1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/12 8:03 a.m.
teamilluminata wrote:
Woody wrote: You can see the plastic housing of the blower motor in the lower right corner of this photo. Photobucket
I have a big hole there so I guess no blower motor. What's that spare tire combination you have going on there?

It's a 14" Fuchs from a 912 with a Miata temporary spare tire that I put together last month. It trimmed 22 pounds out of the car versus the inflatable spare on the steel wheel.

Probably not a great option for your car, though...

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
12/10/12 8:53 a.m.
logdog wrote: I heard it was more of a MudX than a RallyX.

Indeed, grooving my tires paid off. I had a 20-23 second lead in MR after the 1st heat (there was no 2nd heat, cancelled due to time and conditions)

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/10/12 8:59 a.m.
fidelity101 wrote:
Indeed, grooving my tires paid off. I had a 20-23 second lead in MR after the 1st heat (there was no 2nd heat, cancelled due to time and conditions)

You only got 4 runs? Did the event last all day or did it get cancelled early?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/10/12 9:21 a.m.
logdog wrote:
fidelity101 wrote:
You only got 4 runs? Did the event last all day or did it get cancelled early?

The course was so sloppy and slow, especially early on that we just didn't have enough time to run a second heat. Plus, it was so cold and damp.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/10/12 9:28 a.m.

You will have to let us know how many quarters it takes at the car wash to clean the mud out.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/10/12 10:04 a.m.
logdog wrote: You will have to let us know how many quarters it takes at the car wash to clean the mud out.

LOL I will weigh them.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
12/10/12 1:28 p.m.

I'll have to get the videos off my friends go-pro, we did rear facing rear mount camera. I wonder if my rooster tails were bigger than yours, but then again, I can't see much from grid...

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/11/12 2:44 p.m.

Our RallyCross 911 came with some polished original Fuchs wheels in 16x6 and 16x7 in the correct offsets for the car: +35 and +23. They really shined up well with a little polish too. Not that I would ever admit to owning any polish mind you. Needless to say we are not going to rallycross 28 year old 16" polished classics like these so they have to go. They are in great shape with no evidence of cracks nor any curb rash. 100,00 mile on the car so 100,00 miles on these I guess. Tires are 205/55 and 215/50 Michelin XGT all seasons with 6/32" of even tread depth but we will sell with or without. My partner Dick put them on eBay this morning:

Porsche Fuchs Polished 16 x 6 16 x 7 Wheel Tire Set | eBay

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/13/12 8:09 a.m.
teamilluminata wrote: Sorry about taking a while to get back to everyone about the duck tail. I was out all day Saturday racing our car and when I got home, late, I was overwhelmed by requests for more information, pictures and shipping quotes. As I can't respond to everyone I've posted the duck tail on eBay as they are good at this stuff and I'm not so. Here's the link: Porsche 911 Carbon Fiber Duck Tail Getty | eBay if you have any questions let me know.

Only one day to go on this Carbon Fiber duck tail auction. let me know if you prefer a different shipping method to the one eBay quotes. Greyhound for example.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
12/16/12 2:41 p.m.

Thanks to Rob Sackyta, there are finally some photos of me in the car!

I wasn't really in it for the points, or to be competitive, I was just there to have fun. I ended up 3rd in class, thanks to a serious timing error (newbs in the timing truck) that led to 3 max time penalties. I had a TON of fun, so luckily I met my goals for the day.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
12/16/12 2:45 p.m.
teamilluminata wrote: I just had an idea in the shower this morning. The 2013 Porsche Parade is in Traverse City, only 4 hours north of us so we were planning to attend and take this car, my colleague's Carrera and the BRAID sponsored 996 up there and join the fun. Now I'm thinking would't it be fun if there was some kind of RallyCross related event as part of the festivities? This could be either: a) an actual RallyCross b) a RallyCross demonstration c) a RallyCross demonstration with ride-alongs There are at least two more RallyCrossing Porsches in the Detroit area, possibly more further afield. What do you think?

I'm in. I'm going to be at Parade in my 944 anyway, so I'll run it, why not?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/18/12 7:00 p.m.

No new developments with the car due to work commitments but some new pictures from the RallyCross have emerged courtesy of Rob Sackyta:

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
12/19/12 8:02 a.m.

Here is my take on the car, and on the event.

It was a heck of a fun time. Thanks Paul for letting me tag along.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
12/19/12 3:16 p.m.

I wish we could have done the afternoon runs, I was 20 seconds ahead in my class, I could have done 1 realllly awesome sideways run and just ace every cone

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
12/19/12 7:49 p.m.

Yeah, the afternoon would have been fast. Some of the MF guys were in the 30s.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Reader
12/20/12 10:08 a.m.

it started to become slot car racing

mrjoshm
mrjoshm New Reader
12/21/12 1:36 p.m.

i can't remember how to watch topics, so i'm posting to find this again! awesome car!

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/21/12 2:35 p.m.
mrjoshm wrote: i can't remember how to watch topics, so i'm posting to find this again! awesome car!

LOL.

Botom left. Click on the heart.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/26/12 4:34 p.m.

Not much action lately but the holidays have slowed down wheels sales, allowing us to get into the shop and take care of a few issues.

First off we added some bling with some number circles and decals. Car has to pay for it's keep after all.

Sorry the pictures are a bit naff. It was very cold and wet outside. Ths scheme is sort of temporary till we are ready to repaint the car.

Our car came with a missing windshield washer bottle. As a used replacement runs around $75 we rigged up this universal version. After blowing out the lines we now have a clean windshield :)

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/26/12 4:38 p.m.

We changed the studs in the rear to 72mm so we could run spacers. Fitment was a bit tight but after grinding a chamfer on the threaded end and an edge off the shoulder they slipped into place. We decided not to use brute force for once and selected an appropriate tool.

We are currently using a 12mm spacer which gives the 15x6.5 wheels the same effective offset as the OE 7" wheel but have enough thread left to go to 25mm if needed.

Fronts next. Longer studs but no spaces planned for now.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/26/12 4:43 p.m.

While the car was on the hoist we decided to clean the underside. A few days after the recent rallycross we took the car to the power wash station but it didn't get everything off. This is the pile of dirt we created after blowing out the nooks and crannies with an air hose.

Great Christmas present. Talk about throwing gasoline on the fire!

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
12/26/12 6:54 p.m.

just appreciate the fact that you can get the dirt off your ride with a powerwasher and air. The red clay here needs physical scrubbing to even start to come off, lol..

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/29/12 8:27 a.m.

Took the car out for a "spin" yesterday.

It did surprisingly well; lots of traction from the Firestone Winterforce tires, not much understeer except at really low speeds. Very controllable oversteer at moderate speeds. I didn't get to fully open it up though so can't comment on high speed behavior.

During my play time I did get to weigh the car at a friend's shop with his very nice wireless setup:

Here's the result with me in the driver's seat, 1/2 tank of fuel and spare tire and tools removed. Race trim.

Or, if you prefer:

How does it look?

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
12/30/12 12:07 a.m.

based on some weights I've seen, those are similar weight distributions to more recent Porsche cars. 996 is a bit more rear biased than a 997, but both were within 5% of 60 on the rear wheels.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
1/4/13 8:27 p.m.

Tomorrow's exploits:

http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frmEventDetail.Show?psevent_id=13534

Wish us luck!

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z99copfCfY59tZZZ4EKsFPrZu2scJI1qyTI83Lj2Sxxkv7uQqXf3i42Pqx01cDlx