1 ... 12 13 14 15
jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
2/19/20 11:17 p.m.

The table looks great.   I really like the asymmetry of the top. I think running a matching piece of wood along the vertical face against the top outside piece of wood would be a cool way to finish it off. 

are you going to stain /seal the wood?  Paint or clear the frame?

and I always like seeing progress on the truck

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
2/20/20 10:52 a.m.

Plan is to paint the frame all black. About half of it is already painted (from when this project started - this was a headboard surround that I built and we couldn't find a use for), the rest will be soon.

Not sure on the wood, I'll leave that up to the lady. She had/has been talking about one of these for a while, and I got this far on materials I had around anyway. She can hopefully decide final finish technique. 

Are you saying run a piece that covers the exposed edge, and drops down further? Or picks up below that edge and drops down some?

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
2/20/20 4:19 p.m.

easier to try and draw it on the pic   The near side shows it better than the far side

I was born to draw, so please don't be discouraged if you simply cannot achieve results like this...

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
2/26/20 8:06 a.m.

Ahh, I see what you mean. At the moment I'm just trying to get it to a point I can call done, but future woodwork would probably make it look very nice.

I did get back out in the garage and get some work done over the weekend. New floor pan is closer to done - had lady CJ help me roll some beads in the floor - after some trimming, and some bending the oil canning is about gone. More old floor cut out and it fits fairly well! I am thinking I'll overlap some right at the back edge, since that joint should always be dry. The bend up at the front needs a little more work to meet the floor bracing, but it's close.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/26/20 8:11 a.m.

I like seeing progress on this truck. That floor panel looks awesome!

RacetruckRon
3/9/20 4:19 p.m.

How's that trans tunnel looking?

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
3/9/20 8:30 p.m.

Haven't much touched the truck since the last post! Had family up for a busy weekend, traveled for 3 days last week and was mostly useless when I got back, other than grabbing the $100 Miata from Deadskunk to be my DD. Gotten ~15 hours in on that in the last 3 or so days, but just about squared away there and ready to get back to the truck (again).

I'm debating how I did this floor pan, and whether or not I should Re-do this side the way i want to do the driver's side, after doing this side - 1 piece running the length of the door sill, and a separate piece with true "folds" in the floor replicating the factory floor.

Leaning towards rolling with what I've got - if only for the sake of getting something done - and fixing it later if I hate it (I won't fix it later :) )

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/10/20 2:11 p.m.

"Perfection is the enemy of progress" NOHOME

Roll with it. Its not structural, and keeps the outdoors out.  Still a great project.

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
3/11/20 8:02 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

That exact quote has helped me get as far as I have. I sweat the details to a fault on this truck, so it is nice to have something to think of to drive past that and just get things closer to done!

RacetruckRon
7/7/20 9:11 a.m.

I was thinking about this truck last night. Have you made an progress on it recently?

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
7/7/20 9:20 a.m.

Lol, no. I was starting in a new role at work when Covid hit, working some with international folks, so I have spent a good bit of my time trying to get up to speed/be good at the new role. I also put a solid few weekends into the $100 Miata, and have done a good bit of traveling on weekends (including getting married - 2 months delayed, but 6 months ahead of our initial "reschedule" date). I have been cleaning up and cleaning out the garage, and actually went back out last night to set up the floor pan again. I am hoping to get a few hours in during the nights this week in prep for welding in the floor pan Friday night, don't have the time to keep messing around here without making progress!

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
7/7/20 10:46 a.m.

In reply to classicJackets :

Congrats on the Wedding !

RacetruckRon
7/7/20 11:22 a.m.

In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

Congrats dude! We were in the same boat, we canceled our big wedding in August and ended up doing something really small 2 weeks ago.  

Looking forward to seeing more progress on this thing, a half hour a day even goes a long way. I've been working from home since mid March and spend most of my lunches in the garage chipping away at the truck.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
8/9/20 7:20 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Congrats dude! We were in the same boat, we canceled our big wedding in August and ended up doing something really small 2 weeks ago.  

Looking forward to seeing more progress on this thing, a half hour a day even goes a long way. I've been working from home since mid March and spend most of my lunches in the garage chipping away at the truck.

Something small worked out really well, and definitely beats waiting an indefinite amount of time! Congratulations to you guys!

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
8/9/20 7:30 p.m.
classicJackets (FS) said:

I am hoping to get a few hours in during the nights this week in prep for welding in the floor pan Friday night, don't have the time to keep messing around here without making progress!

