vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
12/11/15 1:08 p.m.

This is soooo cool and creative!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
12/11/15 6:16 p.m.
wheelsmithy wrote:
Ben_Modified wrote: Started shopping around for an upholsterer to wrap the steering wheel in leather. So far an estimate of $120.
Have you ever considered powdercoating? Too slick? Bedliner? Love the builds.

Thanks! Yeah thought powdercoat might be too slick. I wonder if Bedliner may provide too much grip.

java230
java230 Reader
12/14/15 11:01 a.m.
Ben_Modified wrote:
wheelsmithy wrote:
Ben_Modified wrote: Started shopping around for an upholsterer to wrap the steering wheel in leather. So far an estimate of $120.
Have you ever considered powdercoating? Too slick? Bedliner? Love the builds.
Thanks! Yeah thought powdercoat might be too slick. I wonder if Bedliner may provide too much grip.

There is a bed liner that comes in a rattle can, its a blue can ( I think Rustoleum brand?) it goes on very smooth, not super texture like you would think of bedliner. I have used it on a few different things and it seems to hold up well.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
12/14/15 5:14 p.m.
java230 wrote:
Ben_Modified wrote:

There is a bed liner that comes in a rattle can, its a blue can ( I think Rustoleum brand?) it goes on very smooth, not super texture like you would think of bedliner. I have used it on a few different things and it seems to hold up well.

Thanks, good to know!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
12/14/15 6:00 p.m.

Started on the Rear Inner fenders today One side welded in

My Builds on Youtube

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
12/15/15 7:16 p.m.

Finished up the inner fenders

Working on completing the front sides of the fenders

Cutting up and using another trailer fender

Used the planishing hammer to round off the cut edge to match the rest of the fender

Going to use some metal mesh to make some compartments in the corners of the bed which will be covered by the bed sides.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
12/16/15 6:47 p.m.
vazbmw wrote: This is soooo cool and creative!

Thanks! I checked out your ride. Gotta love a hot rod wagon! Looks great!

Here is todays progress

Engine compartment venting to the Bed

Pocket in corner of the bed for venting and hauling greasy items or just things that I don't want sliding around, chain etc. This will be hidden by the Bed Sides

My Youtube Build Videos

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
12/21/15 6:41 p.m.

Passenger side is done!

Pocket behind right rear wheel

Welded on some Dzus fasteners to mount a removable cover over the charcoal canister behind the left rear wheel.

Took measurements for an Aluminum Treadplate bed floor. Going to the big city soon to pick it up. They have a huge shear to cut just the size I want with nice smooth straight lines.

My Youtube Build Videos

facebook page

java230
java230 Reader
12/22/15 10:12 a.m.

Cant wait to see it started!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
12/24/15 5:08 a.m.
java230 wrote: Cant wait to see it started!

Here you go!

First Start Up / Part 10

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
12/30/15 7:37 p.m.

Sprayed the frame rails under the bed floor with some aerosol bed liner. Also drilled and tapped all the bed floor mounting points and bought some nylon washers to place between the bed floor and frame rails to allow air floor and prevent moisture accumulation.

1/4" Aluminum Bed Floor

Started playing around with an idea for the headlights. I made up a reversible locking spring loaded headlight mount to secure some polished bullet headlights. When rotated back, they resemble the dagmar bumperettes.

And started making up the under the cab lower rails.

My Youtube Build Page

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
1/3/16 6:20 a.m.

Finally get to Drive It! Wow. so much fun!

Test Drive Video!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/3/16 8:13 a.m.

In less than 1 year. Incredible.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
1/3/16 6:21 p.m.
OHSCrifle wrote: In less than 1 year. Incredible.

Thanks! Got a good start on a roll cage for it today! When finished, it will have 3 sets of 3 points seat belts.

My Youtube Page

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
1/4/16 11:30 a.m.
Ben_Modified wrote: Finally get to Drive It! Wow. so much fun! Test Drive Video!

Did you get nervous at the 50 second mark of the video when the cop went past, or is that thing already licensed?

java230
java230 Reader
1/4/16 11:32 a.m.

Freaking AWESOME!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
1/4/16 4:13 p.m.
Mezzanine wrote:
Ben_Modified wrote: Finally get to Drive It! Wow. so much fun! Test Drive Video!
Did you get nervous at the 50 second mark of the video when the cop went past, or is that thing already licensed?

Registered (with an 8 cyl designation) tagged and insured. Insurance is aware of the modifications!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
1/8/16 6:29 p.m.

Finished the cage and installed the seat belts

My Builds

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
1/9/16 6:11 p.m.

Installed the Safari Windshields today.

My Projects on Youtube

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
1/9/16 9:49 p.m.

So incredible with all the sheet metal work you've done here. Incredible work.

CLynn85
CLynn85 HalfDork
1/9/16 10:42 p.m.

My favorite build thread at the moment, very nice work, seeing it on the road was phenomenal.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
1/10/16 6:15 p.m.
84FSP wrote: So incredible with all the sheet metal work you've done here. Incredible work.
CLynn85 wrote: My favorite build thread at the moment, very nice work, seeing it on the road was phenomenal.

Thanks for the kind words!

Finally got around to putting a cover on the bench seat springs today. Got tired of riding around sitting on a piece of cardboard! I went ahead and installed some seat heaters while I was at it.

I also permanently compressed the springs in the top of the seat back. First with zip ties to hold everything in place and then with metal cable. The top of the seat back had me sitting up a little too much. Glad I did it as it turns out the seat cover, which is supposed to fit the factory seat, was never ever going to fit the original seat back frame.

BenModified.com

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
1/14/16 7:17 p.m.

Weighed the truck at the recycle center. It came in at 2840. With the remaining body panels and a/c parts, it should end up right at 3000.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
1/18/16 6:40 p.m.

1500 to 5000 rpm Quick acceleration test

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/13/16 12:45 p.m.

I think I saw you heading south on 95 in Jacksonville about 8:30 this morning. If so I was heading north and only saw you for a few seconds but it looked really cool for those few seconds.

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kbD3hygtnxzY7y9BIgHY2cNuwScJDsRcifXKzpeQrKgVLqH0mZG2pf9pNZ900Fyo