1 2 3
BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
11/12/22 6:25 p.m.

Awesome!

Add me to the list of people who went off to look at cop cars up for auction after reading.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
11/12/22 8:05 p.m.

This photo needs to be here as well. Very impressive build all around. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/12/22 8:23 p.m.
rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/12/22 9:24 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

What wanted to do was kart the Taurus.  The girls said no way.  They were scared of driving an open kart and after seeing Kyle crash his, they are most definitely not going to do a kart. I, on the other hand would love to see how an ecoboost Kart rips at only 1,500-2,000 lbs.  I'm betting it would run in the 10's.     

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/12/22 9:54 p.m.

In reply to rich911s :

Ironic that the 16 yr olds were the voice of reason on your team! 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/22 12:58 p.m.

Me getting a couple laps in this car on the FIRM before the cooling system was overwhelmed...I could've braked a lot later but this was my first drive in the car. Cornering and braking are quite good, on the autocross course it might've appeared weak in those areas, but I think the way it kickdown-shifts and punches out of corners just makes it look like a straight line gunner laugh

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/14/22 12:48 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

Oh Damn.  Great shape, low mileage, COPCAR for $7K??? That'd make a great dadmobile dd.  

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/14/22 12:57 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Man, you were realing 'em in!  I think everyone that drove it was a bit timid in the esses, after several laps I could pound through them right over the top of the curbs with no braking, just lift off throttle.  Never once got upset or sketchy... such a tank.  I hope we get the overheating fixed with the exhaust, thermostat, and lower fan settings. I'm going to try and finish my Porsche 911 and bring it to the Firm instead of the girls Taurus, but if I don't, at least I'll have a decent backup.        

Go_Gators (Forum Supporter)
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/15/22 7:21 a.m.

Glad to see yall put a build thread up. Hopefully it encourages others to get their daughters involved.... mine are still ~5-6 years out... 

Appreciate you giving me the keys for a few runs, its drastically different than anything i have previously autorcrossed (though i have the same motor in my tow vehicle!)... I bet a crappy race seat would have netted a second on the autocross course!  More fun than driving was enlightening your daughter on how capable the car can be when you look for the edge!  Sharing the sport with the next generation is where its at....

You are right... this drivetrain would make a fun kart platform... unibody would deter me though... i think the drivetrain would be better off utilized on a full tube chassis build... 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/15/22 9:29 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Me getting a couple laps in this car on the FIRM before the cooling system was overwhelmed...I could've braked a lot later but this was my first drive in the car. Cornering and braking are quite good, on the autocross course it might've appeared weak in those areas, but I think the way it kickdown-shifts and punches out of corners just makes it look like a straight line gunner laugh

Which car was ahead of you? 

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
11/15/22 9:56 a.m.

When you ran 12s at the strip, was that with all the seats in?   Looks like there was a passenger?

Lots of meat left on the bone!

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/15/22 11:29 a.m.

I've wondered how well these would do...

Very cool, the livery looks really nice too. Breaks it up and makes it look mean. Thanks for sharing!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/22 4:32 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

That was pimpm3's BRZ.

Bigben
Bigben HalfDork
11/16/22 1:31 a.m.

In reply to rich911s :

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I gotta ask: What was your purchase price for the Taurus? 

(I didn't realize those cruisers came with an EcoBoost or AWD.  That sure beats the Taurus rental car I drove on a college trip.)

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/16/22 8:37 p.m.

In reply to onemanarmy :

All the seats, (power drivers) were present along with the passenger!  We also had a kicking stereo and ice cold AC.  No ABS, No Stability control, a Check Engine Light, and Air Bag light were all shining bright though!  There are still some electrical gremlins from the rats, but it ran like a scalded beast.     

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/16/22 8:50 p.m.

In reply to Bigben :

Here's the girls budget sheet, they have a little bit left in recoup and some $ left over to try and make this thing go faster.  However, I think they are going to spend most of it on a new livery!  The tune comes with free adjustments for life, we're going to try and squeeze some more out of it.  We'll see if it blows up or not, it's currently pushing 15.8 lbs of boost on E30.  The problem with the ecoboost motors is that they run a high pressure direct injection fuel system, and the stock high pressure fuel pump can only provide so much fuel.  There are aftermarket high pressure pumps, but they are massive $$ and NOT in the budget.  When you try to up the boost with E50 or E85 you need much more fuel and at some point the pump runs out of juice.  I've been thinking of tapping the manifold and installing a secondary EV1 injector(s) driven by a boost switch, but not sure yet how best to blow it up.  Maybe a big dry shot of laughing gas...       

Bigben
Bigben HalfDork
11/17/22 12:05 a.m.

In reply to rich911s :

Thanks for the details. I'm impressed at what they fit in the budget and that tune is a steal. 

I see they have an extra $17.44 to spend on something else. The oil is exempt per the rules. 

• Fluids (including gasoline, oil and brake fluid). Nitrous oxide refills do not count toward the budget (however, the cost of the equipment that comes along with a nitrous setup does need to be added to the budget).

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/17/22 7:36 a.m.

In reply to rich911s :

What made up the recoup value?

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/17/22 8:11 a.m.

In reply to Bigben :

Good catch!  They'll be excited to have more budget $$.  The recoup came from the full set of wheels and tires (Goodyear Eagle Police Pursuit tires were almost new), and the police center console with laptop mount.  We also have the siren, front and rear lights, and behind the grille lights from the car... 

As far as the tune goes, 5 Star Tuning had a special for $99 email tunes.  If your needing a tune keep an eye out on Black Friday, maybe they'll run a special again, right now they are $140.     

The siren and lights should always be put into use during the autocross runs.   Just saying

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
11/25/22 10:30 a.m.

Every day I'm a bigger fan of my 3.5L Ecoboost. I've been wanting to see what they could do on a track. 

Great job!!

wae
wae PowerDork
11/25/22 11:06 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

It did okay on the track, I'd say:

Also: livery idea!

MuSTANK
MuSTANK Reader
11/25/22 1:13 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

MuSTANK
MuSTANK Reader
11/25/22 1:13 p.m.
MuSTANK said:
GameboyRMH said:

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
11/25/22 2:16 p.m.
wae said:

In reply to SV reX :

It did okay on the track, I'd say:

Also: livery idea!

Well...

I meant at MY kind of budget!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.