1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
1/7/22 8:33 p.m.

Having seen what level of repairs the people on here who live with road salt have done I feel fortunate to be dealing with this.

R32Jordie
R32Jordie New Reader
1/8/22 6:14 p.m.

Thats the main reason i got rid of my 240sx and got the R32. The Canadian winters had really taken their toll on the underside and at the time R32 GTSTs were pretty much at the bottom of the depreciation curve here.  

Kudos to you for fixing it. I miss mine.

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
1/8/22 9:50 p.m.

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
1/8/22 10:01 p.m.

In reply to R32Jordie :

Congrats on the timely R32 purchase. I bought a 91 coupe roughly 5 years ago but the more I look at the body the less I Want to do that much body work. Found this car about a year and half ago. It is an example of the saying “ if you want a nice 240 body look for an auto trans car.” At the time I thought I might have paid to much but now I think I did good! I am in SE Georgia so rust here isn’t as much of an issue with local cars. However the drift damage is hard to avoid. Enjoy your car!

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/9/22 10:22 p.m.

I like your Nisfaux brace. I may steal that idea for my Conquest--same front suspension design.

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
1/10/22 9:29 a.m.

In reply to obsolete :Glad you can use the idea. Obviously I haven’t driven it yet, but it has to help. People who buy the Nismo power brace seem to think it works. Go for it!

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
1/10/22 9:30 a.m.

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
1/10/22 2:12 p.m.

Whoops. Sorry for the duplicate picture. I thought I took one after I tacked the patch in.

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
1/10/22 10:15 p.m.

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
2/10/22 9:32 a.m.

Reasons and excuses......... I had to put a oil pump and timing set in my 289k mile Silverado...... we bought a spec house and I will be lucky to do anything else for the next 2 months. More excuses to come no doubt.

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
2/10/22 9:35 a.m.

I

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
2/10/22 3:14 p.m.

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
2/10/22 3:15 p.m.

Got the front yard cleaned up. The back yard not so much yet.

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
2/10/22 9:25 p.m.

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
2/12/22 12:43 p.m.

Got out in the shop for a few minutes this morning.  I was replacing the tie rods and outer ends on the black car with some new parts that came with the car. Ran into some interesting stuff. The replacement parts did not match the tie rods and outers. I know that Z32 parts are a stronger up grade for this application. I am reasonably sure that is what come off the black car as the lighter duty replacement parts I have match what is on the gold car and my spare rack. The interesting thing was the spacers that were installed on the threaded studs on the inners. I checked the thread engagement with the spacers removed and the studs did not bottom out before the shoulder seated on the rack. This leads me the the conclusion that the spacers May be for bump steer correction. Anyone else have any experience with this before.

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/12/22 2:19 p.m.

Yeah, I've seen those before, referred to as "angle spacers" to increase steering angle for drifting. If anything, they probably make bump steer worse, but for some folks that's a worthwhile trade-off.

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
2/12/22 4:41 p.m.

Ok, that makes perfect sense. Not something I need....  Thanks for the info!!

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
2/18/22 1:07 p.m.

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
2/18/22 1:13 p.m.

A buddy of mine texted me about a Z32 in our nearest you pull it yard gabout 25 miles moth near Hinesville). Went up there yesterday morning and scored the rear calipers and uprights. I left the front calipers as the were the iron 4 pistons rather than aluminum.

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
2/26/22 9:08 p.m.

picture of the battery area repair after completion of welding.

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
2/26/22 9:54 p.m.

I had a few minutes in the shop Thursday night. Started making a few changes to accommodate the a/c condenser and radiator I am using. The spot weld tabs on either side of the core support look like they could be a little to close to the radiator so I cut them back and rewelded them. The radiator I am using is about 1/2 an inch wider than the frame rails. So it was either have the left tank shortened or notch the left frame rail. I am going with the notch. 

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
2/26/22 9:58 p.m.

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
2/26/22 10:05 p.m.

Cut lines for the notch. I do intend to do some bracing to keep or hopefully add strength.

RACEC4R
RACEC4R Reader
2/28/22 10:08 a.m.

Ugh, yeah, I had to do the same thing for the same reason. So I literally feel your pain.  Wasn't so bad though all things considered.  Lots of room to work, engine wasn't in the way.  Throw on some welding blankets, disconnect battery, disconnect PCM because I'm paranoid about welding when its connected, and go to town!  Making the patch panel and fitting radiator 100times to check fitment was the worst part.

I decided if I had to slightly modify one side, I'd just go all in and get biggest radiator I could.  More was better for me during my decision making process because I street drive/cruise often and idle for long periods of time. Coupled with the few planned track days a year, I put biggest I could so I would never overheat.  That line of thinking worked well it seems.

I did notice that when welding this steel, that it created and ULTRA bright arc compared to regular steel.  I think it has higher Boron content.  Did not effect the welds, but required me to upgrade my welding helmet (not sorry about that either).

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
2/28/22 8:08 p.m.

In reply to RACEC4R :

Thanks for the pictures and encouragement. Good to know I was not the only one to think this way. I am using an off the shelf dual pass aluminum radiator from speedway motors. The next size down in width lost 2 inches off the core. That’s 34 square inches I didn’t think I could afford to loose.  Modification to the left tank would make replacement of the radiator for any reason much more involved. Also I would like to see some pictures of your oil cooler setup if you don’t mind. Thanks, Mark.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gvUHFOjT0IfWiPtuVdTMQlss7iyar2iA7mefXdXNjNbMFOzsyiKiFbOgSY4rGeBL