1 2 3 4
bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/2/22 7:28 p.m.

And to be honest. It ain't half bad. Eating dinner with the fam after the purchase. So it's still sinking in.  Stay tuned!

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/2/22 8:38 p.m.

Ah, yes, the Opel Insignia. That's actually a pretty capable chassis.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/2/22 8:42 p.m.

I had one as a rental out in Utah. It was pretty fun on the looong roads in the middle of mowhere. 

bonylad
5/3/22 8:17 a.m.

First impressions.

Its really nice to have a car thats got things most people have, and I have not for some time.  By choice or intent, sometimes by design.  Will I say the heated seat back and bottoms are nice? Will I say the stereo beats? Will I say its quiet? Will I say its got plenty of power.....but may need a dash more?

YES!

Really nice to cruise and not wonder what that rattle was, or reach over and have to the HVAC. Nice to get MPG's in the decent side of good. 

I will post some more pics and update soon.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
5/3/22 8:36 a.m.

Looking forward to seeing a GRM'er do a long term ownership/maintenance log with one of these. I always forget they made them! 

bonylad
5/3/22 11:50 a.m.

Well. So far as track record goes. I don't know if long term is a thing. Though at least for a couple years!  

bonylad
5/3/22 11:52 a.m.

I intend to low key mod it. Ordered a drop in air filter. As the stock intake is great and fwik if you change too much the car doesn't like it unless tuned for it. So a loss of power otherwise. Nope. I am going to clean under hood and order a ZZP sit intake hose replacement. Cause it looks cool and maybe I can gain a little hp and noise. Exhaust. Idk. Maybe a resonator delete.  

bonylad
5/3/22 11:52 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

So far. It's damn solid. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/3/22 12:40 p.m.

Is that one of those stick shift Buicks?

whst does the "T" add?

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/3/22 2:26 p.m.

Following with interest, a GS is still very much in my mind to get.

bonylad
5/3/22 3:28 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Hell if I know. Turbo I imagine. It does have a manual shift mode.  Pretty sweet!

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
5/3/22 3:57 p.m.

Is this the same platform as the Buick Regal TourX? I like the look of those and sometimes ponder buying one as the family steed. I'm eager to follow along with your ownership of this one. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
5/3/22 4:13 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

This is the previous generation, the sedan version of the  TourX is the Regal Sportback, and both started in 2018 (I believe). I absolutely loved the TourX I drove in 2019, just wasn't the right time to get me a newer car. It was dang nice.

I'm also excited to follow this thread, these cars aren't bad looking or terribly expensive..

bonylad
5/3/22 4:23 p.m.

First round of mods. Well. Maintenance. Which I always prefer to do before I ass up a car because I didn't do it. 

1.  Fairly sure the wrong grade of fuel has been used. Will fix that today. Premium is recommended. Not required. Sure we know what that means. 

2.  Fresh spark plugs and a revised PCV valve. Apparently they revised the valve due to fuel saturation of the oil. So picked up that and the plugs. 

3.  I asked the shop foreman to check for updates. Found a couple. For the TCM and steering. Can't complain about the TCM cause any trans update is a good one IMO.

Next day or so I'll get some time and make that happen with the plugs and PCV valve.  

autocomman
autocomman Reader
5/4/22 3:42 a.m.

My daily is a 2019 tourX, I've got very few complaints, and they are in the infotainment and interior build quality departments, pretty typical for GM really. Aside from that 250hp 2.0 turbo, AWD, the AW 8 speed which honestly I like way more than the 9 speed.  On a cold day it's a 14sec car easily, some testers got into the high 13s with em.  It's pretty stupid how hard you can throw that 3700lb+ car around in it's stock form.

I like telling people I drive a Buick, most people don't even know what it is, they think it's a beemer or Audi or something.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/22 10:29 a.m.

I am always impressed at the seats in the Regal GS that Detective Gordon drives on Magnum PI. 

bonylad
5/4/22 12:03 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

Nope that cool here. Though damn comfy! Plus IIRC thats the newer 3.6 V6 version.......dope.

bonylad
5/6/22 5:01 p.m.

Some sorta update. I decided a tune may come, but not right now.  Maintenance is more important. That being said.  

I replaced the PCV valve, cleaned the MAF.  Also added some injection cleaner.  

Just got done replacing the transmission fluid here @ work.  Had a chance to look at it on a lift and she is in great shape!

I am picking up both intake and exhaust cam solenoids to replace now, before they go bad. Regardless, I have read that they can slowly fail and cause issues. Not sure if I have any.....though sometimes I feel a little hesitation.

Ordered a GFB DV+ to correct any possible issues with the bypass valve. Same as on the MK5 GTI I had. They can leak and cause poor boost. I dont have a boost gauge to know if I have an issue. Im inclined to say not as I have no codes or performance issues.  Either way, it will help to keep what I have as the GFB seals better the more boost is applied. 

Spark plugs to be replaced perhaps tomorrow.  After that? Good cleaning and engine bay scrubbing.

bonylad
5/7/22 7:12 a.m.

Replaced the spark plugs. Fun fact. The LTG 2.0 as this is called requires plugs to be changed every 60k. I'm at 90k. Pretty sure these were the original plugs. You can zoom in and see the iridium worn down. 

Nice car, best of luck with it.  There's something about a relaxed ride that can hike up it's skirt and have a fun run.

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
5/7/22 9:36 a.m.

Is this the 2.4 ecotech?

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
5/7/22 11:14 a.m.

They are pretty fun rides.   They smoke the tires into third which is fun.  

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
5/7/22 11:25 a.m.

In reply to Gambit :

No, it's the 2.0L turbo LTG, I think it's technically a generation after ecotec..

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
5/7/22 12:07 p.m.

So it is at least related to the ones I've taken apart. The Cruze 2.0s are just kinda worse

I'm sure you're aware of the stretchy timing chains and bendy guides

They don't seem like half bad motors when they're taken care of

bonylad
5/7/22 12:27 p.m.

In reply to Gambit :

No sir. It's a 2.0 LTG turbo. 260 hp and 300 torque. Rounded up. Iirc is exactly 259 hp and 295 torque. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hgnl00kZrk2bxbP3GHefFit2ygRE10hUZHPKYAvccaFneF0HxzaKHQLJXYEuBD59