1 2 3 4
peej410
peej410 New Reader
7/22/13 11:39 p.m.

So a recent friend/acquaintance from the local New Englad Hill Climber community suggested I share my build here because you all would appreciate it more than most.

I perused some threads and saw that story telling is the norm. Ill give you some background on what has transpired over the last decade before getting into the most recent delectable details.

Note: This project really guided my life for the last 12 years. It has not come without a lot of sacrifice and man hours.

In 2001 I was in college. I spent more time chasing girls and looking up car info than going to class. I was studying psychology and engineering trying to decide about my path in life.

I was a Nissan Fanboy and went to meets race other Nissan people in my Maxima after 5 transmissions I decided to hunt for what I always wanted. A 240z. So I sought one out. Traded one of my two Maximas for it. Figured out how to work on carbs. Got it running well. Took it to the local two lane black top and rear ended someone while staring at a pretty girl. All in 8 days time.

My world ended. I took some photos and brought them to the local welding shop knowing fair well I would be able to bribe him with the $1000 cash I had on me. (i sold everything I had worth anything at all to fix my car)

He basically shrugged me off and said go buy a grinder and a welder good luck.

So i did. I cut the frame rails out and made new ones. I shoddily repaired the inner fenders and rebuilt the front structure. Somehow a friend of mine convinced me it would be stupid to use the 240z motor... So I bought a junkyard V8 and began learning all the ins and outs of fabrication (slowly/painfully) I gutted the car (still not sure why) and realized the previous owner had glued the carpets down COMPLETELY. Some how I theorized that It would be easier to fabricate new floors with no tools at all. I returned to the same welder that laughed at me and asked for sheetmetal cut into specific sections and shapes so I could easily manipulate them. He offered me a job on the spot.

The next three years were spent learning (the right ways) to fabricate parts. I did some amazing projects and really broadened my horizons. Work slowed down around 2004 and I moved on to work for a local Porsche race car shop. I ignored my car a lot between 2004 and 2008, here come some of the photos.

IMG_2013 by peej410, on Flickr

IMG_1484s by peej410, on Flickr

IMG_1001 by peej410, on Flickr

In 2009 I bought a house. With a house I received this lovely incentive from the government of exactly $10,000. I spent $1k on the house. You know where the rest went. 40412_459979416349_711386349_6780097_6377658_n by peej410, on Flickr

Deets on it. Home built 354 chevy, Studded throughout, block fill, JE Pistons Eagle Featherweight rods. Scat crank. Ram Flywheel. Totalling 30lbs removed from rotating assembly. Custom solid roller cam Morel Pressure-fed lifters sucking air through AFR 195 Eliminators and maintained by titanium retainers 200lb springs and Jesel Rockers. NOM NOM.

So I drove it around broke in the motor then got on it hard in fourth gear and broke the rear suspension at 100mph or so (not sure I wasnt looking) You can hear it go into wheel hop at the top of third. This was before tuning it and admittedly only 370whp not the claimed 500 (that I thought it was at) Fast forward to 3:50 for the good stuff. http://youtu.be/0jKX5tITulk

Anyways. So I get a buddy to flat tow me home and I sit on a stack of wheels for my E36M3 and ponder how to fix a broken halfshaft, damaged diff, and bent body and suspension. My gf comes home, instantly knows I broke my car and asks me why I still have the ugly wheels on it. (you know cuz shes real sensitive)

Ugly wheels Untitled by peej410, on Flickr

So I had this sitting in my garage after my buddy parted out an E36M3 zm3 by peej410, on Flickr

I talked to a bunch of shops and had my suspicions reinforced that the 32mm hollow axles were extremely robust (800hp claimed) and the diff was good for at least 500hp.

SOO I had one of these laying around. Untitled by peej410, on Flickr

I took a bunch of measurements and before you know it, Datsun 240z rear Suspension by peej410, on Flickr Datsun 240z rear suspension weight by peej410, on Flickr

And E36 M3 rear suspension by peej410, on Flickr E36 M3 rear suspension weight by peej410, on Flickr

Admittedly I forgot to put the M3 brakes on there which adds quite a bit but you see where Im going with this. After many moons passed I had a plan.

