1 ... 7 8 9 10
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/22 12:18 p.m.

In reply to mxandcx5 :

I have both one of the baffle plates that fit between the block and sump (IIRC it's a Greddy, I'll have to look at the pile of invoices I have for this car) and the Killer-B oil pickup. I was looking into an actual baffled sump, but as usual, there were supply chain issues so I'm hoping the baffle plate higher up will help.

BoxheadTim
4/20/22 6:30 p.m.

And this berkeleying thing is making funny noises again - something is grinding on the engine. It changes with rpm, too, and seems to come from the driver's side of the engine. I initially suspected the water pump but the noise is coming from further back, roughly in the middle of the block.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/22 7:04 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Engine swap time!

BoxheadTim
4/20/22 7:21 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

It's just *had* an engine swap. I'm not paying for another one, not even a V8 one...

(Sorry, having a bit of a sense of humor failure atm)

BoxheadTim
5/3/22 8:51 a.m.

Took it to Summit Point on Sunday. Good news, it didn't lunch another engine. Bad news, I'm still the mobile chicane in my run group. Nothing new on the latter, it's been like that just about forever.

Looks like I have some more work to do on the car though, the exhaust got a lot louder towards the end of the day and it can't all be the mouse nests and cobwebs I blew out of it. I'm hoping it'll just need some connections retightened and some V-bands reclamped as I specifically picked that exhaust combo for its low drone and relatively civilised noise levels. I also have to check on the front brake calipers - the front right brake seemed to get hotter than the left, so maybe I should've bought new calipers from Subaru instead of parts store remans.

Ah yes, and regarding that funny noise - it sounds like a bearing type noise and it's now more audible from inside the cabin, at least at idle. And it goes away when I disengage the clutch...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
5/3/22 8:55 a.m.

I am yet to sit in one of these where you can't hear the throwout bearing, that's probably your noise.

BoxheadTim
5/3/22 8:59 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Yeah, I do suspect it is the throw out bearing - which only has a few hundred miles on it since we changed out the clutch, clutch fork and release bearing when swapping the engine. I don't recall it being that loud on the old clutch though, and it seems to get noisier.

I guess if it gets really noisy I'll pay someone to pull the transmission and replace the bearing again, but I'm still a tad surprised by this.

BoxheadTim
6/4/22 6:46 p.m.

I just can't catch a berkeleying break with this car. Weekend event at Summit Point Shenandoah, which is where I blew the engine last year.

Had a great instructor and found a lot more speed, but after pulling off the track at the end of the first session, the front right brake was smoking, too hot to touch and generally not happy. Quick diagnosis suggests a partially seized front caliper. Nobody in the area has any front calipers in stock, including the Subaru dealers and the usual parts slingers so there goes the weekend.

Limping it home was OK, but it was pretty obvious that the parts store reman caliper is going to take up permanent residence in the bin. Guess I'll get new calipers from Subaru and get to put new rotors and pads on, too.

Did I mention that I just flushed the brake fluid with fresh Castrol unicorn tears because this organizer insists on having brake fluid that's been changed in the last 90/180 days?

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
6/4/22 7:30 p.m.

Without bad luck I don't think you would have any Tim.  Such a bummer. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
6/5/22 8:34 a.m.
Sonic said:

Without bad luck I don't think you would have any Tim.  Such a bummer. 

I'll second this motion.

BoxheadTim
6/5/22 11:22 a.m.

Thanks!

I'm rather annoyed by this obviously, especially with all the work and money that's gone into this car. But I guess absent a convenient cliff to push it off of, I'll fix the brakes and then put it up for sale. I've pretty much had it with this car right now - it's basically cost me last year's track season and the extra work I ended up having to put into this car delayed some efforts on my Elise. The part I don't get is why absolutely nobody seems to have brake parts for these in stock other than cheap rotors and pads. It was the same the first time around that I had to replace the calipers.

OTOH, I guess the good news is that it should permanently cure me from having any ideas of buying another Subaru, so there is that.

BoxheadTim
6/8/22 8:53 a.m.

Managed to pull off the brake caliper last night. Felt like it was under a lot of tension so clearly the pistons didn't fully retract. Brake pad looks well cooked, so I guess I'll be looking at new pads and potentially new rotors if I want to take it on the track again.

Hopefully should be able to swap out the caliper in the next couple of days. The replacement reman caliper has already arrived from RockAuto (with fridge magnet this time, yeah), I'm just waiting for a fresh bottle of Unicorn Tears (because guess who just flushed his brake fluid with Castrol SRF just before the DE day?).

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/8/22 10:38 a.m.

Just dump this thing.  Sell it to Carvana/CarMax, wherever.  You've got the Elise and the 997, why keep this?

BoxheadTim
6/8/22 10:51 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Because I don't have the 997 yet, it'll be another 3-4 weeks until I can pick it up.

I also don't like selling cars that don't quite work.

BoxheadTim
6/8/22 1:13 p.m.

That said, you are right and I am planning to get rid of it as soon as I feasibly can.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/9/22 8:45 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Warranty exchange the caliper, don't do anything else to the car.  Shop it to carvana, etc and just dump it.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/9/22 8:46 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Warranty exchange the caliper, don't do anything else to it.  Shop it to all the online car places and just sell it.

BoxheadTim
6/10/22 4:54 p.m.

Well, the replacement caliper showed up a couple of days ago (couldn't do warranty exchange as the original vendor was showing out of stock, and I urgently need the car on Sunday).

Tried to fit the caliper yesterday, sliders wouldn't go fully home. So I pulled them out, noticed that the grease looks 'gritty'. Not sure if the holes the sliders go in weren't properly cleaned, but they are now. And of course I seem to have run out of brake caliper grease.

I'm pretty sure that by now the universe is just pointing and laughing at me.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
6/10/22 6:28 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Or sell it yourself and not waste thousands of dollars. It's not that hard to sell a car right now. 

BoxheadTim
6/10/22 8:33 p.m.

KBB thinks that mine is worth about $7k. That's ... not great. And less than the engine replacement cost me.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
6/10/22 10:04 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

I don't think KBB is completely accurate with the current market. Was just pointing out the difference with the same car from carvana or selling it yourself. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/11/22 9:50 a.m.

Definitely depends on the algorithm Carvana, etc. are using. If it's an especially popular model (or they need inventory), they're willing to pay a bit more. It definitely pays to shop around.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/11/22 11:13 a.m.

In reply to lnlogauge :

I used to always sell the cars myself.  Lately I've been trading them in after shopping them to Carvana etc to get the highest price.

that worked out really well for my golf r, I tried to sell it privately first with all the tasty parts on it.  Basically no interest at all, no one seemed to recognize the deal I was offering.

so I converted it back to stock, traded it in for almost what I was asking for it, got $3k in tax benefits and then sold all my parts for another $6k.  I ended up making at least $5-6k more than if I'd sold it privately.

also had the benefit of not having to waste my time with tire kickers, low ballers or kooky people.

mxandcx5
mxandcx5 New Reader
6/15/22 1:23 p.m.

Another vote for dumping it once it is operating properly. I have been watching this thread closely and I am in the same boat (car?). Once I ensure my replacement engine has no issues and is broken in I will be listing mine too.

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
6/15/22 9:51 p.m.

So it wasn't This car it was all the cars of this same model....replacing the engine was a good litmus test for all of the rest of us idly looking on FB marketplace. Thanks for pursuing this to its logical end...

1 ... 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S5CKOyMN0ImAiBdkUngd9iF8EWtHKhz6ugsmXAsyCAPUyd891v6FmjZJN32QyA6U