1 2 3 4 5
petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/13/16 9:11 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

I'll bring it back to MS with me next trip so it'll at least be closer. I really need a reason to get over to the Challenge eventually anyway, and since the likelihood of me completing a project car is pretty slim maybe a BMX-related reason would be close enough.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/13/16 9:30 p.m.

Bring the bike to the Challenge. We can compare notes.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/14/16 12:04 a.m.

Id drive to gainesville for a bike frame.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/14/16 5:52 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Bring the bike to the Challenge. We can compare notes.

I should probably start a post in the classifieds...I also have a mid-school Powerlite frame/fork/bars, an early-90's Dyno BMX bike, some 90's Haro 3-piece cranks, and several mounted/autographed 80's freestyle tour posters.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
6/14/16 6:45 a.m.

This is a fun thread. I just ordered a set of flat pedals for my commuter bike, which has exactly zero to do with this besides being a bike thread. I wanted the VP Harriers for the giant platform, but the LBS couldn't get them till July and they wanted $$$, so I settled on a pair of Fyxation Mesa MPs like this:

should be fun on an army green drop bar bikepacking rig.

David S. Wallens
6/14/16 8:01 a.m.

It's amazing how that original Shimano DX shape keeps evolving.

Rant now offers a similar design to those pink ones above.

David S. Wallens
6/17/16 8:58 p.m.

Speaking of pedals, a tiny bit of progress. Work stopped because my Craftsman 15mm wrench is too thick to tighten the pedals. Today I came across the 15mm wrench that came with my Linus.

Ta-da, it fits my Haro pedals:

IMG_4773

Hopefully I can button it up tomorrow.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/17/16 9:52 p.m.

God that's nice.

David S. Wallens
6/17/16 10:39 p.m.

Thanks.

David S. Wallens
6/17/16 10:41 p.m.

And for a follow-up, this is still so tempting:

David S. Wallens
6/17/16 10:43 p.m.

Or this:

David S. Wallens
6/19/16 4:40 p.m.

Last night was supposed to be our group gathering at the local skatepark, but we were rained out. Things dried out later that evening, but the park was closed for the night.

So someone worked on her 360s in the parking lot. You can click the link to see it.

So I spur of the moment decided to try a hop 3 and landed it first try
David S. Wallens
6/19/16 4:43 p.m.

We worked on the bike some, too. Check it out, a chain:

IMG_1309

It totally looks 1983. Back then, the cool thing was to run a 10-speed chain. (Ironically, I guess, this is a 1/8-inch chain, not a 3/32-inch.)

David S. Wallens
6/19/16 4:46 p.m.

Chelsea dialed in the brakes, too:

IMG_1316

IMG_1313

The reissue Dia-Compe lever flexes some. So do the Tektro arms. To give the arms a bit more leverage, she reposition the pads' spacers. Doing so pulled the tops of the arms closer together, and brake action feels pretty good.

And that when we realized a small problem: The chain was slightly dragging on the seat stay.

IMG_1327

By then it was late and we were tired. Time to call it a night.

David S. Wallens
6/19/16 4:52 p.m.

The rubbing chain caught us both off-guard. Yes, I'm running a 16-tooth freewheel, which is a bit big in a world of 9-tooth cassettes. However, that's the smallest freewheel that you can stick on Skyway Tuff Wheels, and they're the ones who also made this frame.

I could move the rear wheel forwarded in the dropouts, which in theory would lower the chain height and maybe cure the problem. But did I want the wheel slammed forward? I dunno.

What about slipping a washer between the dropout and the hub?

IMG_1339

Ta da!

IMG_1332

All that's left now: installing the grips and tightening down everything.

But first, time for dinner.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Dork
6/30/16 12:10 p.m.

Finished it up yet?

I like those big hollow axles on the Tuffs. I wonder if there's a retrofit setup out there for my Peregrines?

David S. Wallens
4/7/17 4:08 p.m.
VWguyBruce wrote: Finished it up yet? I like those big hollow axles on the Tuffs. I wonder if there's a retrofit setup out there for my Peregrines?

You know, I just realized then never posted a photo of the complete bike. Sometimes I am just horrible at this stuff.

Ta da!

IMG_2049

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/7/17 8:38 p.m.

You really didn't need to do that, I don't need any more distractions!

I got on a BMX kick a few years back and rebuilt my '90 Redline

photo dd1b8534.jpg

It was really just a 'for the fun of it' project, but it sparked a want for a 24" to actually ride some. I built this shortly after finishing the '90

photo b5933a82.jpg

Now three things have come to light since seeing this thread:

1) Your retro Skyway build is badass!

2) I am reminded that I never bought those Landing Gear forks for my 24"

3) I am now obligated to strap the '90 in the back of my autoX truck for a pic like the pink mini

photo IMG_0474_zpsj2tpraci.jpg

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/7/17 11:12 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

That looks fantastic...

David S. Wallens
4/8/17 9:23 p.m.
Ransom wrote: In reply to David S. Wallens: That looks fantastic...

Thanks. Still need to take it for a real ride--I know, I know....

loosecannon
loosecannon HalfDork
4/8/17 9:54 p.m.

This thread makes me nostalgic for my old Kuwahara (with twin Haro top tubes and twin vector downtubes), CW Freestyler and GT Pro

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
4/8/17 9:59 p.m.

Bike looks cool! Don't forget what I said in the beginning of this thread about colored tires, they don't grip as well and you can find yourself on the pavement really fast.

David S. Wallens
4/9/17 11:23 a.m.
loosecannon wrote: This thread makes me nostalgic for my old Kuwahara (with twin Haro top tubes and twin vector downtubes), CW Freestyler and GT Pro

Ah, yes, the Kuwahara Exhibitionist. Because sometimes one tube of 4130 isn't enough.

loosecannon
loosecannon HalfDork
4/9/17 1:03 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
loosecannon wrote: This thread makes me nostalgic for my old Kuwahara (with twin Haro top tubes and twin vector downtubes), CW Freestyler and GT Pro
Ah, yes, the Kuwahara Exhibitionist. Because sometimes one tube of 4130 isn't enough.

THAT'S THE BIKE!! I forgot that it was called the Exhibitionist, checking e-bay now

David S. Wallens
4/9/17 7:50 p.m.

BMX Museum has an active classified forum, too. Good luck with the search.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Am2iDroWr0d8QrA3T0daOWuaYRX1HtG9UDHDw71BouYsFroAAz0zB9epNZjiABjK