1 2 3 4
PHeller
PHeller UberDork
7/23/13 2:35 p.m.

Did you ever graduate with a degree? If so, which one? If not, what route did you take?

Makes me want to buy a router and a welder and get started on my Miata.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/23/13 3:02 p.m.

You win the internets for the day, congratulations!

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/23/13 3:07 p.m.

Nice work! Good to see some other 240Z's on here.

I had a 260Z with a 383 SBC in it and upon flooring it one day, the bolts for the seats let loose from the floor pan and then next thing I know, I was staring at the roof!

Have fun with it!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
7/23/13 3:28 p.m.

When you said 'reversion problem" I thought you meant any time you tapped the throttle you were suddenly pointing the other way!

Fantastic work, welcome home.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
7/23/13 5:19 p.m.

I think I need some alone time

peej410
peej410 New Reader
7/23/13 9:01 p.m.

In reply to PHeller:

You know, I never did finish college. Depending on who you talk to its a good or a bad thing. If you have the chops to own your own business you can do well in the auto industry. If you are to be an employee, I personally would make sure I have a degree first. Not having it poisons your mind with the "what if's"

A few years ago I went back and took a handful of courses. It helped reorganize my thought processes enough that it was noticeable this helps me resolve issues faster. I would have NEVER noticed this if I didn't suffer through problems in design and planning for almost a decade.

If you want more info/opinions find me on facebook at AutoSport CT and shoot me a message.

Z cars have really bad lift in the front end. There's varied effective ways to deal with this. I decided to just cut big holes in the hood. The two vents will be open to wards the center of the hood. There were be a wall against each inner fender. Its hard to picture so I will make sure I post more as I make more progress. I also worked on oil cooler positioning and ordered a handful of parts from summit. I bought the cheap summit brand pushlock fittings because I am going dry sump over the winter for ground clearance. (I may have already mentioned that)

Anyways onto the pics!

Untitled by peej410, on Flickr

CrankWalk. I definitely Ziptied my seats into my car at one point, when I was dumber... haha. It was a good way to learn what not to do!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
7/23/13 9:07 p.m.

Nice work.

peej410
peej410 New Reader
7/25/13 8:13 p.m.

Who had input on the oil cooler placement? Its blocking the radiator almost entirely!

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/25/13 9:40 p.m.
peej410 wrote: Who had input on the oil cooler placement? Its blocking the radiator almost entirely!

So do AC condensors and that is a 3 row at least aluminum unit. Its fine.

peej410
peej410 New Reader
7/25/13 11:30 p.m.

I guess we will see. Cooling should be better at low speed if the exhaust reversion is fixed. Exhaust gases staying in and exiting the chamber upwards can make lots of heat!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/26/13 9:56 a.m.

Those headers look too good to wrap...but they look good enough to ceramic coat internally if you can afford it.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
7/26/13 6:51 p.m.

I have never been a fan of SBC Z cars. infact, it has always been my goal to build a nissan powered 6cyl Z to trump all v8 Z's. (still not there yet ) . . . all that being said, I don't hate this. It's awesome that you used the misfortune and turned it into a skill set that you might never have had otherwise. As much as I love my Z, I love all the things it has taught me and all the experiences we have had together over the last decade even more. This project rocks, and as much as I come off as a purist while I shy away from the V8 S30 cars, I still commend you for all the great work you have done here. Way to keep another one alive!

peej410
peej410 New Reader
7/27/13 12:12 a.m.

Gameboy,

I actually bought some cans of the VHT header paint for now. They will get ceramic coat next year when I have the motor out for dry sump conversion and fresh valve springs. With dry sump I am probably going distributorless but we shall see!

2K4K

Thanks for the kind words. Looking at photos of what I achieved still makes me think... "Thats really my car" at this point ive massaged nearly every piece of the car so it truly is an expression of my creations. People tell me that I am one of the most patient people they know, this most definitely was not the case before starting this project. Do you have a link to your build?

I do appreciate the support from the GRM family here. Will anyone be at the Limerock on Sept 1st? I drove the car there last year. I plan to show it this year.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
7/27/13 7:29 a.m.

Bring it to the challenge as a exhibition, and the Mitty.

You do belong here

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/27/13 8:02 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Bring it to the challenge as a exhibition

This is a good plan. I'm over the $20xx budget, so that's what I will be doing.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
7/27/13 2:48 p.m.

actually my car has never had a dedicated build thread, kinda strange considering it has more work and money involved than anything else I own. but here are a couple pics: my '77 280

and my audi build thread if your into german stuff my '87 4000 quattro

peej410
peej410 New Reader
7/27/13 10:43 p.m.

Your Z is so much prettier than mine!

I love the bottle of ice water on the fuel pump! Classic!

Based on your suggestions guys, I am going to need a better tow vehicle! Haha!

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
7/28/13 10:49 a.m.

well thanks man, but I'm going to need a serious power increase if I ever want to keep up with yours!

I'll be following this thread

peej410
peej410 New Reader
8/5/13 6:27 a.m.

Update!

It melts the slicks off in second and third from a roll.

I need to play with the carb a bit. Lean cruise is too rich and main circuit is too lean (13:1)

I emded up reusing the 2.5 magnaflows from before.

Eventually I want to move the fuel pump and pre filter (left hand side of fuel cell) and put a muffler up in the body work so i have room for a diffuser.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/5/13 6:33 a.m.

we need more photos

peej410
peej410 New Reader
8/5/13 7:33 p.m.

As requested.

Ill add some details later, I have some work to finish on this vette im wrapping up for a customer.

peej410
peej410 New Reader
8/7/13 10:15 p.m.

Ok so the oil cooler is a setrab 925. As you can tell its huge. Oil temps at 70deg ambient cruise went from 240/260 to 140. So now i need a thermostat.

Water temps with hood venting (no other changes besides oil cooler) went from 225 to as high as 205 in dead stop traffic on a 80 deg day. The fan is a ford taurus fan with a deraile switch. I dont have the second stage plugged in yet.

No leaks, no hiccups. My best acceleration estimate is 60-100 in around 2 seconds. Not surprisingly, it barely hooks below 40mph. Currently the carb is setup 1:1 so i can play with power deliver proportionate to throttle input. It does run smoother with the new headers. It has a good bit more torque and more bottom end.

I was going to take it to the Okemo hill climb this weekend but i think i might take it to the dyno sat and an autocross sunday. We shall see.

I terminated the exhaust quick and dirty out at an angle behind the rear wheels for now.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
8/7/13 10:22 p.m.

Have you joined the CT Z Car Club yet? Its free!

http://www.ctzcc.com/

carbon
carbon New Reader
8/7/13 10:46 p.m.

Great job! fabtastic!

peej410
peej410 New Reader
8/8/13 12:47 a.m.

I have actually been a CTZ member but my car never ran long enough to go to a meet.

I just realized Z con is this week and tomorrow is the track day! Grr

Thanks Carbon.

The warm welcome makes me wish i started the thread ten years ago!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q8haPrlt5wDqk7aWoQ1s95ezgNUXBXOePuAjjQ9xmrpPcQiELM1DqCzC5G2g1EyK