1 2 3 4 ... 6
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/6/20 7:00 a.m.

It IS  pretty. 

Congrats on not killing your wife. Or the guy that hit the van.

And ive done almost the exact same thing. More than once. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/6/20 7:35 a.m.

Your deductible shouldn't matter if it's going on his insurance. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/20 8:04 a.m.
dculberson said:

Your deductible shouldn't matter if it's going on his insurance. 

MI has no-fault insurance but I think you're right since I carry Broad Form Collision on the Ody.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/6/20 8:55 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

At insurance rates, I predict $2k in suspension work and $2k in rear end dent and another $2k if the bumper cover needs to be replaced. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/20 9:00 a.m.

well, I guess that is one way to fix the problem with the suspension. Glad everyone was alright

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/6/20 9:21 a.m.

That's a $5k job me thinks..  Lots of paint work to blend on that rear once they pull the dent.. 

AngryCorvair
2/6/20 10:39 a.m.

I'd be happy enough if they totaled it.  I don't want to buy another car right now, but an EcoBoost AWD Flex is on my short list of family trucksters.

AngryCorvair
2/6/20 10:46 a.m.

LF rim got horse-berkeleyed by impact. Just moving from street to driveway it had that sweet Shriner's Bike wobble.

Two spokes are gouged pretty good. I might jack it up and pull the wheel just to have a look around before it goes to the shop.

LF fender looks a lot worse in the daylight.

And there's a scuff down the whole side that I couldn't see in the dark.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/6/20 10:58 a.m.

Dang. Forgot about no-fault insurance. I got bitten by that when my wife got rear ended in her Miata while in Detroit.

Fueled by Caffeine
2/6/20 11:12 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

I EcoBoost AWD Flex is on my short list of family trucksters.

I've always liked those.. would tow any boat I need.. But I need to get the kiddo's out of the big seats first.. 

Baby steps..

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/6/20 11:24 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

And yes, it's February and I haven't taken down the lighted wreath.  I think it's pretty.  berkeley you.

It's pretty just like you. 

Fueled by Caffeine
2/6/20 11:33 a.m.
Stampie said:
AngryCorvair said:

And yes, it's February and I haven't taken down the lighted wreath.  I think it's pretty.  berkeley you.

My lights stay up for months. It's Minnesota. That stuff is so covered in snow and ice I can't get them down until spring. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/6/20 11:54 a.m.

I put these lights up about Thanksgiving and I leave them up until the end of daylight savings time.    My house is off the road and generally really dark back here.  These are then an easy way to add some light over the dark, winter months.  They are LED so I have them on a photo-eye to keep them on dusk till dawn.  Being white, they don't look as silly as a red wreath in Feb and March.  devil

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/20 12:20 p.m.
Stampie said:
AngryCorvair said:

I don't get the hate over people leaving their lights up.

Inflatable and other large displays?  Sure thats slightly lazy at times, but its their yard so STFU.

We just took our holiday stuff down and we still have the Holiday wreath on the door because its not quite spring yet so the spring wreath is a bit early.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
2/6/20 12:47 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Ah man that sucks. It was slippery last night and this morning. Not enough snow to trigger all the plows and ice melter trucks so there is little consistency in road surface conditions. In Ann Arbor I exited a clean freeway onto a clean exit ramp and right at the bottom of the ramp there is a sweeping turn and mid turn there is a  sharp end to the clean road.

Slush and snow mix to drift through. The Lexus behind me went all the way into the shoulder. 

AngryCorvair
2/6/20 12:53 p.m.

Inner tie rod end has seen better days:

and the ITRE smacked that beautiful new LCA so I'm gonna insist on a replacement for that as well.

rockauto shows ITRE is less than $20:

and local JYs have rims around $50:

So I'm probably going to take the money and run.  I can't imagine this taking more than a day to make right, once the parts arrive.

AngryCorvair
2/6/20 2:04 p.m.
Stampie said:
AngryCorvair said:

I'm glad *someone* notices.

Fueled by Caffeine
2/6/20 3:09 p.m.

Do the sliding doors open all the way?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/6/20 3:14 p.m.

Don't forget to buy the inner tie rod end tool if you don't have one. It makes a tough job just a little easier.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/6/20 6:17 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Being white, they don't look as silly as a red wreath in Feb and March.  devil

People who put up white lights have no soul and might as well just point searchlights at their house instead of making fun of red lights that don't ruin your night vision. laugh

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/6/20 6:19 p.m.

AC- glad nobody was hurt in either mishap with the van.

Even though it is supposed to bend like that, if the tie rod bent that much, I'd be concerned with how much force made it through to other components. Like you said, it looks like the LCA stopped the bending from going any further, so the LCA took a good hit itself.

AngryCorvair
2/6/20 6:23 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Yes, no issues with that.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
2/7/20 8:31 a.m.

The only issue with taking the monies is that if there's anything you find "while you are in there" it's much harder to justify payout as a DIYer than through a shop. 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
2/7/20 8:47 a.m.

That will probably total that van. It has damage on three panels, needs a wheel and tire, suspension work, alignment, etc. I wouldn't touch it and just try to get it totalled.

Also, loose lug nuts have... a sound. And i know it. blush

Fueled by Caffeine
2/7/20 8:51 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Yes, no issues with that.

good.. cause if no.. that's a big problem.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mUXn2hggd9Do8BVlfir0ceqtsK7UtA7m61dDqZM76DOfcJNn2ml3dqtqgx5WeSpQ