1 2
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/7/20 4:02 p.m.

I am going to attempt to actually keep up a build thread and rather then have multiple build threads I am going to just shove everything into one.

At least this year expect a lot of bike and garage content, since until the garage is done I don't have a great place to work on my Civic.

Build thread for the Civic https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/93-civic-ex-smf-build/110271/page1/

Start of a build thread for garage https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/93excivics-garage-rebuild-with-some-house-stuff-thrown-in/135020/page1/

My "gravel bike" build" https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/motorcycles-and-bicycles/building-a-graveldropbar-mountain-bike/160326/page1/

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/7/20 4:07 p.m.

Currently converting the dropbar single speed mtb into a flat bar bike with an On One OG V2 bar, Shimano XT 8speed derauilluer, Sunrace 11-40, Paul Component thumbie mount with Ultegra 8 speed bar end to be a cheap townie bike. Waiting for some second hand Avid levers to get in. Added a Velo Orange Mojave bottle cage cause it will hold a 32oz growler and going to add a Wald 137 basket for quick errands.

I have a Surly Cross Check frame that I am slowly getting parts for to build a proper gravel bike with.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/13/20 9:05 a.m.

Spent the weekend starting to organize the garage which had become an absolute wreck because I hate being in it. Trying to get stuff organized into boxes and new tool chests so that I can either move them to the sunroom (which is going to act as a temporary garage for bikes and tools) or a storage locker until the new garage is built.

Before

After

Started at the back. Now need to clean up the work bench, get rid of a bunch of old paint and chemicals and stuff.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/20/20 7:29 a.m.

Bought an 04 Honda Element to be a daily driver for now and eventually a backup vehicle/ baby hauler. Pretty please with the deal $3800 with 126k miles on it. It needs a new rear bumper. I also want to add a hitch for a hitch mount bike rack, upgrade the audio cause the stock setup sucks and change tires. The car has new Primewells on it which are insanely loud.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/4/20 10:49 a.m.

Finally got the about town bike finished after finding out the chain line was pretty bad. Had to add some spacers between the cranks and chainrings.

Put up a resin shed in a temporary location until I can get the garage done so I have somewhere to store garden tools.

Gave the Element a basic tune up (K&N air filter, spark plugs, oil change, recharge A/C). Need to install hitch and find the pens or pencils or something rolling around in the interior.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/18/20 2:01 p.m.

Finished building a patina'ed pilot watch (kind of)

The case was soaked in acid (and I forgot what type) with scrap copper. The hands and dials were left in coffee grounds for a while and acrylic crystal was hit with a very very fine grit sand paper and soaked in water and curry power. I had to 3-D print a movement ring since I got the case second hand and it was missing the movement ring. The movement is a Seagull ETA 6498 clone. Strap is a custom one from Clover Straps. I however forgot to double check that there was no interference between the hands and the minute hand hits the second hand in one position so I am going to have to take it apart and adjust that.

Hitch installed on Element

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/17/20 2:37 p.m.

No had the chance to do too much exciting (just maintence on cars (new fuel pressure sensor in wife's Escape, install 1UP bike rack on Element, bit of interior cleanup on Element), organize garage a bit more). Got the pilot watch from the previous post working right. 

But started building my gravel bike.

Waiting on spokes and nipples to get in to build wheels this weekend.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/30/20 8:27 a.m.

Started lacing up my first set of bicycle wheels.

Been catching up with maintenance on the Element. New tie rods, a new axle and serpentine belt in. Just need to do the brakes and transmission fluid and it should be caught up finally.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/12/21 10:39 p.m.

Finished another watch build

Started with this watch 

https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-classic/090/vostok-watch-amphibian-classic-090914m.html

I was inspired by the Seiko Rally Diver. 

But I love Vostoks and they make a racer inspired dial. Also there are plenty of aftermarket bezels available on the internet. I bought one as well as a Seiko Rally Diver replica insert and insert adhesive off eBay. I got the dial and Komandirskie hands from asap31 on ebay (a great seller of Vostoks on ebay). And a rally strap from CheapestNATOStraps. 

