1 ... 11 12 13 14 15
Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
6/22/16 5:49 p.m.

Finished the compartment surrounding the new supplemental cooler. Just need to get a piece of weatherstripping to seal the deflector to the scoop to force the air thru

My Other Builds

MulletTruck
MulletTruck New Reader
6/23/16 11:33 a.m.

I know its a little late but some of the motorcycle radiators work well as aux coolers and they have provisions for fans. I personally like the Delkevic brand if buying new because of their good construction and warranty.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
9/14/16 7:01 p.m.

I am making a big push to get this truck finished up. I have it up on the lift to cross things off a long list of minor items. 

Finishing the bottom of the doors and moving the lower hinge up a few inches. Can't wait to trim off all that extra metal.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
9/28/16 6:04 p.m.

Heading out to Crusin' the Coast in Mississippi

My Other Projects

oilstain
oilstain New Reader
10/24/16 1:59 p.m.

This thread was linked from Here (GRM) and I'm glad it was!

I just saw this for the first time. This is inspiring to say the least! Beautiful work, really fun idea!

You mentioned something about removable front fenders, any progress on that idea?

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
10/25/16 9:34 p.m.
oilstain wrote: This thread was linked from Here (GRM) and I'm glad it was! I just saw this for the first time. This is inspiring to say the least! Beautiful work, really fun idea! You mentioned something about removable front fenders, any progress on that idea?

Thanks! I took the truck to Cruisin the Coast recently (1100 miles round trip) and tried real hard to get the fenders done in time.....but no.
I do have all the pieces that I need to mount them though! I did shot some video of the huge car show, but unfortunately had to cut things short and head home to prep for an approaching hurricane. Plan to post the video here in a few weeks

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
10/26/16 11:13 a.m.

Really incredible. Amazing to watch the progress.

I may have missed it, but can you tell me what brand the wheels are and what size both the wheels and tires are?

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
11/2/16 7:06 p.m.
Cotton wrote: Really incredible. Amazing to watch the progress. I may have missed it, but can you tell me what brand the wheels are and what size both the wheels and tires are?

Thanks so much! The front tires are 26x6x15 on 15x4(maybe 5 could not find the receipt for these) and the rears are 31x16x15 on 15x15 wheels.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
11/3/16 5:27 p.m.

Some footage from my Road Trip to Crusin the Coast in Mississippi

Car Show/Road Trip

CLynn85
CLynn85 HalfDork
11/11/16 8:18 p.m.

Awesome. You know you're doing something right when a Ferrari passenger is taking pictures of your ride.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
11/15/16 8:20 p.m.
CLynn85 wrote: Awesome. You know you're doing something right when a Ferrari passenger is taking pictures of your ride.

Thanks! I had a big smile on my face.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/23/16 7:22 p.m.

I like the wider set original VW lights.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
11/23/16 7:29 p.m.
Stampie wrote: I like the wider set original VW lights.

I'm leaning that way too. thanks!

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/24/16 9:38 a.m.

Conservative or not, I like the Model A lights. Maybe new brackets to move them in a bit? It's not like the truck is lacking in the WOW factor. All that said, it does look a bit like mooneyes using the stock lights. The above is an opinion. I'm sure whatever you decide will be bitchin'

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UltraDork
11/25/16 8:02 a.m.

I like the model A lights or the motorcycle lights mounted on the cab.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
11/25/16 10:30 a.m.

The flip-up front window is nuts!Can't imagine the slipstream while driving.

I thought you put AC in this thing?

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
11/25/16 5:15 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: The flip-up front window is nuts!Can't imagine the slipstream while driving. I thought you put AC in this thing?

I have all the A/C parts but only the compressor is in so far. I love driving with the windows open. Its like riding a motorcycle without a helmet, except that I am wearing a seatbelt surrounded by a roll cage

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
11/28/16 7:03 a.m.

Where did these lights come from? There is some interest for use on a Locost.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
1/13/17 6:39 a.m.

After only 13 months and 8000 miles the transmission had a major failure and lost both forward gears. It is out of warranty, but it looks like the manufacturer may warranty it anyway.... Packed up and ready to ship back at their expense 

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
1/13/17 11:03 p.m.

Fingers crossed!

CLynn85
CLynn85 HalfDork
1/14/17 11:23 a.m.

Looking good. Sucks about the trans. I know the drivetrain/wheels/chrome bits probably put this over the budget but wonder if they'd let you run this thing as exhibition at the challenge this year since it's sort of a "truck".

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
1/14/17 2:00 p.m.
CLynn85 wrote: Looking good. Sucks about the trans. I know the drivetrain/wheels/chrome bits probably put this over the budget but wonder if they'd let you run this thing as exhibition at the challenge this year since it's sort of a "truck".

I am planning on going, so if they will let me, I will run it!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
2/11/17 6:10 a.m.

I was thrilled to have Build-Threads.com profile my projects!

Build-Threads.com Post

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
2/23/17 5:42 a.m.

While the trans is out I am making a few changes and upgrades. The engine temp was a bit high on the highway in the summer, so I am adding a second radiator. The truck will eventually have A/C, so it can't hurt. It may turn out to be overkill as I suspect the temp gauge is not all that accurate. I checked several locations on the engine and radiator with a laser thermometer last summer and could not find any spots that were as hot as the gauge indicated. Also adding a MoonEyes mechanical temp gauge in the water neck. I am using aluminized exhaust tubing to route one radiator to the other and doing some work to the right side scoop. Air enters and is directed thru the trans cooler via a center block off plate. Once thru the cooler, the air is sucked back out and pushed thru the second radiator. Drilled some holes in the back half of the scoop and the sheet metal for the radiator exhaust. Also made up a hot air deflector behind the main radiator. It will direct the heat up thru the hood instead of pushing it into the engine compartment. Also painting the engine compartment and swapped out the melted engine mounts with a new set and a set of headers with a better design. 

Added some extra venting for the heat to exit.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/23/17 7:07 a.m.

Sweet radiator setup! Can't wait to see both mounted up. Are there any corrosion/chemistry issues with hot coolant running through the exhaust tubing? I image the aluminized coating is only on the OD. I keep going back and forth between front vs bed mounted radiator in the Rice Rod. Your builds are equally inspiring and informative. I really appreciate you sharing with us and hope to see you and the other crazy trucks at the Challenge!

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rX3rvDmgokOl1Jl5Zw6pDahWVq8ORsgWa81AIsrD0OcrgNN0NKvzmxJYaJHCWhr2