1 2 3 ... 6
gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/15/22 8:03 p.m.

"Lazarus, come forth!"

Picking up where t25torx left off, I intend to bring this Coupe back to glory. But first, as always, it must get here! CB, one of my Challenge teammates, was already planning a trip north from FL so he stopped and grabbed Lazarus along the way.

Between committing to purchase and delivery today, I contacted my FFR friend to glean some general Coupe knowledge which turned into him doing a bit of digging on this Coupe in particular.
*edit 6/18, After a bit of mix up with another crashed white Coupe from the same timeframe, the mountain of paperwork I received with the car confirms t25torx purchased from the original builder, and there was only one crash for this Coupe.

There are upgrades completed by the original builder; notably, geometry correction stuff up front, a 3link with watts out back, and Koni coilovers. I am looking forward to putting my touches on this build, and seeing it back up and going once more.

Teaching this car not to run into things may be a struggle. During transit from TN to here, one of the rear wheels decided it no longer wanted to be part of the solution, and ejected itself down the interstate. CB patched things back together and is rolling again, but that rouge wheel was nowhere to be found. When he arrives, we will get Lazarus into the space I have cleared, and begin evaluations.

*Insert Inspirational Photo*

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
6/15/22 8:15 p.m.

-1 for not having pop up headlamps. 
+3 for side pipes. 
id say it needs a boosted small 6. Wish I knew where there were some parts laying around. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/15/22 9:44 p.m.

Damn. That red car is incredibly cool!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/22 10:58 p.m.

Oh no I'm losing the wheel!!!

I've done that before but I was driving...

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/15/22 11:00 p.m.

Um yes. Please continue.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/15/22 11:54 p.m.

Ah, so you did buy it. Awesome.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
6/16/22 6:03 a.m.

Woot!

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/16/22 7:38 a.m.

In reply to gumby :

Sweet. yes

I'm going to go ahead and make a prediction: it remains Ford powered and gets BOOOOOST !

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/16/22 7:54 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I am betting it doesn't get boost.... yet.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/22 8:48 a.m.

Super cool!  I'm looking forward to following along.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/16/22 9:00 a.m.

Aw yes! I like this even more than the Eagle GT. Anything remotely close to that red car will be amazing, especially with N/A Ford V8 noises blub-blubbing from its sidepipes IMO.

gumby
6/16/22 11:22 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

id say it needs a boosted small 6. Wish I knew where there were some parts laying around. 

While definitely an interesting thought, and one I would enjoy using to upset purists(yes, replica car purists existfrown), the profits from liquidating my small six stash were rolled into the funds which made this purchase possible.

Bob knows what's up. The plan for drivetrain is the gt40 5.0/T5 from Rainbow Dash to get things started. After that all bets are off, but I will admit to owning a pair of IndyCar take-off EFRs here which could happily produce enough chuff to split an OE 8.2" block.

First, there is a car of parts and pieces to unpack, inventory, and evaluate. Then, purposeful disassembly of the car itself. All before any thoughts of installing a drivetrain...

Lazarus presents as an abused and neglected race car. I will treat the process accordingly.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
6/16/22 1:39 p.m.

Hell yeah, following along

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
6/17/22 8:14 a.m.

drool

gumby
7/5/22 7:40 p.m.

Long holiday weekends mean project shuffling. I have too many cars on site and Rainbow Dash is basically a rolling storage unit, so let's unpack

gumby
8/8/22 5:48 p.m.

After several weeks of OPP(Other People's Projects), I needed a shop cleanup day. Piles of leftovers, part-out bits, and general mess covered every raised horizontal surface and too much of the floor. I started with the "project shelf" which was mostly cluttered with junk from previous adventures that past me left for someone else to handle. I guess that means me, again. Once cleared off, I reloaded it with all the parts that came from the hatch of Lazarus

I found this Dyna-Batt in the passenger floor board. Haven't seen one of these in a long time. 5.65v after sitting for I dunno how many years. I may toss it on the charger for science.

With little success finding a 4th Halibrand wheel to replace the one gone AWOL, a pair of FFR replicas were located at a reasonable price. Bonus, they are 10.5" wide for staggered fitment. I put some tires on them today, and spun the coilovers down since there's no engine in the car

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
8/8/22 8:55 p.m.

OMG I love it.  The Daytona is the hottest of the Cobra bunch.  I love that it's being brought back from the dead.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/8/22 9:09 p.m.

My, my; you have me drooling. cheeky

seeing the stagger, it appears loosing that one wheel led to a very good thing! Glad to stray did not hit anyone else!!!!

pardon me for being dense, but I always have been... what's the 3/4 part?

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/8/22 9:13 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

I still like the bairly modded ace of Shelby's original 260/289 cars. Very nice understated... BAD AZZ!

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/9/22 9:48 a.m.
gumby said:

"Lazarus, come forth!"

Picking up where t25torx left off, I intend to bring this Coupe back to glory.

[...]

*Insert Inspirational Photo*

Dunno what (if?) ruleset you're building to.  But, a while back, JC Krueger (of Krueger Tuned Racing) did some tuft analysis of the flow into the rear wing on the Daytona Coupe body, which I compiled into a playlist...

the big takeaway being that you could run a straight-chord style wing and utilize a variable height spoiler between the uprights to help contour the flow into the wing to be more uniform across the span.

gumby
8/9/22 9:53 p.m.

03Panther said:
what's the 3/4 part? 

3/4 Race is how I started labeling my automotive shenanigans when I split them away from my personal profiles on social media. 

sleepyhead the buffalo said:
the big takeaway being that you could run a straight-chord style wing and utilize a variable height spoiler between the uprights to help contour the flow into the wing to be more uniform across the span.

I'm glad you posted this summary. I would have no clue what those scraps of yarn were trying to tell me.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/9/22 10:40 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

Is that anything like the "3/4" cam some of my high school acquaintances had in their cars?  Still heard that from certain adults into the '90s cheeky

I jest... you got mad skillzzz!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
8/9/22 11:39 p.m.

I figured it was because only 3/4 of the original car was left! Ha!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/10/22 7:30 a.m.

In for awesomeness!

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
8/10/22 8:59 a.m.

Headbang GIFs | Tenor

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v9MCvXzxFy2H6DzuvOZo7exD9EtqgGhptKar3xFrZfNdDKsr8Zze35y86Wu1yv1q