914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/22/15 1:40 p.m.

A guy in my soaring club ground looped his Aeronca Champ some years ago and it's been sitting since. He was looking for someone with more free time than him to peel off the skin, take the wings apart and make it all right.

Three of us are involved, no more. We all have mechanical experience, one has built planes before including the Citabria seen in the photos. We media blasted the ribs with soda blast, then painted them with poly. All of the nuts, bolts, washers, pins, clevises (clevii?) are brand new.

Not to worry, an FAA certified inspector will be all over it at every step in the process.

Two of us are pilots, the guy with the experience is certified for gliders, multi engine, multi engine jet, pontoons and a certified instructor in power and gliders.

Why are we volunteering all this time? The owner offered to loan his plane, once finished, for us to use to attain Light Sport Certification. He pick up the insurance etc., we pay only for the gas; about 3 gallons per hour.

I don't think I would ever want a power plane, but under these terms, why not? "Honey, want to go to Lake George for lunch?" Bennington for shopping?

Fun so far, but it's convinced me that a homebuilt or kit plane is never in my future!

Dan

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/22/15 1:54 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Fun so far, but it's convinced me that a homebuilt or kit plane is never in my future!

Can I ask why you say this? (I'm toying with a kit plane project after I finish my scratch built car project).

Any "before" photos to see the damage you are repairing?

Cool project! I'm jealous

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/22/15 2:00 p.m.

The only "damage" was one crinkle on the leading edge of the right aileron. If you could see the old parts you would be nervous flying it. The cross bracing bars were rusty, aluminum oxidized, oil/dirt patina.....

What do you want to build?

BTW, this is a completed Champ.

Dan

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
1/22/15 2:43 p.m.

Cool project. I've always been interested in building a plane. A good friend of mine built a Kit Fox. Looks like a fun plane but I can't fit in it.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
1/22/15 4:01 p.m.

Got my tailwheel endorsement in one at Falcon Field in Arizona. High fun to $$$ ratio, but I'll never own anything with cable operated heel brakes!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
1/22/15 9:27 p.m.

Cool! Been wanting to do something like that myself with an old Cub or derivative ever since I got my A&P years ago. A Champ would fit the bill too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UXafBJN9GEloJDyvzXjS0sfgrplK2NpP2ciQl36omTBVNYNh1pDmxHtocoHC9zBw