1 2 3 4
peej410
peej410 New Reader
12/31/13 9:54 p.m.

Thanks! Not much recent news on the project. Ive been messing with the puking valvecovers issue. Ao far i welded breather extensions on but I dont think i like them. Haha. Happy New year and I hope I will have some updates soon!

(Unless i cut it all apart and tube the whole front...)

peej410
peej410 New Reader
9/11/14 10:35 p.m.

Hey all! Been playing on track all season, figured I would check in and post a video link from yesterday. If theres still interest, i can get into the nitty gritty of what I have been messing with. http://youtu.be/rYbuuTE8lMQ

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
9/12/14 6:49 a.m.

There is still interest.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
9/12/14 7:01 a.m.

Yes! We never found out about the dyno with the new exhaust, about the spherical bearings in the rear end, about so many things!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/12/14 7:20 a.m.
peej410 wrote: If theres still interest, i can get into the nitty gritty of what I have been messing with

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/12/14 7:44 a.m.

I just stumbled in here... that is one very slick project with tons of cool fab work. Keep it coming.

peej410
peej410 New Reader
9/12/14 3:09 p.m.

I will post an update soon then! Hey snorklewhacker, my girl asked if you pinched it off too hard and it turned purple?

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
9/12/14 3:10 p.m.
peej410 wrote: I will post an update soon then! Hey snorklewhacker, my girl asked if you pinched it off too hard and it turned purple?

If that's what he was talking about, he would not have used "Giant" as part of the name.

s14blane
s14blane New Reader
9/16/14 7:02 p.m.

I like your ride man! I've built an S14 but would love to have a 240Z at some point,with either a RB swap or LS powered. The way you've put the car together gets a two thumbs up from me!

peej410
peej410 New Reader
9/23/14 8:05 p.m.

Thanks for the kind words guys! The car sure gets a lot of attention where-ever she goes. I have been working a lot this year. I opened a fabrication and race car maintenance business.

First Ill delve into what I have been doing besides the car briefly. (gotta plug the biz!)

In December of last year I was contacted by a person interested in buying a used E36M3 race car. He was serious, skilled, and wanted to win. It helped that he was realistic about the budget to do so. I reached into my bag of tricks and came up with nill. Most local cars weren't very well put together. So, given that I had been offered a position on Bimmerworlds pit crew, I asked James Clay if he knew of anyone.

We were able to pick up this bad boy. Untitled by peej410, on Flickr It is a S54 powered M3 shell rolling on Motons and all of the other happy bits. The customer and I have been having fun racing it and improving it as we go.

I touched on the fact that I am also traveling with Bimmerworld. I work on the 84 that is being campaigned in ST. Untitled by peej410, on Flickr

It is a new F30 based build and has been a learning experience for everyone involved. It seems as BMW progresses, the cars become less and less capable of racing out of the box. Bimmerworld has developed a lot of parts for this car to make it reliable and track worthy. It ran a 58 at LRP on 225 contis. (whole field was quick) but that is insane for such a small amount of tire. It is a true testament to the difference between club level and pro level efforts. This car is basically an all stock motor and some gnarly triple adjustable dampers. Every other modification allowed by the rules is solely for reliability. I cannot comment enough on how great the team is.

Onto the Zed. It is ballistic-fast. I am working on grip in the rear off throttle, the car pitches sideways very easily. It could be geometry, it could be the height of the fuel cell, it could be dampers. Heres a shot from Thompson Untitled by peej410, on Flickr

Another from Thunderbolt. Untitled by peej410, on Flickr

You would never know it that between these two photos the front spring rate went up 350lbs. The front end felt perpetually dead. So I mimmicked front E36M3 spring rates despite the revised roll centers. Also, I did narrow the front end. It was hitting the fenders and would require too much trimming to get to work properly without looking excessively hacked. I miss the wider front end so will be sourcing some more fenders to hack up and move the wheel opening forward a few inches. I have a hunch that the front was traveling deep into the bump stops under braking causing the wheel hop at the rear.

I have been chasing ever loosening suspension bearings. I have now replaced, all four ball joints in the rear (were tight when I built it) and both RTABs with spherical pieces. The braking is much improved, though I havent played with the bias much. I can say for sure, that it does not have enough brakes for the speed of the vehicle. I hit 138mph at Thompson, 135 at LRP and 141 at Thunderbolt, I am still taking it easy and dealing with fuel starvation.

I have also been caging numerous cars. I am wrapping up this C5 Z06 this week before we leave for the Glen with the E36. Untitled by peej410, on Flickr

Also did this MK1 Jetta earlier this year, Untitled by peej410, on Flickr Untitled by peej410, on Flickr Untitled by peej410, on Flickr

Finally, I was presented with an opportunity to buy this, Untitled by peej410, on Flickr

So, I did. I have had it for almost two months and I still haven't had a chance to work on it!!! It is a creampuff, 77 280z Auto with 46k. She is for sale, at least until I have a chance to ruin it somehow

Storz
Storz Dork
9/24/14 11:25 a.m.

What a build!! Keep us updated, and definitely keep posting videos.

peej410
peej410 New Reader
9/24/14 2:47 p.m.

In reply to Storz: Thank you! I will! I was having an overheating problem with my iphone on most track days causing the phone to shut down while recording.

I am very excited to return to LRP in two weeks, ill be sure to post more in car.

Also i almost forgot, if anyone in the Northeast needs fab work, or race car setup help/advice find me on FB www.Facebook.com/AutoSportCT

peej410
peej410 New Reader
11/5/14 5:02 p.m.

Hey everybody!

Well the season ended with a bang, (thankfully not my car) but I will be heading down to Delaware to pick up a new car for my customer. In Delaware there is also a 28ft enclosed trailer... so, heres my "other" Zcar on ebay if anyone here is interested. http://www.ebay.com/itm/271658379823?forcerRptr=true&item=271658379823&viewitem=

Hopefully by christmas time I will have the opportunity to post on the Zed.

I am tempted to sell my motor and swap in an LS/dry sump. Anyone have any experience with such nonsense?

peej410
peej410 New Reader
1/19/15 7:20 p.m.

How all you fellars doin?

The Z has been in storage for months. She will be coming out soon and rolling right into my new shop! I signed a lease on 2700sqft of automotive pillaging glory.

I will finally be able to work on a lift (after a second knee surgery, unfortunately its necessary) I will have an alignment machine and corner balance scales to play with and will be developing parts for sale.

Back to the Z. I have been doing a lot of mental masturbating about the rear suspension. Last time I was at the track I just could not get the rear of the car to stick. It felt like the car just would not transfer weight onto the outside tire without sliding. I dropped the rear spring rate to 300lb (true coilover) and will be testing it in the spring.

In talking with fellows that are SMRT-er than I, I have started questioning my decision to raise the rear subframe. The lever arm between the CG and the roll center may be too short for the car to roll onto the outside tire and take a set. In photos i have gathered, its pretty obvious that the outside rear sidewall is folding as if it is FULLY loaded.

Anyone ever experience this?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8s5HjbdGLrZ2Y8A3cs0MCUKr8d15Qt8Ut60tGMiOSNqQHiZeCQbWeOdEyLecZArn