1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25
java230
java230 Dork
6/23/16 2:44 p.m.

OK Doo Wop rally is a couple hours south of me in September, I will try to get the weekend off to volunteer!

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/23/16 3:35 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Gut reaction here is to buy a running, driving FC, yank the motor for this one, and start caging the new shell/building my old motor. Or just buy one of the prepped cars I've been eyeing for months now (Merkur/Volvo).

I think Jason Smith's volvo is still available and he has a ton of wheels/spares/etc that come with it for a pretty reasonable cost (IMO).

Burrito
Burrito Dork
6/23/16 3:47 p.m.
java230 wrote: OK Doo Wop rally is a couple hours south of me in September, I will try to get the weekend off to volunteer!

I'm planning on being there, too. Haven't seen or heard anything about a MotoRally class, but I'm eager to try it. I'll be there to spectate either way.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
6/23/16 4:15 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote:
java230 wrote: In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: Weld it up, bash it more! EDIT: Watching SS3, thats what my truck was built for, bombing roads like that.... But its too tall for them to let me run anything.... Oh well. Damn that looks fun. I need to try this.
You could run sweep- at this event it was a group of Ford Raptors and one FJ Cruiser.

I just remembered- Anders was cruising service on Saturday looking for (I think) a combo car and a person to drive it. I'm sure they can use the help.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
6/25/16 1:07 p.m.

Did some damage assessment today. Wire exhaust cradle still there!

I used nothing but my hands and got the light bar off in pieces:

Here's some evidence of the leading edge of the airbox breaking:

Hmm, I wonder how much dirt actually got into the intake?
We honestly would have been better off with no intake tubing at all.

This side of the battery isn't so bad, just a big ding and one dent where the ratchet strap went:

Here's the corner that actually got in a fight with the pulley:

Rear hoop support/shock tower cracking:

Cowl cracking:

More cowl cracking:

Some wheel well cracking too:

This is why we seam weld- at least if I build another FC I know where to gusset/reinforce things. The rear shock towers are making their way upwards and the entire nose of the car is trying to break itself off. I'll patch this stuff but I'm well aware that this chassis is on its' last legs.

I also ordered an engine hoist so that I can yank the engine and see what happened. I'm talking to the Merkur guy (actually, waiting for him to respond again beyond "I have it, what do you want?") and trying to figure out what I'll do with this car- it could certainly rally again, but I know I'm going to keep breaking the chassis... maybe it needs to move on to a beginner who might be a bit more timid when it comes to flying the car.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
6/25/16 1:15 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: Gut reaction here is to buy a running, driving FC, yank the motor for this one, and start caging the new shell/building my old motor. Or just buy one of the prepped cars I've been eyeing for months now (Merkur/Volvo).
I think Jason Smith's volvo is still available and he has a ton of wheels/spares/etc that come with it for a pretty reasonable cost (IMO).

I can't find the thing now- where is it listed?

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
6/25/16 1:49 p.m.

Here but it is showing as Sold:

Rally FS - Facebook - Volvo

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
6/25/16 2:33 p.m.

In reply to NGTD:

Just as well- for the same money as the Merkur it looks like a way slower/less prepped car.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
6/25/16 3:42 p.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

Yup, the Merkur looks like a way better deal.

java230
java230 Dork
6/25/16 6:12 p.m.

Damn that's a lot of splitting. Hopefully it patches up ok....

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/25/16 6:42 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote:
irish44j wrote:
I can't find the thing now- where is it listed?

I'll put you in touch with him. Not sure if he has it "listed" anywhere per se.

EDIT: check your facebook messenger, I linked you up with him.

EDIT EDIT: nevermind, guess I should read down first lol

BTW, just to throw it out there, I bet Alp would be willing to sell his (logbooked) e30. Talk to Ozgur about it if for some strange reason you're interested. Alp already tried to sell it right after WMWR but Steve Nichols decided not to for one reason or another. Yeah....it's an e30. It is rust free, as I recall, though. And already caged.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
6/25/16 7:03 p.m.

I think you look good with a Merkur

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/25/16 10:05 p.m.

I'm not sure if Chris can drive a car that looks that nice

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
6/26/16 12:29 p.m.

