1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
7/18/13 12:47 p.m.

So when are we going to be honored with the presence of Gearhead and the Mullet?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/18/13 1:04 p.m.

'Gearhead and the Mullet' sounds like a 70's movie or a comic book I like it.

Heading south on the 26th, could be convinced to make a stop along 75 for some reason....

Gearheadotaku
7/23/13 10:27 p.m.

Progress continues. Front bumper painted and mounted, 16" wheels (a $50 CL score) and the all important beverage containment system! (factory cupholder was missing, I used an existing hole. Relax purist's it's temporary)

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/24/13 1:55 p.m.

This thing is an 80s dream car.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/24/13 4:06 p.m.

Approved!

SEADave
SEADave Reader
7/24/13 4:30 p.m.

DAMN that looks great. I have always wanted a 5-speed 3rd gen Firebird. Extra special bonus points for doing the 5-speed swap yourself.

Gearheadotaku
8/3/13 8:46 p.m.

So road trip from Detroit to Atlanta went just fine. Nearly 26mpg @75 with the A/C blowing! Granted that was a purely highway tank of gas, mountian road hooning and city traffic was about 21. Still not bad. Car earned it's Dragon sticker.

midniteson
midniteson New Reader
8/4/13 2:01 a.m.

Were you able to get the sway bars off that Trans Am donor car? if not id bolt on some 36mm/24mm bars off of a WS6 car, huge gain in handling for little$

Gearheadotaku
8/4/13 9:03 p.m.

Sure did, added 700lb springs to the front with Sachs super touring struts and Gas-a-justs out back. Got a wonder bar too.

Gearheadotaku
8/19/13 8:11 a.m.

Been DD'ing the car for a couple of weeks. Nothing new for the moment, just enjoying the car! Need to Focus on some other projects for a short while, will get back into this thing mid-September or so. Where has summer gone?

Gearheadotaku
9/2/13 4:45 p.m.

Rear diff carrier came apart today, looks like the friction cones are worn out. Not sure weather to source new ones or machine these...off to 3rd gen....

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous HalfDork
9/2/13 9:23 p.m.

I didn't think you could rebuild those diffs. Probably better to try to find a Torsen from an LS Car.

Gearheadotaku
9/3/13 3:08 p.m.

They can be serviced, but requires a little Grassroots style creativity.

Gearheadotaku
9/14/13 6:18 p.m.

So, found someone to machine my diff cones. Now how does this go back together?

Had to put down my beer to take this picture. May be a mullet car, but there no Budweiser drinking 'round here!

And after many hours of fussing & cussing, success! The tires aren't great but both are spinning and you can corner with the throttle now.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/15/13 4:32 p.m.

Bwahaha yes!

Diff installed = immediate burnout to make sure it works.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/15/13 5:49 p.m.

Gearhead and the Mullet visit the Compound on the Curve.

The Firebird made the trek to my shop today, it is looking nice, very 80srrific

Gearheadotaku
9/16/13 9:14 a.m.

The diff feels tight, you can easily slide the car around, bad tires help. On ramps in the rain do require more attention now. Spinning tires in 4th gear is too easy .

Gearheadotaku
9/23/13 9:59 a.m.

1st autocross yesterday. The tires suck, but I knew that already. Rough lot, so axle tramp was an issue. Played with tire pressures a bit and the car felt pretty good. Too bad my 1st run tire smokin' spinout isn't on video . The tires and not having 350+ HP kept me off the pace, but I'm ok with that.

t25torx
t25torx Reader
9/23/13 10:36 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: 1st autocross yesterday. The tires suck, but I knew that already. Rough lot, so axle tramp was an issue. Played with tire pressures a bit and the car felt pretty good. Too bad my 1st run tire smokin' spinout isn't on video . The tires and not having 350+ HP kept me off the pace, but I'm ok with that.

What class did you end up running in?

Gearheadotaku
9/23/13 12:50 p.m.

I was in F stock. I could have run RTR, but I hate indexed classes.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/24/13 2:34 p.m.

I am really enjoying the low cost and simple nature of this build thread. I know it takes skill, invested time/work, and some cash to do this but you've taken a good start for a project car and turned it into a great driver and enthusiast car. Thanks for posting the story and such.

Quick questions:

~ How bad was the auto trans?

~ How are the power goals coming along?

Gearheadotaku
9/24/13 3:22 p.m.

The auto trans was fine, I just wanted a manual. The 700R4 I took out is about to be re-purposed in my dads Chevelle.

Power goals are sort of on hold. With the manual trans and new rear end (3.27 vs the factory 2.73), it's fairly peppy. I have removed the A.I.R. system and given it a good tune-up. Cold air intake and minor exhaust work are under way.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/24/13 3:24 p.m.

That's unfortunate. A V6 F-body is F stock? You're gonna get destroyed in F stock by the V8 Mustangs.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous HalfDork
9/24/13 4:16 p.m.

I am impressed and intrigued by your differential rebuild. Where can I find more info?

FranktheTank
FranktheTank HalfDork
9/24/13 4:39 p.m.
Harvey wrote: That's unfortunate. A V6 F-body is F stock? You're gonna get destroyed in F stock by the V8 Mustangs.

It's a 305 v-8 Granted a crappy little motor stock.... But I would not say 'destroyed'

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5uFNMWvTET85JlpPgXiNrlbWAT5fFl9motLwa9tD7osNNcMsJnEcA92zXLbkfX6q