1 2 3 ... 6
Geofordman
Geofordman New Reader
1/5/21 10:06 p.m.

I was asked  by some people for my build thread on my latest project so here it is...

Some have said it couldn't be done and some have said it shouldn't be done, so I did it anyway! Yup I put a 68 Mustang body on a 2006 Crown Vic chassis! Yes its a Widebody! Yes it drives awesome and yes I Autocross it! No its not finished! Here's some pics of it today. Does anyone want to see how I did it?

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/5/21 10:08 p.m.

Ummm...yes. Definately yes.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
1/5/21 10:09 p.m.
preach said:

Ummm...yes. Definately yes.

Of course we want to see it !

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
1/5/21 10:12 p.m.

Please!

Geofordman
Geofordman New Reader
1/5/21 10:13 p.m.

The first question I usually get is why a Crown Vic? The short answer is because they're cheap! Let's look at what it takes to build a classic Mustang to drive nice, look cool and handle, we are going to want 4 wheel disc brakes, rack and pinion steering, a trac loc diff, fuel injection, overdrive trans, etc. We are also going to want to stiffen the chassis and get rid of any rust issues. Well we just racked up a $100,000 build! The CV offers us all of this plus, 31 spline axles, ABS brakes, variable ratio steering and a full frame all for about $2500! Do I have your attention? I thought so. The only drawback is how wide it is. The answer is fender flares! If you dig roadracey style Mustangs then you're a candidate for a Crown Vic chassis swap!

Geofordman
Geofordman New Reader
1/5/21 10:20 p.m.

This is what I started with...

Geofordman
Geofordman New Reader
1/5/21 10:27 p.m.

I had previously Autocrossed the Vic and had lowered it 3 inches all around with coilovers in the front and cut coils in the back. That is also when I scored some 18x9.5 SVT wheels and tires for it. When Covid hit, I found myself with some extra time, so I started hacking the CV in preparation for the bodyswap. I started by shortening the CV by 6.75 inches. The Vic has a straight outer perimeter frame so its easy to shorten. I cut the 6.75 inch section out then cut and welded the piece until it would slide inside the frame rails like a sleeve. I then plug welded it into position before sliding the rear portion of the frame into place. Double check for straightness and correct wheelbase and weld it out! I never even cut the brake lines. I simply used my tubing bender to take up the extra length until they fit. I actually had a 48.5 inch aluminum driveshaft hanging around that fit perfectly! I cut the Vic floor behind the front seats and left a 3/4 inch overlap to weld to the two pieces together with a series of small plug welds, spot weld style. The trunk section behind the gas tank gets the same treatment but I removed 12 inches from it. Initially I was going to race the CV as a shortened car but I felt I had time to go ahead and body swap it!
The Mustang was rusty junk! No one in their right mind would fix this car, but that is part of my point! This deal uses the worst junk and makes something cool out of it for very little cash outlay. A person with a mig welder and a Sawzall can build it with enough time and ambition.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
1/5/21 10:28 p.m.

Box Flares means never having to say "I'm sorry"

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/5/21 10:39 p.m.

I never did like box flares too much, 'specially on old mustangs... but that is nice! Even nicer considering the whole story! Great job, and keep the info / pic's coming!!!

Course now I want to shorten a Panther! All that short photo needs is the door jams moved back / lengthened doors!

Geofordman
Geofordman New Reader
1/5/21 11:18 p.m.

I really wished I'd had a chance to race the shortened Vic! It was kinda cool looking!

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/5/21 11:21 p.m.

Is that the most complete you went picture of it shortend?

Also, more mustang pictures! 68 notch was always one of my favorites, btw.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/5/21 11:46 p.m.

This is spectacular.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/6/21 5:13 a.m.

In for more, more, more! All the details. Don't worry about overwhelming us with pictures or details,  as im reasonably certain that that has NEVER happened here, snd likely cannot actually happen. 

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
1/6/21 6:35 a.m.
No One Ever on GRM said:

Ohh, that's too much information.    And waaay too many pictures.

Please stop with the tech.

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
1/6/21 7:44 a.m.

This was a covid project.  Start to finish it appears.  
<looking at my project car that's been stalled out for 12 years>

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/21 8:00 a.m.

Super cool!

Geofordman
Geofordman New Reader
1/6/21 8:22 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I got sidetracked with stripping the Mustang and never shortened the rear doors before I seriously cut up the Vic. So it never got past the construction point in the picture. 

Geofordman
Geofordman New Reader
1/6/21 8:32 a.m.

I started cutting the Mustang apart and sold the seat frames and front suspension for $300, meaning I had zero dollars in the Mustang and I got the Crown Vic for changing the fuel pump in a 2003 Maurader. (Man, did I want that car for my build!) I told you I was doing this on the cheap!  

Geofordman
Geofordman New Reader
1/6/21 8:49 a.m.

<3 <3 <3

Geofordman
Geofordman New Reader
1/6/21 9:07 a.m.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/6/21 9:22 a.m.

those rust piles on the floor make me laugh

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/6/21 9:36 a.m.

Wow. This makes me thing a crown vic coupe would be a sweet daily.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/6/21 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Geofordman :

Congratulations! You, sir, are the new chair of the Royal Society for Putting Things On Top of Other Things. Well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFrdqQZ8FFc

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XFlo0Kutrj9ctQs6gLLdF9RO4HzP3McnvnZqtaUyVWwpdRNMlF69G9G0LSLEne18