SuperTrouper
SuperTrouper
3/23/21 4:48 p.m.

This post is intended to seek and share info regarding my future project car. I have been dreaming and planning this bad-boy for about 1 year now.  It is largely inspired by ground effect era cars, particularly the Ferrari 126c. I´m still finishing a masters degree, so I don´t have time nor money to really dive into it. However, I´ve recently taken a part time job and started saving to buy the essential parts. Already bought the steering rack from an old Lancia Delta mk1, its manual and its got a sweet and precise movement (similar to the steering racks on the formula Abarth 2000cc). I live in Portugal so I don´t have many places to race this car, probably will have to stick with hillclimbs, and weekends at the local karting track, as trackdays in Estoril are very expensive. My goal is to build something fast, fun and cheap. Here´s my starting plan. In order to have it running in a first stage I don´t intend to burn more than 3000 euros (3500 dollars). I intend to Frankenstein whatever is needed and run with rusty old parts, then refine it until perfection.

Engine

I intend to use an AGG block with a 16v head, of course for this pistons are a must. As I don´t have a lot of money on the go I intend to split engine construction into two stages, stage 1 is to get it running and racing on a budget, stage 2 is for when (eventually) I gather the money and courage to pull this madness into reality.

Stage 1-(Low budget) – NA, ITB’s from gsxr 750 with double injectors, h-beam rods and forged pistons. Fuel: 98 octane pump gas (Europe) with a spitronics ECU.

Stage 2-(High budget) – Turbocharged with a gt45, intercooler, probably forged crankshaft. Fuel: Toluene 50%, xylene 45% and 5% nitrobenzene (really want to try it). 5 to 6 bar of dynamic compression ratio. 288 cams. Inox fuel lines with coils for heating (in order to vaporize the toluene). Also some sodium filled valves are a must!

Transmission

Intend to use an Audi A4 trans-axle transmission, the same that fitted the 1.8t AEB engine, the code for it is EHV and it is a 5 speed manual transmission with hydraulic clutch. Probably will have to fabricate an adaptor.

Chassis

I´m fairly competent at welding steel and aluminum. Intend to fabricate something akin to a Ferrari 126c chassis. Half squared frame aluminum half aluminum riveted monocoque.

I intend to have the fuel tank behind the seat with the engine bolted onto it. The suspension will be the same with the “swing-arms” as in the 126c and other ground effect cars, both in rear and front. This way I have enough room to place side pods and radiators.

---------------------------------

The first question I have is about the audi a4 1.8t AEB transmission, would it realistically work in a mid-engine formula setting?

The second is about springs (where can I but the hardest springs available?) I though about starting with motorcycle shocks and springs (similar to those found on the benelli 251. But I fear this might not be enough to prevent the car from wobbling. Any ideas?

Honsch
Honsch Reader
3/24/21 1:21 a.m.

We use an 012 cased transmission on or VW Fox race car.  It's bolted directly to the ABA block with the B5 Passat/A4 flywheel and clutch and works fine.  This is the longitudinal FWD setup.

I've been told all VW water cooled 4 cylinder engines use the same bolt pattern but I cannot confirm through experience.

Once nice thing about using the Audi 012 cased transmission is it also has the bolt pattern for the six cylinder engines as well.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
3/24/21 7:31 a.m.

The fwd VW/Audi B5 box will work in a mid engine configuration as it's damn near the same as the 5 speed Boxster trans. 

I'm (slowly) putting a 1.8t with the same trans into the back of a Europa.  Shifter: a Boxster shifter is plug and play. Axles and the lack of a limited slip are the only hiccups I've found.

The B5 has a funky clutch and clutch hydraulic setup - it doesn't have the traditional clutch springs in the clutch disk, so engagement may be abrupt.

Rigante
Rigante New Reader
3/24/21 9:08 a.m.

there are a number of gearbox designs. the 01E 01X boxes have quite a distance between the engine mount face and the driveshafts

the OB series have a much smaller distance

01E

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EFAYkgnz3bFmYt8avIqP5vlXiP3gZRorqvYCDsoU7C9IAFSJ8uImPWRf9x6CQkps