I was so optimistic. Continued summer things (light travel, house projects, drinking beer in the backyard after long days of work) have slowed me down. On top of that, the Mrs. and I found out that we'll be having a baby early next year! Definitely good news, but it means that projects around the house get hit with some priority in making sure things will be done (ideally before winter). 
This weekend I took some good time to get back out there, though. We've had a few fairly heavy rains, where I go outside and end up finding ~1/4" of water covering most of the garage floor. I cannot abide. 

Dug out a ~12" deep trench, maybe 6-8" wide the length of the garage yesterday and filled it with probably 5-600 lbs of gravel. I hope this helps with the drainage! I managed to remove several large chunks of concrete that were in the ground right outside the slab as well.

I've also been adding some more vertical structure to the garage in preparation for replacing the sill plates. I'm screwing in the top end, and nailing in the bottom. Most of the nails don't hold on to anything in the current sill plate, and I have been able to just scrape away a lot of rotted wood.

I did manage a little bit of time on the truck. Cleaned up the mounting pad and cut it out of the test piece I used to make the depression. I will spot/plug weld it to the underside of the floor pan once everything is fully aligned in the truck. 

Last, my motivation lately is opening the garage door to this pile of E36 M3 in the bed and being excited to have to remove all of it to go for a drive.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
8/10/20 7:17 p.m.

Wife is on a work trip thru Thursday, so it should be pretty easy to just bounce between projects. This evening I started drilling out the metric buttload of holes I'll plug weld to the factory floor reinforcements for the floor pan, and on the kick panel as well. 

I also, for the first time in a long time, started putting metal back in - the kick panel first. I have several more holes to drill, and then the floor pan should be about ready to go too. Should be this week, realistically.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/20 10:29 a.m.

outstanding!

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
8/11/20 11:22 a.m.

Lookin’ good!

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
8/11/20 8:19 p.m.

Small stuff today. Rest of the holes drilled in the floor pan, a good bit more "fettling" done, but still more to go. 

Old vs new

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
8/12/20 9:24 p.m.

Welds on the floor began Tonight! Many more to go.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
12/26/20 9:07 p.m.

Aaaaand 4.5 months later, basement is finished, nursery reno is complete, trim work in the house has been finished, baby classes have been taken.. So, as "caught up" as can be on that side of things!

I was gifted 2 heaters for birthday/Xmas from my parents And the in-laws (must be clear what I need!). Today I patched some of the rotting wall in the garage and fired both heaters up to knock out the second/final floor patch on passenger side. Patch is made, I'll get it welded in tomorrow.

Before:

During:

After:

I have cleaned up and finished welding most of the initial patch, so about ready to seam sral that as well - planning on Liquid Nails, as Patrick had mentioned in a thread from years ago. I'm desperately hoping to get the floor together before going back to work. Once the cab is mostly watertight I will feel good pushing it out and doing more major work on the Bugeye. I'd like to finish sheet metal work and run fuel/exhaust on the Courier, and hear the Bugeye run before the baby comes mid-February, so the time crunch is real. More soon!

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
12/29/20 8:55 p.m.

Finished up the passenger side yesterday, and got rolling on the driver's side today. It's overall in worse shape than the other side, but there are patches that are a little bit better/more saveable too. 

I'm going to do this side in a few more pieces than I did the passenger side, and will probably do some flanging and overlap/spot welding versus butt welding like I did so far.

Highlighted the green/red for good and bad areas below. It's better in the middle, but worse at the rear of the cab - I think that'll be a harder area to reach and patch.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
12/30/20 9:54 a.m.

Floor patches look good!

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
12/30/20 6:06 p.m.

In reply to Racingsnake :

Thanks! Made some progress removing the driver's floor today, and got started on one patch. Lots more to come out, but a lot of this has been easier to cut the spot welds with a cutting disc/peel it back than use the spot weld cutting drill bits I never to keep breaking..

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
1/1/21 5:43 p.m.

More metal cut out, 1 more patch made. This one was a little interesting, and I made it in 2 pieces cause I knew I would never get the curves right as one. 

Next picture Shows the next pieces that I need to get out. I'm not entirely sure how I'll get the old metal out, but I really don't think I can leave it there. 

1 ... 12 13 14 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5FN075pd17KWV05NSEhzUeAaB1uGevT7JilL2rGqhLya3UPlRftr5idBPiIha3k7