1 2 3 4
Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
6/11/21 5:04 p.m.

Have we accomplished anything? Yes but this is still like the best photo ever.

Stock E39 cupholders are awful I've owned this thing for like three weeks and it's already caused both PHG and I to do emergency pants shopping... This is easier for a portly gentlemen who already buy all their clothes at tractor supply. 

These are the best E39 cupholders on the market... They also suck. Now I appreciate a car that assists in my addictions and the number of ashtrays in this thing suggests it knows me but we gotta get something together for the coffee transport situation. 

What of GI... He's got some new shoes... Yes they're 195s stretched onto 8" wheels yes I felt icky while doing it. Now sporting a surprisingly good Chinese tri-y header and 2.5" exhaust it's super annoying. The ac and remote start are also working again because I know how to take a hint. 

BI's bottom end together except for an oil pan/pick-up. Will a Chinese aluminium oil pan stand up to rallyx the way we drive? Almost certainly no but neither Honda or Moroso are making the necessary parts these days. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/21 5:20 p.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

The DSM has an APC copy of a Moroso pan on it, and while the welds aren't the prettiest, it seems well made. It won't be seeing any rallyx use though, so I can't really speculate on that. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
6/11/21 8:07 p.m.

I come from the turbo dodge world the only thing that leaks worse than a Moroso neon pan is well nothing really. The obx copy is surprisingly good. I'm hoping the same is true of the Honda equivalents 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
8/11/21 4:16 p.m.

Ugh let's just fast forward through the last several weeks. 

Let's start with new stuff... 

PHG got herself a birthday present. We've ruined each other... 10 328xi manual 34,000mi an apparently unaffected by the current swing in used car prices. Current plans are non existent just drive. 

With rallycrosses approaching and me in DESPERATE need of some time behind the wheel. We decided to buy a car... Something cheap, ideally something a little speedy, if it could be $1500 or so and an orphan make or model that's even better...

Hmmm I do like green cars and an overly low Integra LS with GSR blades seems like a perfect rallyx car... 

What's with the little gray blob under the taillight? 

Or the big gray blob under the hood... 

Yeah bought a running driving turbo GSR for $1500... Insert Bob Ross quote about waiting for the happy times? These my friends are the happy times. 

Some fresh fuel, injector cleaning, a battery, and a semi-competent tune has her/him running beautifully. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/21 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

Wow! surprise

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/21 9:11 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Byrneon27 :

Wow! surprise

Wow is right!

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
8/23/21 8:03 p.m.

Little reworking of the turbo kit is necessary to not you know set the car on fire so we started with that. 

Out with the inexplicably cut Sportlines and blown out Sensitracs.

Agx-es and H&R OE sport springs... "Find the tallest stiffest lowering springs you can and pray" 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
9/4/21 7:40 p.m.

Quick name your least favorite trackside repair... Our weekend got off to a hell of a start. 

After a Friday night/Saturday morning thrash we had functioning brakes, one pass up and down what passes for a highway in rural WV gets us a close enough in boost tune to not hurt it. 

Lots of idle time, a parade lap, and one under power on the hottest day I can remember had her a little warm. 

If you need this information/warning covering your skin in brake fluid and standing around in the sun all day renders one with a similar complexion of a rotisserie chicken... 0/10 do not recommend. 

Saturday night brought torrential rain and well earned tequila. Sunday morning I created airflow using nothing but a hangover and 10mm socket. Ran like hell until the Chinabay graphite turbo gasket blew. 

We have about three weeks for actual prep... New turbo setup, functional radiator, and some fender trimming are all on the list. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/4/21 8:05 p.m.

Nice fun in the dirt, and I'm seriously jealous of your smartly titled build thread.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
9/7/21 7:05 p.m.

New exhaust manifold has arrived! Giving away some power for durability and packaging 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
1/3/22 8:32 p.m.

Got the best buck of my life using nothing but my nicest car... Not pictured is the giant oil cooler I finally fit under the sorority girl spec bumper

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
1/3/22 8:39 p.m.

The turbo gsr has gotten out of hand. A valve job and turbo change has turned into: 

LS/Vtec 1.8 10.8:1 compression

Chinese GTX 3071r gen 2 copy

Oh and awd... S1 built was having a sale. 