Final product

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/13/21 8:36 a.m.

Been forever since I updated this thread.

Car projects.

The Element has had to have a new VTEC solenoid put on it. I also replaced the hatch struts with ones from a VW which are a bit stronger. Also got some new wheels. Buying tires next week.

The Ranger got rear ended lightly. So I had to put a new junkyard rear bumper on it. Planning on selling it once the garage is done.

On the Civic, I am just trying to get it running again in the next few weeks.

Garage

I have put a down payment on getting a new garage built, a 24x40. The old one comes down on the weekend of Aug 28. Currently salvaging bits out of the garage. Like some wood paneling to reuse for shelfs and a work bench top. Also going to take the old garage door down and sell it. The wiring in this garage is quite frankly terrifying and I am amazed it hasn't burnt down.

Bikes

Finished my Surly Cross Check gravel bike.

Frame: Second hand Surly Cross Check
Fork: Crust Segmented
Headset: Stronglight with MASH SF headset spacers
Cranks: Vintage Sugino GP cranks
BB: Tange Seiki
Drivetrain: Microshift Advent 11-46 9 speed with bar end shifter. USAMadeComponents chain ring with Wolftooth bolts
Brakes: Paul Component Klampers and Neo Retro cantis with Jagwire compressionless housing, Orgin8 Classique levers and a Onza Chill Pill
Wheels: second hand DT Swiss rear hub with Alex Adventure 2 rim. Novatech front hub with Alex Adventure 2 rim. DT Swiss spokes and brass nipples. Handbuilt
Tires: Terrevail Cannonball 700x47c Tough casing
Seatpost: old Kelin fluted with S&M clamp
Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo
Stem: Soma
Handlebars: On One Midge with Surfas bar tape and Planet Bike gel padding
Pedals: Nukeproof Horizon (now MKS Gamma)
Other stuff: Custom rack from Praire Crow Bicycle Works with Wald 137. King Cage bottle cage, Cane Bell mounted to downtube shifter boss. Campandgoslow and Party Pace stickers.

Also made some changes to my old school mountain bike now townie bike.

Swapped to a Carver 1in threadless fork with Surly 8 pack rack and IRD 1in threadless headset. Found a 1in BMX stem and got a S&M Husky bar. Maxxis DTH tires and new seatpost. S&M pedals and a Velo Orange Mojave bottle cage. About to add a fender as I found out towing my kid trailer behind it results in a very dusty kid.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/13/21 11:01 a.m.

Also working on putting together two more bikes. Marino Bikes in Peru is building custom frames for me.

First one is klunker styled 26in (cause #26ain'tdead) single speed/coaster braked build. Basically a fun bike to screw around on. Have some parts Identiti Rebate XL 1420 fork, TRP Slate T4 brakes, Relic BMX chainring, BMX chain, Eclat BMX stem, S&M Husky bars, front wheel parts (Novatch hub and Velocity Blunt 35 rim), rear coaster wheel parts (Shimano CB e110 coaster brake, Sun Ringle Ryno Lite rim, Mone Coaster cooler), Nukeproof pedals. Need dropper post, BMX cranks, saddle and regular rear wheel parts. 

Second bike is going to be rigid bikepacking/multisurface/XC bike with either 27.5 or 27.5+ wheels. Slowly collecting parts for this one.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/22/21 10:00 p.m.

Drawing out plans for the garage. Getting the demo permit for the old one tomorrow.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/26/21 9:19 a.m.

New shoes on the Element. Now needs more low at some point. 

Also got the garage door pulled out to resale. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/7/21 4:23 p.m.

And the garage is gone. 

Next a tree is coming out then the slab and ground work will happen. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/12/21 4:58 p.m.

Replaced the charcoal canister in my Element

Also added this little third brake light cover to it.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/18/21 8:56 a.m.

Slab removed from old garage. Now just the rest of the wood to be clean up and dirt work done. 

Worked on the civic some. 

Took the headliner out of the car so I can get rid of the leaking sunroof. 

