1 2 3 4
bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/9/23 6:05 p.m.

So those that know me well, know that at heart I still love 90's Mitsubishi. And even more than that I love a good oddball car. My first fast import was a Dodge Colt GT turbo. I auto crossed the world's least powerful FSP mirage. Co-Drove an Evo 9. I was very active in the Mitsubishi community through the early 2000's. Those cheap little cars have a spot in my heart. 

Back in the day, I was messing around with a friend to build a 1.8L Mivec motor. Basically something that never was made by the factory. Think the Mitsubishi version of the B20GSR or the LS/VTEC. So I got to know the early Mivec motors pretty well and always wanted one of my own. 

So that brings us to today. I've been casually looking for a 4G92 Mivec Hatchback for a long time. When chatting with MR2S2000Elise last night, we were talking about what I was going to do to to freshen up the Integra and well google searches drifted to 90's comparo videos between the Civic Type R and the Mitsu Cyborg R. Then that drifted to gee I wonder if there are any available for sale in the US or Japan now. Which drifted to this: 

Whoops, I bought another car. 1996 Mitsubishi RS.

bmw88rider
1/9/23 6:24 p.m.

So for those who don't know Mitsubishi well, the RS models in the mid 90s were always the stripper model for motorsports. Basically just about everything was removed and a few performance adders were done.

For the CJ4A Mirage, That included seam welded chassis, faster rack, almost no sound deadening, boxed control arms, slight lowering, and a few other small things. It would have been delivered with steelies. Factory weight was 1010 KG and with the new exhaust and wheels, it's probably under 1000KG now.

The only 2 options available were AC and the LSD. This car has both. Overall, this car was a auction grade 4 with a B/B interior/Exterior rating and had a slight repair and respray to the driver's quarter. Also, it was under 70KM on the clock. (43K miles) It was a tokyo car given the toll tag system. All of this for less than half what a CTR would cost and even more than so a N1 CTR which is it's closest peer. 

4G92-MIVEC DOHC 16 Valve

Total Displacement - 1.6 L (1,597 cc)

Bore - 81 mm (3.19 in)

Stroke - 77.5 mm (3.05 in)

Compression Ratio - 11.0:1

Maximum Output - 125 kW (170 PS; 168 bhp) at 7,500 rpm

Maximum Torque - 167 N⋅m (123 lb⋅ft) at 7,000 rpm

Larger diameter headers.

Shorter ratio gearbox with factory LSD.

Added chassis/ shell strengthening.

Lighter/ thinner glass

Bigger Anti Roll Bars

Manual windows

I should have delivery by the end of the month. 

Few more pics. 

tperkins
tperkins Reader
1/9/23 6:42 p.m.

Rad, love the wheels. Plans?

bmw88rider
1/9/23 6:51 p.m.

In reply to tperkins :

Not sure yet. For sure some Autox and track days. Probably mostly suspension work for said track days.

Engine mods don't gain you a ton. Be interested as well to see the ECU in it. It was a dealer option to put the Mirage Cup ECU's in these. A lot of them got it.

I honestly have never seen a RS in the flesh till this. This is an itch that is 10 years coming to scratch so I'm either going to be in love or disappointed.

bmw88rider
1/10/23 2:49 p.m.

Everything is signed, sealed, and now just need the delivery. Waiting to hear from the transporter on when they can get it on a truck. 

Looking forward to some autox next year with it. Run XSB here with the Nebraska region. 

chiquito1228
chiquito1228 New Reader
1/10/23 3:38 p.m.

So nice to see something different. Especially on track.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/10/23 4:01 p.m.

LOVE the car and official congrats!!

Since you have been the enabler to go through all my 401K - spending it all on cars, glad to return the favor ;)

So when will the GSR come back to me? devil

bmw88rider
1/10/23 5:57 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Thanks brother. Not sure about the GSR. You may have to come pry it from my hands. You know I do love that car too. :) 

Unlike your recent buying experience, this was closed start to finish in no time flat and no crazies!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/10/23 6:01 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Thanks brother. Not sure about the GSR. You may have to come pry it from my hands. You know I do love that car too. :) 

Unlike your recent buying experience, this was closed start to finish in no time flat and no crazies!

Crazies don't own cool RS. They own EVOs LOL. 

I think with the RS and Element getting garage duty - the days of GSR is numbered...

bmw88rider
1/13/23 12:12 p.m.

Got all of the paperwork today.

I forgot that the car got the shaken done right before it was exported. So with the car, I got a fresh set of plates and the shaken certificate. Cool addition.

Now, just need the car picked up. The insurance is bought on it. Hagerty made the process really simple. I didn't even have to jump through any hoops being that it's a JDM car. 

bmw88rider
1/13/23 12:17 p.m.

So the decoding of this. The first part is the Plate Name. In this case Gunma region. (Tokyo Burbs) 530 is the engine side. then the actual plate number

bmw88rider
1/13/23 7:32 p.m.

And here is what makes the car special. Is it bad I already have a jun flywheel and cusco carbon strut bar for the rear ordered. I already got my favorite bushings for this chassis delivered. I can not wait to drive this thing. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/13/23 7:36 p.m.

Need some driving videos

MIVEC for LIFE

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/13/23 7:45 p.m.

This will be fun to watch!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/13/23 8:02 p.m.

'90's-tastic interior fabric!

bmw88rider
1/13/23 9:35 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Oh yeah. Mitsubishi did 90's fab fabric the best. Zubaz was the design influence I think for the interior. 

bmw88rider
1/16/23 2:12 p.m.

So just got the word. The mirage is loaded and inbound. Of course, just in time for the worse snow storm of the year here.  I get to see it thursday. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/16/23 2:29 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

So just got the word. The mirage is loaded and inbound. Of course, just in time for the worse snow storm of the year here.  I get to see it thursday. 

You can reroute it to me and I can store it?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/16/23 3:00 p.m.

That is so cool. I spent too much time looking at it thinking I didn't recognize it at all, then saw the right hand drive and realized - because we never got them here.

I like how the airbox is about the size of the engine!

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/16/23 3:08 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

LOVE the car and official congrats!!

Since you have been the enabler to go through all my 401K - spending it all on cars, glad to return the favor ;)

So when will the GSR come back to me? devil

With markets like they are I've seriously considered putting my 401k into other tangible things.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/16/23 3:21 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

With markets like they are I've seriously considered putting my 401k into other tangible things.

Covid economy was the best thing that happened to me in my life. 

bmw88rider
1/16/23 4:49 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

We got it's cousin here. It's related to the 1997-2001 mitsubishi mirage. This is a pretty rare version of it. I have been in the mirage circles for a while and I only know of 4 in the US including this one. 

1 is a converted mirage cup car that is getting restored as a mirage cup car, One now has a 4g63T in it, one got wrecked, and this one. They only made 1700 total over 4 years including the mirage cup cars. 

bmw88rider
1/16/23 6:42 p.m.

And of course the car on a trailer pic.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/16/23 6:49 p.m.

Really hope you get rid of the ghetto tint ASAP

Needs the OEM hatch spoiler, BAAAAD

bmw88rider
1/18/23 9:19 p.m.

So I was surprised, I actually found the rear wiper arm NOS here state side. Got to love parts bin items.

I also found the factory radio block off plate and the little storage bin that goes below it NOS as well. So I'll have the choice of either having a stereo or not. 

On other things, it may get delivered tonight. If not tonight than tomorrow. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lHt2fPrvHZupAmBY1azZK0CY5XB3hTSZ1jWsw3uuOnFXB1l5RWI96T7nvl4J3AVZ