Looking for a neat little street toy 2600lb 500hp 

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/4/22 8:15 a.m.

The poor e90. :(

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
1/6/22 4:50 p.m.

You're telling me... Em hit a rock or something on her way home last week your under tray, wheel liner, and a set of Marketplace's finest Blizzaks became her Christmas present. This winter hasn't been kind to E90s around these parts

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/7/22 10:53 p.m.

This is my new favorite shenanigans thread need moar honda in my life

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
1/9/22 9:29 p.m.

Just wanna take a minute to nerd out about how nice this S1 Built kit is. We're in a lucky spot as enthusiasts now that $2500 can buy well engineered well executed stuff like this. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
1/9/22 9:34 p.m.

Interior most of the way out.

Fuel cell mock up. Differential goes where the fuel tank wants to. 

The fun parts table. 

In this pile lies the makings of a LOW 10 second FWD challenge pass 

I suppose it's about time for a challenge CRX update...

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
3/27/22 4:46 p.m.

Post challenge life is rough. Lots of changes. Car content updates soon. How freaking cool are giant forklift thingies?

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
7/9/22 8:03 p.m.

Little update in reverse order... 

Get yourselves a good one, actually true of both partners and tire mounting equipment. Unfortunately a smoking deal came by way of one of our brothers here passing away. Putting more thought than I probably should be into "what happens to all this when I die" today. 

New house has room for a little iRacing setup. I'm terrible at iRacing

Very possibly my favorite customer car ever. Very mild bolt on K24A2 all street tuned. 

Extremely slow but ongoing E90 repairs. Finally after almost eight months I have the headlights

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/11/22 9:52 a.m.

Perfect thing for a birthday, hahaha. 

Next time I'm around I might have to try out the iRacing setup, been tossing that idea around a bit myself. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
7/31/22 8:57 p.m.

Challenge CRX is being killed by material shortages/cost and the materials to make the front clip and wings is just unobtainable right now. It will be back. It will be scary fast. 

Good news is I've turned up a stand in car early this year... 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
7/31/22 9:00 p.m.

Do we still live in a world where straight, rust free, built, $500 GLH-Ts still exist? Evidently we do. Looking forward to this trip back to my roots

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
8/13/22 7:43 p.m.

This is the weekend for picking up new stuff. This is Shelby Lancer #312 another one from Paul (donebrokeit on here) 's collection. Missing the DX77 but complete and untouched otherwise. A little floor rust, not really sure what the plan is but happy I was able to save a real Whittier built car from the crusher. Interesting fact this car wasn't delivered to a dealership for sale but was delivered to Shelby Whittier. Could have been an employee car I doubt it has a particularly interesting story these things were hard to sell. 

Heading to MD bright and early tomorrow for the challenge Omni 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
8/14/22 2:01 p.m.

First time in 23 years it has seen the sun. Quick lunch pit stop the back to the shop to see what we're working with 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
8/14/22 7:53 p.m.

Block casting number suggests it's a late build non common block TI 

Pulling the head (in 17 minutes nice to know turbo dodge wrenching is like riding a sharp greasy bicycle) revealed no cross drilling of the deck. Pulling the oil pan showed a fair bit of junk, thin mains, cast crank, and the nightmarishly weak "LW" rods. Short block is junk. 

It does have a 782 casting fastburn head (most people prefer the earlier G head casting) most turbo dodge tuners are also way agressive with ignition timing so obviously the larger rounder chamber makes more sense to them. 

This was a DIY GLHS sporting 87 electronics (divorced map sensor) a TII Garrett, TII injectors, intake, throttle body etc. The intercooler appears to be less dense than the GLHS intercooler I have to compare possibly Super 60. The head is pretty well worked over Comp beehive springs, Comp's version of an S60 cam. Stock size valves. 

So where do we go? Well I'm furiously trying to find a TII short block. If anybody in internet land has one please get in touch 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E6egNxelnRFtKdRgnrvFTr7Rg7SzRrXgITr6YU9xbOxXPTwo5DHZHjAUtj4SRG5n