That came out really nice!

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/30/21 2:39 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

That came out really nice!

Thanks sir!

If it ain't smokin', it's broken:

Idle is dead on and she is still cold blooded but nowhere near as hard to start. It takes about 5 minutes for it to warm up enough to ride.no more fuel bowl leaks. I detect a little moisture around the bowl gasket but not pooling and dripping like before. The bowls may be slightly warped or something since I made sure it was well seated with some grease on it. If it never gets worse than this then I'm happy with it.

I now have 1.2 miles on it and I anticipate that going up pretty quickly.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/31/21 5:32 a.m.

It sounds and looks great!  You made that look easy.

5/31/21 8:30 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

It sounds and looks great!  You made that look easy.

Thanks sir! My summer is about to get really busy in June so I really just tried to go pretty hard on it. Some takeaways now that I have put a few miles on it. I need to do the other 2 head gaskets since I can see some weeping. It also wants to go WOT or slow down, this isn't a cruiser. Clear fuel lines have to go as well. I have the worst luck with those leaking on everything I own. With the exception of seeing fuel flow, I just don't get them. You can tell which cylinder is getting fuel by the individual pipes puffing smoke anyway. 

This is the first pull I made while figuring out how the front wheel down in 1st . I see why this bike needs a fork rebuild so badly. I also see why these are nuts in corners. Even at a quarter throttle above 6k it wants to shoot to redline. It's a pretty specialized tool for raising hell. wink

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/1/21 10:33 a.m.

The first H1 I bought looked exactly like your's did when you got it.  I kept the black but went with gloss black.  Mine ran good at first, but had no 3rd gear.  I rode it around anyway, just skipped third.  Then it stopped charging.  I bought a second one, a '72 for the front end (I hated the front drum brake, not racy enough). The '72 had a good trans which I intended to swap into the '71.  Because of the differences in the electrical and ignition, I fixed up the '72 and rode it for quite a while.  Sold off the '71 for parts.  I owned several triples, but the best one I ever owned was a '75 Purple H2.  I rode that thing everywhere.  Rode it everyday when I was in college at Purdue.  Rode it home from college, too.  It went from box stock, to new carbs, air filters, bored and new pistons, chambers, Mulholland rear shocks, fork kit and lower handlebars.  It screamed but was also happy riding on the highway at a steady 70 mph.  One of my greatest regrets of all the vehicles I owned was selling it.  I had saved every stock part and gave them to the new owner.

6/8/21 8:01 p.m.

After doing the right side head and putting a few miles on, I noticed the middle head gasket might be seeping so I wanted to do the other two and put in the new fuel lines.

Oh wow. Ok yeah it was way worse than the right side one I replaced.

It looked like the culprit was the center front head bolts were missing the flat washers and only had the lock washer. Looks like it didn't gall the head but that would have been uneven torque up front for sure.

Cleaned up

I went with the cheap ricer blue line because it came with 15 clamps. If it leaks I'm doing black rubber fuel line.

I found some Kawasaki racing oil near me to top up the tank. I don't need racing oil but the price was right.

After I go through some of this I'd like to find some  Ipone oil that smells like strawberries. cheeky

First kick....starts right up. I'm guessing it starts easier because I now have more compression.

Weather is perfect so I run around for a bit  and it does great. We will see if I still have the fuel weeping over night but I'll get that sorted eventually. 

Gotta get a glamour shot before winter comes back again:

wink

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/8/21 9:00 p.m.

I never really cared for the ricer blue fuel line; but since you're riding one of the most in your face rice burners ever made, it suits! And matches the paint - as well as the oil laugh

The only two stroke triple I had was a mostly 73 H1. 69 (iirc) top end, that my buddy that built it said were same power as later, but the porting made it a bit more radical than 73 (read narrower power) some very minor port work by Paul Gast of Fast-by-Gast (even narrower) and the over sized carbs off the drag 500. I told people you could be ideling along at about 1K rpm, grab all the throttle you could twist up, and count to ten till it hit 5K.. and could not count to one from 5 to redline!

Also had the longer swing arm from the drag bike... started life on a kz750. Shock angle was extreme enough it lowered the back a couple inches, and the forks up in the trees about an inch and a half (clip obs on top the trees) So it even handled even worse!  But , man, what a ride. 

2/26/22 7:28 p.m.

I don't think I've made any changes since the last post except add Ipone Strawberry scented 2T oil. I fired it up to run it through the oil pump today. Once the Kawasaki racing oil was out of the lines, the neighborhood started smelling delicious. 6 more weeks and I'm hoping to  be back on pavement.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
2/26/22 9:38 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

Never cared for the ipone smell myself , was raised on Castrol(although I admit I run amxoil syn now). Man I like the look and sound of that bike though. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
2/27/22 8:05 a.m.

Greta be damned, I love the smell and sound of a strong 3 cylinder two stroke.

GasTungstenArc
GasTungstenArc Reader
2/28/22 8:28 a.m.

I have long wanted one of these, specifically an H2, but this is close and surely a lot of fun.  I was shopping for one again when I found my GS1100GL and went for that instead because the price was much better.  The H2 prices have gone goofy, so I'll have to live through you.  

4/16/22 5:01 p.m.

Spring has sprung...enough for me at least. Went bigger on pilots and it's running great. Still freaking love it. I don't know why I gravitate to this bike early in the season but it's so small and maneuverable that I feel more comfortable on this with some gravel in spots.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/16/22 5:23 p.m.

That's an amazing photo. I freaking love your bike too.

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
4/16/22 7:22 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

Spring has sprung...enough for me at least. Went bigger on pilots and it's running great. Still freaking love it. I don't know why I gravitate to this bike early in the season but it's so small and maneuverable that I feel more comfortable on this with some gravel in spots.

This is amazing...don't have one, but love these none the less...my Two Stroke Jones are RD400's/RZ350.....good on you even at this time of the year unbelievable ...please be safe 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rFbnvAKNx7okWU8P1UTg8ourKK5tzBsdRbhYAXMwGWdZIw6cR3OeriaooodoBoLh