1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/23/21 7:08 p.m.

i still love seeing this waiting for me. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/24/21 7:57 a.m.

FOUND wheels/tires just have to find a way to get them from Springfield IL before noon on saturday. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/24/21 11:43 a.m.

Rotors, spark plugs and veloster intake will be here Friday. Previous owner found the second key and mailed it to me. Nice people. Just got off the phone with Porterfield Brakes (super nice people btw) and a set of R4S are in their way. Be here next week. Saturday morning headed to Springfield to get 7wheels wrapped in bfg rivals. 

man this thing is coming together!

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/24/21 1:58 p.m.

Is it an 'illness' if we all have it? Good luck on your latest build.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/26/21 7:19 p.m.

Got the first shipment of parts in. Rotors, plugs, intake. Taking the car to Illinois tomorrow to pick up 7 15x7" wheels wrapped in 205/50 rivals. Wife wanted me to make sure "all the parts are right"..... which led to this happening :

Air box out, part of the resonator assembly and installed the top half of the cool air intake. Maybe I can finally hear this thing. 

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/26/21 9:19 p.m.
bobzilla said:

Rotors, spark plugs and veloster intake will be here Friday. Previous owner found the second key and mailed it to me. Nice people. Just got off the phone with Porterfield Brakes (super nice people btw) and a set of R4S are in their way. Be here next week. Saturday morning headed to Springfield to get 7wheels wrapped in bfg rivals. 

Love love love Porterfield and the people there

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
3/27/21 1:04 p.m.

I want to drive one of these. All of your ranting and raving over the years is working on me Bob. :)

Is it just me, or does the engine sit unusually far in front of the front suspension?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/27/21 2:50 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

It actually doesn't. The I take pokes out forward but the actual engine leans back towards the firewall. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/27/21 2:52 p.m.

Picked up 7 15x7 wheels (4 sparco ff-1) wrapped in 205/50 bfg rivals. This thing grips. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/27/21 3:48 p.m.

Dang, that's not bad.  I still want to see it on a wider setup, but rules are rules 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/27/21 4:44 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I might eventually go to a 15x8 225/45 but for $50/wheel and tire how can I say no?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/30/21 5:00 p.m.

first of the bad news rolls in. The right front bearing has some play. the other 3 are fine. The rear tires were so chopped you could see the tread blocks at all different heights. Put them on the frint and wow... theyre bad. 

Not all of my new to me wheels are 15x7. there are a few 15x6.5. For the price I paid, I ain't mad. Probably use them this year, sell them off and buy a full set of 7.5's. but the car is still fun, I still love it and all that jazz still so it ain' all bad. I'm guessing the bearing is due to the sitting in Ohio for 18 months more than anything else. 

shagles
shagles Reader
3/30/21 8:31 p.m.

I can hear it begging for a new Corolla style hatch spoiler and some rally flaps. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/31/21 7:22 a.m.

In reply to shagles :

No. Just... no.

shagles
shagles Reader
3/31/21 7:41 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Haha just the first thought i had. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/2/21 1:05 p.m.
bobzilla said:

I think you'll like the R4S pads. I run them on my GTI. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/3/21 2:35 p.m.

Lots of work done in the last day. Last night I put it in stands and pulled the wheels. For sone odd reason the right side was much rustier than the left. Hell the right could have come off the ocean floor and I wouldn't have been surprised. 

wire brushed the rust off and hit them all with sone good ol' rustoleum. At least slow down the process. 

finally finished installing the intake last night. This is the first car I've put an intake on that the intake was actually secured solidly. So that's a thing. 

thisnis what came out of the left front corner. 205/50/15 on a sparco for size comparison. I don't know what sounds they were trying to suppress but I think it was all of them. 

I called it a night after that. This morning I installed the brakes, and bled the fluid. It's been recently changed because it was clear fluid that came out. 

moved on to the bearing on the right front and the dust shield was just too destroyed. Looking at the left side they put serious effort into it doing something so I called it and put it back together.

It's not in danger of falling off but I wanted it to be right for putting it on track. So I installed the crash bolts and fed it sone camber and finished off the brakes. 

fired it up, fed it a can of seafoam through the pcv hose. Let it set then bed the brakes and made a smoke show for the neighborhood. Let it cool down and changed plugs. 

done for this weekend. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/7/21 9:48 a.m.

Nothing exciting. Just got my perm plates and ordered tires for the 17's. This weekend changing the bearing and oil and trans fluid 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
4/7/21 10:06 a.m.

Man I still don't know about these Hyundais, Bob. There was less rust on my 40 year old Ford. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/7/21 10:10 a.m.

Now that I know a 15" wheel fits... how much suspension travel do these bad boys have?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/7/21 10:32 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

A bit. Front is normal macstrut length. Rears are less due to the shock length and placement n

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/7/21 10:32 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

So probably like 6"?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/7/21 10:33 a.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

Man I still don't know about these Hyundais, Bob. There was less rust on my 40 year old Ford. 

40 year old Ford that didn't live in the salt belt

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/7/21 10:54 a.m.

Never noticed that they inboard mount the rear shocks unlike other cars with torsion beams. Wonder why that is...

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/7/21 10:55 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Iirc the forte I had was around 4.5 in the rear and 6 up front

1 2 3 4 5 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u76joM9jen5scod1kFXiisAAw9S02L9OFtgzvTvBN7JbqWdzAL6bf3xgdT2SB15q