1 2 3 4
bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/7/22 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Gambit :

Not sure. The only 2.0 in a cruze I know of is a diesel. The US got the 1.4 and 1.6 or 1.8. Iirc. From what I understand the Ltg had ringland issues that was supposedly corrected in 16. Beefier ringlands. 

bonylad
5/7/22 12:34 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

Yeah. Even in manual mode and with traction on it chirps the tires don't like it. Haven't turned traction off and launched in manual. 

bonylad
5/7/22 12:36 p.m.

As I didn't m plan to go to far. I did stumble in a deal for a K&N intake. Hadn't planned on it but sorta happened. Idk. Claims are 14hp. Soooooo I'm skeptical. 

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
5/7/22 1:18 p.m.

In reply to bonylad :

Yup 1.8, I couldn't remember off the top of my head.. I've spent the past 3 months doing nothing but LSs so it slipped my mind

bonylad
5/7/22 5:36 p.m.

In reply to Gambit :

No worries!

bonylad
5/8/22 2:45 p.m.

In effort of removing superfluous material no longer needed. Today I pulled the bumper to remove the air duct. My scan tool didn't show it doin too much and it's dead weight with an intake. As is right now the airbox draws air from a sealed pass through into the fender. So. It's gonna be fine and if the intake isn't what I want. I have a fall back. As is with it removed I've read you get more intake noise and better throttle response. 

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
5/9/22 1:17 p.m.
bonylad said:

In effort of removing superfluous material no longer needed. Today I pulled the bumper to remove the air duct. My scan tool didn't show it doin too much and it's dead weight with an intake. As is right now the airbox draws air from a sealed pass through into the fender. So. It's gonna be fine and if the intake isn't what I want. I have a fall back. As is with it removed I've read you get more intake noise and better throttle response. 

Damn!! That is a long piece of nothing... 

Sgt_Sizzle
Sgt_Sizzle New Reader
5/9/22 1:29 p.m.

Love a good intake delete. I need to replace the turbo oil pressure hose on my Legacy, which means taking the intake manifold off thus exposing the intake track to the turbo..... I'm fighting the 'while I'm in theres' for budgets sake. This thing is neat, I'm not sure what the equivalent would be on my side of the border. 

bonylad
5/9/22 3:40 p.m.

In reply to Sgt_Sizzle :

Well that is the best part!  Scope Creep I think its called. I didn't have to do all the things I have done at this point. Though being in my position (SM at a GM dealer, I have seen these issues cause breakdowns and issues at the most inopportune time.....since I have the ability to do them and get parts), I figured why not?  A little bit of PM never hurt.

I say do it.  That issue with your oil line can cause larger issues if ignored (as you know) and will be a rewarding fix/improve the vehicle opportunity.

bonylad
5/9/22 7:44 p.m.

Found some debris. Very minor on the screens for the cam solenoids.  Replaced both intake and exhaust.  Butta.

I cleared all the fuel adapts and what not to give the car a clean slate. 

Further, I installed the GFB DV+.

Pics are hard to see, but it's installed and fits perfectly!

Looking at a house as we may be moving. AGAIN........as such I can't speak to how she drives. I will update after taking the kiddo to school in the morning. 

bonylad
5/10/22 8:21 a.m.

Well, I dont know if its a combination of the cooler air, the new solenoids or the GFB.  This morning she pulled harder and kept the pull all the way to redline! Very firm push in the seat and ran great. Perhaps it was a combination or the imaginary butt dyno? Either way, I am fairly certain the boost hits and holds better than it did.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/10/22 9:05 a.m.

Nice. I had a GFB DV+ on my Fiat 124 Spider. They say it doesn't actually increase peak boost, but the stock ones are prone to bleeding boost inconsistently, so it's more of an "area under the curve" sort of improvement. I think it made a big difference. 

bonylad
5/10/22 1:18 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

I agree. It's not something that gains hp per se. More of a keeps what's there or fixes what may have been lost by a leaking unit. It surely does seem to hold the power better and longer. I'm not sure the average Buick owner would be minding the power curve of the engine. I sure am. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/22 1:34 p.m.

Oh, this interests me.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/11/22 1:39 p.m.

