1 2 3 4 5
2GRX7
2GRX7 New Reader
6/9/16 10:28 p.m.

Yes, it was! I ended going there during a couple of races at Newbridge Rd. Park (ABA track was there) for replacement parts. I was lucky enough to have a well-stocked bmx store closer to me in Garden City South. It's still there, but under new management.

OH, and you are WRONG to place that Hutch link up there all willy-nilly like that! Now I've got to "find" $500.00 from somewhere!

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
6/10/16 11:49 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Good call on the Hutch. They're back now.

Oh lord did I NOT need to see this. Hutch was the "way outta my price range" bike when I was a kid. I literally got chills seeing an update version available.

Ugh.

-Rob

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/12/16 4:22 p.m.

Hey, a quiet day to work on the bike. And, yes, I'm doing the work in my home office.

A lot of BMXers now run really small rear gears, but the Tuff Wheel is threaded to accept a 16-tooth (or larger) traditional freewheel. I stuck with ACS since I have had good luck with them in the past. It's a 16-tooth gear.

IMG_1262

David S. Wallens
6/12/16 4:27 p.m.

Yeah, maybe a bit too much grease on the seat post.

IMG_1268

I'm not sure if that seat post clamp is forever. I'd like to find something that looks a bit more old-school. For now, it's close enough.

The seat post is a fluted model from SE. The retro seat comes from them, too. I already had the seat. (And, yes, I wear pink headphones. They were on sale at Target.)

IMG_1265

And should I get thirsty during a ride, the seat is properly equipped.

IMG_1298

David S. Wallens
6/12/16 4:30 p.m.

This is what really stopped us the other day: My friend's 1/4-inch hex key walked away.

IMG_1275

Now that I could attach the handle bars (chrome S&M Slam) I could stick on the brake lever. Check it out: Dia Compe put their old Tech 3 levers back into production.

IMG_1280

David S. Wallens
6/12/16 4:33 p.m.

I'm a huge fan of Shimano DX pedals and had a set back in the day. Today real ones are pricy.

Modern interpretations exist, and I have them on my other bikes. To me, these Haros looks more like the originals than anything else. I went with blue to give the bike one more bit of color.

IMG_1291

I debated rat traps since some guys (like Bob Haro and Bob Morales) were still running them in 1983. I'd really rather not ride on rat traps, though.

Since I don't have a proper pedal wrench, the pedals are loose at the moment--like just about everything else on the bike right now.

David S. Wallens
6/12/16 4:34 p.m.

I need to hook up the brakes. I think we left the cable sheath a bit too long. Since I don't have the proper cutters, that may wait.

IMG_1294

I wish that the brake tabs were removable so I could run caliper brakes. I'd either order some new Dia Compe MX1000s or break into my personal stash.

David S. Wallens
6/12/16 4:38 p.m.

This is where things are now. It's looking more and more like a bike. Thanks for checking it out.

IMG_1297

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/12/16 4:51 p.m.

Thats a really neat bike. Rhe only thing i see is wanting hutch freestyle bars on it. But that's what im into

David S. Wallens
6/12/16 5:00 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Thats a really neat bike. Rhe only thing i see is wanting hutch freestyle bars on it. But that's what im into

Thanks. Hutch freestyle bars are back in production, you know, but they're too new for my build. I'm aiming for 1983, where those came out a couple of years later.

I would love GHP Star Bars, but they don't seem to be in production right now. Back in the day, we ran chrome GT bars. These S&M bars are too new, too, as that company didn't exist in 1983. To make them look a bit more period-correct, I might stick on a classic S&M red and yellow shield sticker. I do like the chrome, though.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/12/16 5:48 p.m.

Yeah, i knew about the hutch bars when you posted that link....1987 is about my wheelhouse when it comes to bmx.

David S. Wallens
6/12/16 6:08 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Yeah, i knew about the hutch bars when you posted that link....1987 is about my wheelhouse when it comes to bmx.

Mine's like 1982-'86. Figure the next build might be closer to 1986 or so.

David S. Wallens
6/12/16 7:47 p.m.

Margie just suggested blue streamers.

Skywaywbluestreamers

This is why I'm not in the art department.

David S. Wallens
6/12/16 7:51 p.m.

And that's all of the bike work for today. I just wrapped up some magazine work, and now it's time for some couch work.

Thanks again for all of the interest. This has been fun.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/12/16 8:46 p.m.

Yeah, im waiting to see whatbi can get that's gonna be closest to a mike Dominguez. Aircraft pegs, aero caps, the whole bit.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/16 10:11 p.m.

I only ever had one BMX: in 1983. It wasn't anything special, just a department store piece. But it had blue plastic wheels and blue tires, so it fits into this build and I'm enjoying the read because if it.

My interest was more into riding around dirt tracks in vacant lots than racing or doing stunts, so I wasn't in to the race gear. I did have a number plate and pads of course.

I think I still have the 1983 Australian BMX review somewhere. I'll have to read it and see if the Aussies were up to date with the US.

David S. Wallens
6/13/16 5:09 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Yeah, im waiting to see whatbi can get that's gonna be closest to a mike Dominguez. Aircraft pegs, aero caps, the whole bit.

You've seen this one, right?

Hello, 1984. Let's go watch the Terminator.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/13/16 6:13 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Yeah, im waiting to see whatbi can get that's gonna be closest to a mike Dominguez. Aircraft pegs, aero caps, the whole bit.

I have a Dominguez Strike Zone frame I'm not going to use.

petegossett
6/13/16 6:16 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
You've seen this one, right? Hello, 1984. Let's go watch the Terminator.

That makes me want to try & pull off a Gumby again. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't end well...

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/13/16 6:46 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
You've seen this one, right? Hello, 1984. Let's go watch the Terminator.

Yes, and i was trying to forget about it, thankyouverymuch

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/13/16 6:46 p.m.
petegossett wrote:

Please tell me it isn't pink.

David S. Wallens
6/13/16 6:49 p.m.

Then you'll need this:

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/13/16 7:07 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Then you'll need this:

You're killing me here. Swmbo 2.0 and i met in grade school. Wr got closer when she got her license. She owned that truck in black. It took us everywhere. Tons of memories in that chassis.

petegossett
6/13/16 7:23 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
petegossett wrote:
Please tell me it isn't pink.

I had a pink one BITD. It's actually been a while since I looked at it, IIRC it was originally the light-ish blue color, but had been spray painted black at some point.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/13/16 7:34 p.m.

You and i may need talk about that once I'm situated in my new new place.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SXxqu5DxeoDznyJlBWDbXd5AwVxoTI2QT4eepSDQRRmeND4qgQWZCphU7EPlignf