Exhaust carnage:

Reattaching the front of the car:

I also pulled the coilovers apart- no major damage but it looks like the stock rubber tops are on their way out already on all four

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/26/16 12:39 p.m.

when you put the coilovers back together, suggest you jack them up to max height, lol...

For the cowl repairs, thought about maybe adding some plating to help reinforce things?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
6/26/16 12:43 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Definitely will go higher when I put it back together... unless of course I decide to revert the car to LeMons/Chumpcar trim and sell it

java230
java230 Dork
6/26/16 1:13 p.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

Oh thinking of putting it back together and selling already?

Thoughts on rwd/fwd for rally? Fwd cars seem to be cheaper.... But I haven't done much fwd on gravel

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/26/16 2:04 p.m.
java230 wrote: In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: Oh thinking of putting it back together and selling already? Thoughts on rwd/fwd for rally? Fwd cars seem to be cheaper.... But I haven't done much fwd on gravel

Depends on if you like oversteer or understeer

Most of your RWD car options tend to be older (e30, Volvos, RX7, etc) unless you want to spring for a BR-Z or something. For FWD you're not going quite as old in most cases....the old stuff is like old VW Golfs, but seems to me that most FWD stuff out there are newer cars (Focus, Fiesta, etc). Not sure that I'd agree with your "RWD more expensive" thought....IDK what Chris paid for his (already caged), but several of us started with $1000-2000 e30s, and old Volvos are DIRT cheap to find stock and not difficult to cage thanks to squareness, space inside, and 4 doors.

All in all it depends what you want, really. I don't think the cost thing factors in unless you're talking about new stuff.

95maxrider
95maxrider New Reader
6/26/16 3:22 p.m.

Damn Chris, that's some pretty serious cracking you've got going on there! I vote for the Merkur!

java230
java230 Dork
6/26/16 4:35 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Fair enough, i was looking at already logbooked cars.

There is a geo metro that piqued my interest. All 95 hp of it. (that kinda scares me as its nearly nothing....)

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/26/16 4:58 p.m.
java230 wrote: In reply to irish44j: Fair enough, i was looking at already logbooked cars. There is a geo metro that piqued my interest. All 95 hp of it. (that kinda scares me as its nearly nothing....)

Probably not a whole lot less than some of the older VW Golfs have lol.

Yeah, for caged stuff that may be the case - perhaps because once you have a RWD rally car, you don't want to sell it FWD seems to be more of an "arms race".

Alternately, if you want RWD logbooked car, I know a guy who will give you a screamin' deal on a Mazda RX-7.

java230
java230 Dork
6/26/16 5:18 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Ha I think I know of that guy. but he's on the wrong coast....

That Volvo I threw the pics up of is only a hundred miles or so.... But he wants 10k. There are only a few stage rallies locally, 10k is a big buy in.

Sorry for the thread jack Chris!

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/26/16 6:08 p.m.
java230 wrote: In reply to irish44j: Ha I think I know of that guy. but he's on the wrong coast.... That Volvo I threw the pics up of is only a hundred miles or so.... But he wants 10k. There are only a few stage rallies locally, 10k is a big buy in. Sorry for the thread jack Chris!

Feel free to jack my build thread lol.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
6/26/16 7:07 p.m.
irish44j wrote: IDK what Chris paid for his (already caged), but several of us started with $1000-2000 e30s, and old Volvos are DIRT cheap to find stock and not difficult to cage thanks to squareness, space inside, and 4 doors. All in all it depends what you want, really. I don't think the cost thing factors in unless you're talking about *new* stuff.

$1200, caged, with seats and a logbook.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
6/26/16 7:10 p.m.
java230 wrote: In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: Thoughts on rwd/fwd for rally? Fwd cars seem to be cheaper.... But I haven't done much fwd on gravel

If you have no preference, it seems like 2wd cars are priced more on prep level than which two wheels are driven. If I were going fwd, I'd probably go with something like that Metro, basically trying to emulate an original Mini without actually having to pay for one.

1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZFyUzqvkbLxVqylj0cF9N0TRzj0yyf0p6ggVLY15I3N0RbwLWIkx1tcydMKKJDpH