Also started pulling the dash to get rid of stereo wiring and remaining A/C parts. 

There are these random switches in the car that have been added but no idea what they are for? 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/22/21 4:01 p.m.

Slab forming starting

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/24/21 1:21 p.m.

Ok so been doing some work on the civic. Pulled the steering wheel, dash, headliner. 

Unfortunately now 28 year old plastic is pretty brittle.

So have to do some repair there. 

Got stereo and sunroof wiring out plus surprisingly heavy oh E36 M3 handle and a random metal plate in the steering column cover.

Apparently the airbag hasn't been connected the entire time I have owned the car. Total weight of all that 12.4lbs. I have a Personal Emerson Fittipaldi steering wheel to go back in. Waiting on ASR hub. 

Still to come out the A/C evap, airbag wiring and sunroof. Waiting on a fiberglass plug from Franks custom fiberglass. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/3/21 10:44 p.m.

Should mention I have decided to run the new XSB class with the Civic rather then SMF.

Gutted the rear interior panels, ash trays, cigarette lighter, the evap core and airbag wiring and module. Total weight out-16.9 lbs out.

Also added lightening holes to dash and metal support. 

Also slab poured for garage.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/4/21 11:07 a.m.

In my old thread on the Civic, I had weighed it at

In that thread I had removed 36.8lb. So far in this one I have removed 29.3lb. That puts me at around 2213lbs. Well over the 2000lb minimum weight for XSB.

Plans are to remove the sunroof, swap to manual wind doors with LRB aluminum door panels, racing seats, lightweight hood, mirrors and fenders. There is some more stuff to strip out of the interior. But it may be a real struggle to get it that light (especially since I want to add in a roll bar plus rear discs and a rear swaybar) and also keep it not completely terrible to use on the road.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/16/22 12:02 a.m.

I am really bad at updating this.

The interior is out of the Civic to get the sound deadening out. Removed the the firewall sound deadening and remaining airbag parts for a total of 7.9lbs. Also been preparing the sunroof block off panel.

The garage has had a lot of progress. The door is on it and the ramp is finished. Need to get the guy doing the dirt work to move it along. Also going to start building the interior walls soon.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/29/22 4:01 p.m.

Starting to build my single speed. Order spokes to build the wheels last night.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
6/22/22 1:42 p.m.

Been working on the garage slowly and putting up the interior wall and gutters are on.

Been working on the Civic some. Pulled 19.4lbs of sound deadening out. Still have a tiny bit left but ran out of dry ice. So that combined with the sound deadening from a previous post should put the car at 2186lbs. 186lbs to go is going to be tricky.

Also starting to prep the interior for spray paint since XS rules say that the interior behind the b pillar must be covered or painted. Painted some interior brackets that had some surface rust with rust converter paint and some other small spots.

Also been painting the sunroof patch panel to go in.

On the Element, I installed a cat converter protector.

Also bought Aerogenics rear camber kit and SC rear swaybar adaptors, a Blaupunkt head unit, Injen air intake and some parts for an eventual manual swap.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/2/22 5:04 p.m.

The audio has never been great in my Element. Since it is an EX, it has a 7 speaker system with amp and subwoofer. I order 4 Focal door speakers and a Kicker 6.75 sub off Crutchfield to fit in the stock spots.

I pulled the speaker grills of the doors.

And some stuff falls out.

Well there is the problem. The suspension around the membrane is gone. 

The sound is a billion times better now.

I have a Blaupunkt head unit to install later but don't have any of stuff to splice together harness up here at my parents place so I will do it next weekend.

Friday the passenger side rear door handle broke so ordered a replacement from Majestic Honda. Also order new bushings and a SC swaybar.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/25/22 10:04 a.m.

On the garage finally finished the interior walls.

Also got some road side upper kitchen cabinets, that I will fix up a bit to use in garage office.

On the Civic, finished pulling the sound deadening and some brackets. Also painting the interior.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FeaPXCeTtJGiw2poDpCN2j6rRNR9L7oE43ZZu8BwMonWMIJMT5lEUdhIR1HS4ksv