1 ... 21 22 23
monkslayer
monkslayer New Reader
2/23/17 7:07 a.m.

In reply to de80q: Cheers for all the information! You have been quite helpful! Don't mind me if i get back to you with more questions!

de80q
de80q Reader
6/24/18 2:55 p.m.

It's been a long time since you posted.  What's happening with the 2 4kq's?

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
2/24/19 10:00 a.m.
de80q said:

It's been a long time since you posted.  What's happening with the 2 4kq's?

well, not much other than stacking miles on the red car (i commute around 1000 miles a week)

those who may remember years ago i had my cracked manifold repaired at a local shop.  they wound up brazing it which didn't last in the long haul. in the end i was able to just peel the brass away with a hammer and flathead

i robbed the exhaust manifold off the black car and about two weeks later the crack had turned into a hole and i am now worse off. 

im going to try and repair my original manifold with some 72/77 welding rod that i purchased from muggyweld.  never used this product but willing to give it a go.  a tubular manifold for a 10vt is an expensive investment along with tracking down and buying an aftermarket cast piece like the old dialynx manifold. 

other than that my audi activities have consisted of driving a ton and acquiring a couple doners for my swb dreams. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
2/24/19 11:30 a.m.

What's the mostly black two-door sedan?  Can't read that badge on the back, "545"?  Curious what you have in mind.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
2/24/19 2:20 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

its called a 5+5.  audi B2 type 81. i'll probably just use it as a ratty commuter for awhile. maybe chop it in half one day wink

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/24/19 4:06 p.m.

I'm so glad to see this back. I've read this tread several times over as Lil Stampie is getting his 4000CS next weekend. I showed him your fender mods and he said wow that looks factory. That's high praise coming from him. 

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq HalfDork
2/24/19 7:15 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

thanks! i know my flares aren't perfect but i learned alot the first go around and i just might try it again one day. i think its one of the best visual mods you can do to an audi B2

de80q
de80q Reader
2/24/19 10:07 p.m.

Nice to see an update!  I've tried brazing one of these manifolds before, and it didn't work for me either.  The one that is currently on my 10vt I welded with dyeco supercast stick rod.  I have not used the rod you picked up, but I have heard good things about it.  Just remember preheat and hot heat will help a lot.  You will also want to find a way to cool it very slowly.  I  burried mine in a 55 gallon drum filled with sand over the weekend.  It was still over room temp when I came back to work on Monday night.  

I don't remember if you used a manifold spacer on this one, but I will say the the dylinex manifold will not fit with it.  I've know a couple people that have tried.  If you space it out the same amount, I think it would then.  As you said though, hard to find, and expensive when you do.  Oh, and the 2 piece manifold crack just as bad at the one piece.  I have one sitting in my garage, and decided not to fix it.  Instead, a friend of mine who built my exhaust, offered to make a stainless tubular factory placement manifold.  So far the pics I have gotten look great.

1 ... 21 22 23

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PHRE0EcBN3wbylDtYPtLMSatfRygugrERQRSshoiu0yLpl2GaHBxxSW8DXp2guka