Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/20 8:26 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

If you don't fit please let me know :)

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
9/27/20 8:38 p.m.

At the age of 30 (20 years ago) at 220 lbs, 6' 1" and 32" inseam, I did not fit. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/20 9:03 p.m.

At age 22, I was 6'1" and about 185. I had a hard time getting in and out of a '73 Twin Cam back then. I don't think I could do it today.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
9/27/20 9:26 p.m.

It's the shoes, high top wrestling shoes were required to drive my Lotus.

Gravity is your friend getting into the car.  Learning to crawl out, takes practice.

Trent (Generally supportive dude)
Trent (Generally supportive dude) PowerDork
9/27/20 9:37 p.m.

6' tall, 32 inch inseam and 220lbs. I fit.

However I cannot drive one. Size 11 feet. I hit the brake and gas at the same time and my toes are hanging up on the under dash bits and steering column. 

I did manage to drive one without shoes.  

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 New Reader
9/28/20 5:59 a.m.

Well that just took a europa off my list. Im 6'6" 195. I did fit an evora 400 though, so maybe in 20 years...

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
9/28/20 9:30 a.m.

Once I'm in the car I fit fine, but ingress and egress is another story.  I'm 5'10, 230ish lb but I do have small feet.

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/28/20 10:13 a.m.

WOW those are small cars. No wonder they're so light.

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/28/20 10:46 a.m.

I'm a very limber 6'2', 180 lbs., 11 1/2 shoes-EEE width. No problem but I have always worn Docksiders without socks so barefoot driving has always been a thing with little cars. Driving shoes are ok but no way with running shoes.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/28/20 10:59 a.m.

6'2" and 150lbs at the time I "drove" one. (well, I steered while others pushed...) and  I sat in another.

Cramped, but doable.  Hope you are limber for getting in and out.  

Wanted one for awhile, but would be scared to do anything in one where I might get in a crash. They are also so low that I would be doubly scared of not being seen and hence, crashed into. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/28/20 11:07 a.m.

I've not driven one, but I've been in a couple and didn't have much trouble.  5' 10", about 170 and size 10 shoes (but narrow feet).  I'm fairly athletic/flexible, although at 50 it's starting to get harder.

I'd say they are slightly less roomy inside than a Spitfire, but in different ways.  More leg room length, but a smaller toe box. Getting in/out is essentially the same as getting in/out of my Spitfire or GT6.  Easier than an Elise thanks to the narrower sill. 

A driver's side impact from a moped would likely result in injury to the driver. The moped would likely ride away... 

I still want a Europa. 

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
9/28/20 11:15 a.m.

Take up Yoga and you will be ok. cheeky

ojannen
ojannen Reader
9/28/20 11:22 a.m.

I am so jealous of everyone in this thread.  At 6'6" with a 32" inseam, I am wondering which of your cars have an extra 8" of headroom.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/28/20 12:34 p.m.

Boxing shoes with the cut back heel area are a requirement for me to drive one and I am a 9E foot size. 

ojannen
ojannen Reader
9/28/20 1:43 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

I am working on it

9/29/20 9:40 a.m.
maschinenbau (I live here) said:

WOW those are small cars. No wonder they're so light.

They're a bit longer than an NA Miata, but lower by a few inches. 

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/29/20 1:50 p.m.

I'm jelly. That could be one awesome project. Enjoy.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/29/20 2:23 p.m.

Looks a lot better than the typical "free range Europa" - the head is still on the block.

Also jealous. 

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
9/29/20 4:46 p.m.

That's a good deal. Good luck. I'm jealous, I do kind of wish mine didn't need extensive work up.

What's the VIN? I have a '71 too. 1093R if I remember right.

Edit, I see now, 0143R. 

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
9/29/20 4:55 p.m.

In regards to the 5 speed, keep your eyes and ears open for a Fuego with a 5 speed.  You'll have to do some adapting for the rear mount, and depending on if you want to keep the stock rear suspension set up you'll have to swap out the spider gears, but you would end up with a 5 speed.  Finding a stock 5 speed for the later TC cars will be nearly impossible (not completely, but nearly).  If you do the swap, I highly recommend making up a cable shifter arrangement, it's miles ahead of the stock set up.

As for Renault bits, Meca Parts in France is a good source, but so are the usual classic/historic lotus dealers.  

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
9/29/20 5:37 p.m.

The Lotus valve cover is/was available from Banks in the UK, though it is spendy Valve Cover 

In regards to the Comics, check to see if there is any cracking between the bolt holes and the spokes.  I've seen a fair number of them with cracks in the this area.

Also, based on the VIN plate, your car was originally painted Bahama Yellow (L010 paint code) Paint Codes

chandler
chandler PowerDork
9/29/20 6:49 p.m.

There are two Fuegos in a yard near here, I'll check if there is a 5spd for you?

9/29/20 6:54 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

Seriously, let me know if/when you decide to sell it. This is pretty much the Europa I'd like to own. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
coxSotdgOZsg9zbAFUXOo5YbJVjGe4bGMH5Z0SjOS4ypZfdqpg9TOb0p7j964ieC