1 2
ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/18/21 8:52 a.m.

This is my first build thread, ever. 

My partner, Heather,  has been an active HPDE participant over the last six years.  During that time, she's mostly driven my NA Miata.  We've been looking for something different for the last year or so.  The lockdowns have me needing a new project to play with, and most of our HPDE events are a two plus hour drive away.  A bit more "modern" makes sense. 

An E46 M3 almost came to pass, but I was outbid (and with the prices on the rise, I think I am likely out of that scene now.  Heather has always wanted a Mustang, and some research directed us to a 2011+ V6 Mustang.  You know about the Cyclone, right?  300 hp, almost 300 ft/lbs of torque, in a lighter car?  If not, now you do.

We found one locally.  A 2011, with 75k on it (125k, in metric).  Six speed, premium package.  I am unsure if it has the performance package -- it does have a 3.31 rear, and a strut bar.  All 2011+ apparently came with a clutch-type 8.8 rear, too.  I've learned that the V6 cars share the same brake caliper as the V8 cars, though the rotor is smaller. 

The car as delivered.  Note the aggressively large wheels -- 255/40/19 Champiro GTs on 19 x 8.5 STR wheels.  They are coming off the car as part of the build -- planning to run a square 18 set up.

Note the "mesh grill", too.  That's another area of need.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
4/18/21 8:57 a.m.

A few thoughts on Mustang ownership.  First, black Mustangs seem to get a lot of attention.  More so than my M2 . . . or maybe it's because Heather is much prettier than I am.

Second, this is a really great car.  It seems to have a few aftermarket things -- an "Air Raid" intake (it's loud, but not obnoxious), and some sort of Ford Performance exhaust (more burbly than loud). 

Third, the Shaker 500 sound system sucks compared to the Fender unit in our GTI, or the Harmonn Kardon in the M2.  But it is much better than the "system" in the Miata :).

Fourth, the stock suspension is more capable than I expected.  It is soft, and the weight transfer is noticeable, but the car can hustle.  The brakes are powerful, though they need a bleed.

Finally, it's a strange car to drive, power delivery wise.  The Miata is all about using all of the rev range.  The M2 and the GTI have torque from idle (I love turbo cars).  The Mustang has torque, but higher in the rev range than the turbo cars.  It doesn't love to be "wound out" like the Miata.

Our first mod was restoring the Pony (Heather is also a Pirelli-trained rider, so it seems appropos):

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
4/18/21 9:10 a.m.

Our next order of business was to find alternative 18 inch wheels to replace the 19s.  Not surprisingly, everything I like is back-ordered (looking at you, Apex).  But, Mustang parts are plentiful, and there were lots of OEM options that fit our needs, and are budget friendly.

I managed to find these for $400 CDN, delivered.  They are 18 x 8.5 wheels from a GT.  To me, they evoke memories of the classic Fuchs wheel I love so much.  Performance tires are also hard to get in Canada right now, but we were able to secure a set of Firehwawk Indy 500s.  We went with the OEM GT size: 235/50/18.  The goal is reliable and fun on the track . . . not outright lap times.

Currently looking at options for brake pads -- thinking Hawk DTC 30s.  Will be bleeding the brakes with Motul RBF 660.  We have a Maximum Motorsports "Grip Box" package on order (but, like everything else, it is on back-order).

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/21 9:10 a.m.

In reply to ZOO (Forum Supporter) :

Cool car. And bigger front brakes are just a caliper bracket and rotor away.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
4/18/21 9:20 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I was reading that the other day.  Lots of folks upgrade to the Brembo package, which leaves plenty of GT brackets kicking around. 

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
4/18/21 11:55 a.m.

New wheels and tires are on.  Bonus shot of my son's Turbo NB build, and my stepson's Fiesta ST build.  Yes, we need more driveway and garage.  Fortunately my neighbour is also a car guy, and seems quite forgiving.  So much so he's shared his driveway at times.

Tires are Indy 500s: 235/50/18

Car needs some sort of finishing element on the front bumper.  Nothing too dramatic.

MazdaFace (Forum Supporter)
MazdaFace (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/18/21 3:14 p.m.

Looks awesome so far! I think that v6 was definitely under rated by most folks. I agree it needs something on the front. Some sort of small lip or splitter would be perfect

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/18/21 3:36 p.m.

I think that's a very under appreciated car.  I'd definitely own one. 

Be sure to educate yourself about the driveshaft in the V6. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/18/21 7:10 p.m.

Hawk's discontinued Street/Track pads used the DTC-30 compound and that is what I ran on my car for the first two seasons tracking it. They stood up for me no problem at Toronto Motorsports Park on the E28. They also worked fine on the street from cold, sometimes you'd get some squealing but that usually meant they hadn't been used hard in a while (a quick bed would quiet them down)  and obviously lots of the the Hawk dust but those wheels look easy to clean if you leave them on.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
4/19/21 6:14 a.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Easy to clean was one of the parameters for the wheels.  I love white cars, but I hate cleaning the rubber streaks from a track day.  The black is brutal to keep clean, but will hide the rubber :)

I'll see what I can find for Hawks . . .

adam525i
4/19/21 7:31 a.m.

Another option worth considering is the Powerstop Track Day pads, I've moved to those and I know my instructor last year with the Trillium club was also running them. They feel very similar to the Hawks I've ran (HP+, Track/Street) for a decent amount less. Looks like Rock Auto has them for $190 CAD front and rear plus shipping (don't forget your 5% off code too). I'd see what others Mustang owners are saying about them if you can though for some more specific feedback.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
4/19/21 8:51 a.m.

