1 ... 11 12 13
GasTungstenArc
GasTungstenArc Reader
4/14/22 11:01 a.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

New expectations have been set, you know what to do devil

That's my friend Christian.  He also has a lot of track videos put up of this K swapped X.  I built a shift linkage for him about a year and a half ago to replace the cobbled Rube Goldberg device that the previous fabricator had built for that swap.  It's a pre-me MWB swap car.  

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
4/14/22 11:33 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I did. I don't recall the device I used, but it's a commercially available knock system that was a crude looking black box with a few LEDs and a headphone jack. Maybe two rotary knobs. Anyway, I did a little tuning with it and never really detected any appreciable knock where I was getting a reasonable spark advance, so I concluded it wasn't a particularly knock prone engine and didn't test much with it before returning the box to its owner. I have intentions of wiring up a simple knock light off my sensor, but haven't done much else. It is inconclusive if my sensor location is adequate or if the engine just wasn't prone to knock, but I did get into what seemed like knock once or twice and felt a reasonable amount of confidence in it. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/22 11:47 a.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

I think the black boxes are simply an audio amplifier with maybe some filters for normal knock frequencies. I've seen a couple people just run them to the mic in port of their laptops and use the laptop sound card to do the same work. That's what I'd plan to do, but I still need to mount a sensor.

I'm seeing some gm sensors that are already npt, but apparently 3/8ths instead of 1/8. Booo.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/14/22 12:27 p.m.

oooooh, this sensor for 4.0l jeeps looks like a darn good start. Maybe just needs a bit of work to adapt the stud. 

Part image

ian sane
ian sane GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/14/22 2:21 p.m.

I had no idea this amazing thing was local to me. Impressive work.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
4/14/22 3:49 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

oooooh, this sensor for 4.0l jeeps looks like a darn good start. Maybe just needs a bit of work to adapt the stud. 

Part image

You just blew my mind that someone makes an adapter for a knock sensor. And how cool that my homebrew solution mirrors that of a commercial option I've never even seen! 

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
4/14/22 3:49 p.m.

In reply to ian sane :

We're practically neighbors. I really admire your work and appreciate the compliment! 

GasTungstenArc
GasTungstenArc Reader
4/20/22 11:05 a.m.

Since the title of this thread ends with "this is all your fault, GRM," I'm going to say it here.  This and the other X1/9 thread have pushed me over the edge.  I made a deposit on a '79 yesterday.  The seller is going to drop the engine since all I want or need is a roller for an engine swap.  I'd like an early model with the honeycomb grille and short engine cover, but you can't always get what you want.  

Thanks to GRM and XWeb.  Look at the fine mess you've gotten me into.  

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/20/22 11:25 a.m.
GasTungstenArc said:

Don't blame them, you know exactly what you're getting into!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/20/22 12:16 p.m.

In reply to Hasbro (Forum Supporter) :

Hey!!! Good to see you sir.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/20/22 12:25 p.m.
GasTungstenArc said:

Since the title of this thread ends with "this is all your fault, GRM," I'm going to say it here.  This and the other X1/9 thread have pushed me over the edge.  I made a deposit on a '79 yesterday.  The seller is going to drop the engine since all I want or need is a roller for an engine swap.  I'd like an early model with the honeycomb grille and short engine cover, but you can't always get what you want.  

Of course you did! Congrats, hope you document the build or at least show us some of how you go about the build.

GasTungstenArc
GasTungstenArc Reader
4/20/22 1:14 p.m.

In reply to dherr (Forum Supporter) :

I will create a thread here and show what there is to show.  Just be ready for me to bitch about how my thread doesn't get me enough attention and admiration--or too much.  Whatever I get, I'll bitch about it.  smiley

GasTungstenArc
GasTungstenArc Reader
4/20/22 1:24 p.m.
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) said:
GasTungstenArc said:

Don't blame them, you know exactly what you're getting into!

I do.  It's my fault for clicking threads.  But the truth is that I've never gotten these cars out of my blood, even though eight years have passed since I worked on one.  Well, while visiting a friend and former customer in Texas in 2018, I got to drive the first MWB K20 swap I built.  That kinda relit the fuse.  

1 ... 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iHQAtFQEtKQl6V0fSb27AemncOEXv2BAvCOaaVDPHMW7wHvO6vaFHCZx9e5DnI7u