Cut here. M3 floor minus subframe and rtab by peej410, on Flickr

Paste here. (yeah right) Untitled by peej410, on Flickr

So I set along making my own parts from scratch with the exception of the trailing arm pockets. So I made this thing, (black) photo 4 by peej410, on Flickr

And this thing, photo 3 by peej410, on Flickr photo 5 by peej410, on Flickr

And I made them poifect with this jig. photo 1 by peej410, on Flickr

Then I did this! Untitled by peej410, on Flickr BOOM 285 30 18

They fit nice, Untitled by peej410, on Flickr Untitled by peej410, on Flickr

Then I made some of these. Untitled by peej410, on Flickr

And put them here, Untitled by peej410, on Flickr

And some of these, Untitled by peej410, on Flickr

And put them here, Untitled by peej410, on Flickr

Then I did this cuz the old one was fugly. photo 2 by peej410, on Flickr image3 by peej410, on Flickr

Then I went to one of these, DSC_0338 by peej410, on Flickr DSC_0342 by peej410, on Flickr

The car was kind of hard to drive because of a reversion problem at low RPM. It made no power at all below 1500, It was hard to drive because it bogged. So I went and had this done, pjhptq by peej410, on Flickr And was dissapointed. But the technician said it was really weird that it pulled so hard right to 5200 (cam should run up to 7k) So I re-evaluated my supporting systems. Then got bored over the winter. And made these. Untitled by peej410, on Flickr These Untitled by peej410, on Flickr And this Untitled by peej410, on Flickr It looks like this Untitled by peej410, on Flickr

Untitled by peej410, on Flickr Hoping to get her ready for a track event tuesday :)

By the way, it sounds like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QlYpB2D6HQ

peej410
peej410 New Reader
7/22/13 11:41 p.m.

In reply to peej410:

I almost forgot, when I was done, before I even corner balanced it, I did this!

Untitled by peej410, on Flickr

Let me know what you all think. Its been a long decade with a lot of scraps burns and lessons.

nokincy
nokincy New Reader
7/22/13 11:47 p.m.

You've combined three of everyone here's favorite things. You can do no wrong with this car.

Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica New Reader
7/22/13 11:53 p.m.

Holy Moly! That's incredible.

I think you will fit in just fine around here.

peej410
peej410 New Reader
7/23/13 12:11 a.m.

Thanks guys! I went back and fixed the video links (they wouldnt show up before)

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
7/23/13 12:38 a.m.

Holy berkeleying E36 M3!

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
7/23/13 12:49 a.m.

Pfft, like we needed the 'lookie lookie'
Very cool.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/23/13 4:45 a.m.

I don't have the words to say how cool this is.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
7/23/13 5:54 a.m.

That's wicked awesome.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/23/13 7:23 a.m.

Outstanding!

That thing has to be brutal.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/23/13 7:57 a.m.

Welcome home.....GRM is where you belong. I'm not being silly, I really mean that. When you say...

peej410 wrote: Note: This project really guided my life for the last 12 years. It has not come without a lot of sacrifice and man hours.

...we understand what you mean. I have been struggling with my build for seven years, and it has consumed my life. The things you've made

remind me of the things I've made

GRMers understand the kind of struggle and effort that goes into making an awesome car like you have done.

peej410
peej410 New Reader
7/23/13 8:05 a.m.

Thanks it is definitely a lesson in sensory overload. Ill try to update later today with the T5 trans rebuild details and the hood venting I am working on.

peej410
peej410 New Reader
7/23/13 8:07 a.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

Its nice to know I finally have found an outlet for my insanity!

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/23/13 8:14 a.m.
peej410 wrote: In reply to JoeyM: Its nice to know I finally have found an outlet for my insanity!

oh yes, you found home.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/13 8:25 a.m.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
7/23/13 8:35 a.m.

Freakin' sweet!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/13 9:07 a.m.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
7/23/13 9:40 a.m.

i need a napkin....

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
7/23/13 9:42 a.m.

You had me at NOM NOM. (Actually, you had me when you were man enough to admit you rear-ended somebody while staring at a pretty girl.)

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
7/23/13 11:15 a.m.

Oh, and I'd rock those old ugly wheels.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
7/23/13 12:34 p.m.

Ya, you definitely belong here.

Ever go back to the dyno with the new headers?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/23/13 12:37 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:

+2

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
7/23/13 12:44 p.m.

See, told you these guys would love it.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
7/23/13 1:13 p.m.

Awesome! I'm also curious to see if you dynoed again with the new headers.

peej410
peej410 New Reader
7/23/13 1:20 p.m.

In reply to tpwalsh:

I only finished the headers a few weeks ago, I am trying to get the rest of the new parts (oil cooler, vented hood, less frightening wiring) done by Tuesday. It looks though that I wont be ready and I will have to wait till August 26th for my track debut. (which will give me the time I need to tune it)

One really un-anticipated side benefit with the new headers is that the vacuum signature at the carburetor is dead smooth now. Before it was all over the place, which means that I hopefully fixed my proposed reversion issue!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DhAdxaxApHG2wsAs3BKvx19YVq90ZzpmbQ9NZzWdulC2XBIuRQOKRp0pQcs08xYD