him to drive stick, so I've driven it as much, if not more than he has at this point. I am honestly a little envious, this thing is an absolute hoot. He doesn't plan to keep it too long, and has promised me first refusal.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MwtaYL3ONCKMsVOnqS9DleEdYwQKTaCH9ll4BWTmrx7jCvwhIxDY7Id8Dwvr2lkb