In reply to Gambit :

That's a 1.4

I shopped these Regals when I was looking recently. Very nice cars and they did a great job with that 2.0, but after driving them, and they were very nice to drive,  I just thought they were too big and I didn't like the non-revvy nature of that motor.

bonylad
5/12/22 8:15 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Yes, it takes some getting used to. The engine isnt as happy to rev as a K20 or K24; however, it does quite nicely once its freed up. A tune helps as well.  I have noticed some increase in response with the air duct removal. I am sure once the intake is installed I will see more.

Thanks!

bonylad
5/12/22 8:17 a.m.

Took the intake apart to clean it. As it was dirty from sitting. 

Don't believe I took after pics. Though here are the constituent pieces which needed attention. 

I think I can improve on this a little bit.  With the duct out of the way, I have a straight shot into the fender well.  The pipe roughly sits where a 45 or 90 coupler would place the filter in the well.  Will require further investigation.  

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/12/22 8:19 a.m.

A tune will make a huge difference, they leave a lot on the table.

bonylad
5/12/22 9:41 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Stock with a trifecta tune which does both ecm and tcm it's 260 whp and 300 torque. May have to go with zzp if I keep the intake. 
Trifecta tune is for a dead stock vehicle.  An intake apparently changes that. 

bonylad
5/12/22 8:19 p.m.

Ya know?  I don't know. So far as looks. I like it. I need to clean under hood, but it looks nice?  I'm off put by several things. 

1.  The induction noise from the intake is something else. As it's auto, it's constant. Which can be a good thing?  You certainly hear all the turbo noises and the diverter valve for sure. But is it too much?  Does it detract from the cars balance?  

2.  Power?  Well.  I think I feel a difference though that may be in my head. Throttle response is better for sure. Power......power.....mmm.... I'm not sure about that.  

3. While I feel this mod may be perfect for some. I feel its possible that it has taken the car to a place I never intended to go. A place of boy racer noises and excessive whooshing noises with no real gains?  

Have I just become the.....check out my intake guy? Or am I going to be the guy that misses the quiet whoosh and push in the seat?

bonylad
5/12/22 8:49 p.m.

Yeah. No. I put it back to stock. I think I will save up for a Trifecta tune. 260 to the wheels sounds nice and keeps it within the design of the car. Quiet. 

bonylad
5/15/22 7:09 p.m.

Today I had a chance to pressure wash the bay among the other targets around the house. 

Before. 

After. A casualty of the job was the underhood blanket. Which sucks.  I will have to pick up some reflective heat tape to slap on the hood over the turbo. 

bonylad
5/16/22 12:11 p.m.

So apparently one of the achilles heels of this engine is.......oil.  Something to do with low calcium (didnt know that was a thing) in the oil, its needed to prevent something call LSPI. Low speed pre ignition. LTG pistons and it being a GDI Turbo engine are prone to issues. Assuming you dont run the correct oil (DEXOS) and poor fuel (fixed that with premium). Short version, oil with low calcium needs to be in there.  Given the K&N oil filter (bleh) and the unknown type and quality of oil............

From document #17-NA-039

"General Motors has identified an issue with the use of certain oils in the 2.0L turbo engine (LTG) that could result in premature engine piston failure. When performing an oil change on the 2.0L turbo engine, it is required to use a low calcium oil, ACDelco Dexos1 Full Synthetic 5W-30.

If ACDelco Dexos1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 is not available, use Mobil1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 oil or Mobil1 Extended Performance 5W-30."

You know where this is going. Especially as I do intend to tune it. Plus other than the coolant, its the only thing I havent changed.......coolant. Coolant.....mmmm may do that to.

So she sits at the house cooling off with the hood open so I can get it drained when I get home and not burn myself.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/16/22 12:18 p.m.

No personal experience, but my friend's got a wagon, 2.0 turbo.  It's comfy, quick enough and sips gas.  Yours is the first story I've heard on the maintenence.  Curious how it ends.

bonylad
5/16/22 12:24 p.m.
914Driver said:

No personal experience, but my friend's got a wagon, 2.0 turbo.  It's comfy, quick enough and sips gas.  Yours is the first story I've heard on the maintenence.  Curious how it ends.

Well, hopefully. It doesnt? That would mean something was wrong with what I did or didnt do, and I have an issue as result. Being me. Id rather do all the things before hand to make sure I dont. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YoE0Glt402TnrNglXuStY2Qwv8l7DEWWRLxxQ4PYptuTIZPyJrAFondBcagxXa8J