In reply to adam525i :

I think you mean the Powersto Track Day Spec pads. The regular Track Day pads are nothing more than an aggressive street pad and will wear super quickly/chunk apart under track conditions. A friend used the regular Track Day pads on a 350z and they melted after a weekend. I went with the Track Day Spec pads on my E36 and they are a slight step up from Hawk HP+'s and will last a season.

adam525i
4/19/21 9:06 a.m.

In reply to MINIzguy :

I just put a set of the Spec pads on my car (same pads as an E36/E46 M3) but haven't had a chance to run them on a track yet. The non spec version held up fine for me though on a track that is hard on brakes but that is with my car and my setup. At some point I will go to stickier tires though and that will result in wanting more brake, hence the upgrade this time around (and they aren't much more money either). That's why I'd be doing some Mustang specific research to see if these cars are hard on the brakes or not and going from there. It's never a bad idea to go with more than needed though and not have to think about whether they will stand up or not, this will give room to grow when the Indy 500's get replaced with a 200 tw or beyond tire too. 

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
4/19/21 11:03 a.m.

I don't see a "Track Day Spec" pad -- just a "Track Day" pad. 

Boo.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
5/23/21 7:15 a.m.

What's in the boxes?

A Maximum Motorsports "Grip Box" package with a lower control arm relocation kit . . . Install to follow.

A few notes after 1500k with the car.  It's much better in stock form than I expected.  A bit "soft", but it can be hustled if you manage the weight.  And it gets terrific gas mileage on the highway (7l/100 km or 30 mpg or so).  All of our tracks have been closed due to the third wave -- I was hoping for a track event on the stock suspension as a baseline.  But that may not happen.

adam525i
5/23/21 8:15 a.m.

Toronto Motorsports Park opened for "Recreational Open Lapping" this weekend but I'm not really sure how they can justify that as an essential activity lol. If they get away with it though maybe Shannonville will open up as well after June 2 for you guys.

TMP started doing Wednesday afternoons last year so I'll be waiting a couple of weeks and then trying to hit one of those, in the past there's only been around 10 cars for those (and none of the riff raff that TMP is infamous for) so a lot of the time you have the track to yourself.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
5/23/21 9:45 a.m.

I haven't driven at TMP -- it never really seemed "worth" the drive.  The good news is that Shannonville should be open soon . . .

adam525i
5/23/21 5:08 p.m.

It's a great little track that is perfect to learn on and push yourself, I'm glad it's there to shake down the car before dropping $1000 on a weekend at Mosport. The open lapping format they use has it's good points (lots of track time if you want it, learning to deal with traffic, dealing with emotions while dealing with traffic lol, no set sessions so you can just pull off for whatever reason) and the bads (traffic sometimes, differing ability levels and lack of etiquette). I agree though, I wouldn't make the drive from where you are unless you are trying to win an OTA or CSCS trophy (and I personally wouldn't spend the extra money to be on that track with them over an evening of lapping).

I'm hoping to make it back to Shannonville this year though but the drive is a long one from here for me.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
5/24/21 3:41 p.m.

If at all possible you should really get at least a 275 tire under that car.  These are really heavy cars and need ALL the help they can get.  305 or 315 are the go-to track tire setup.  235's are going to feel like ice skates.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
5/24/21 6:00 p.m.
Patientzero said:

If at all possible you should really get at least a 275 tire under that car.  These are really heavy cars and need ALL the help they can get.  305 or 315 are the go-to track tire setup.  235's are going to feel like ice skates.

That will be a future upgrade . . . I am deliberately keeping it on the low-end of grip right now.   We aren't chasing lap times, and we are following a budget (boring, right?).

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
5/24/21 7:14 p.m.

Look at my budget track beater thread if you haven't.  v6 S197 + budget + track car

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
5/25/21 11:11 a.m.
Patientzero said:

Look at my budget track beater thread if you haven't.  v6 S197 + budget + track car

I've been enjoying your build thread. 

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
6/7/21 7:18 a.m.

I tackled the front suspension today.  It went smoothly, with only a few hiccups.  First, I didn't have the right spring compressor -- but fortunately my friend saved the day.  That added time to the job.  Second, the strut bar doesn't work because the Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates have another nut coming through the strut tower and the bar doesn't accommodate that.  But, no worries, a sawzall will likely solve that.  Third, and the most frustrating, Ford uses miserable fasteners to attach the sway bars.  They are held captive in a bracket, and if (when) they brake loose it is challenging to get any tool on the end to tighten them.  Worse, I managed to incorrectly orient the sway bar, and had to do it a second time. 

The Maximum Motorsports stuff is lovely -- and the instructions are thoughtful and clear.  They suggested 5 hours for the home mechanic, and that estimate was pretty accurate.  I could have "beat" that had I not had such trouble with the sway bars (foreshadowing my next update, when I talk about the rear).

The camber/caster plates:

The Koni struts, Eibach springs, and Eibach front bar:

And a quick pick of the car back on the ground -- maxed out caster and camber . . .  obviously will need an alignment when the rears are done:

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/21 7:31 a.m.
ZOO (Forum Supporter) said:(Heather is also a Pirelli-trained rider, so it seems appropos):

That's basically autocross on a horse, right? I am super-impressed with barrel racers, I struggle to get my car to obey me let alone a horse.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
6/7/21 7:35 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:
ZOO (Forum Supporter) said:(Heather is also a Pirelli-trained rider, so it seems appropos):

That's basically autocross on a horse, right? I am super-impressed with barrel racers, I struggle to get my car to obey me let alone a horse.

More or less :)

I hate riding.  No brakes . . . and falling off scares me more than hitting a tire wall.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FPVMhKxHVFfNG0toJgaCAUmfKu2QPeMxNVIHZBlYLr058nWuIJkLKOOEqRvb0spO